LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New- How goes it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 01:40 AM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~My Donor LS400~

Just wanted to post something so I don't feel guilty for lingering around here and not saying anything.

Just got back from Okinawa and picked up a '97 LS400 as a DD and the future donor for my Corona.
I'll be doing most of the engine work while it's in this car, so I'm think it's fair to say I'll be modding this a bit.
I've been looking through the stickies for info. Not having any problems finding info yet, so I don't really have any questions, but when the time comes, I'll ask if needed.

As for the car. It's not in perfect condition, which makes me happy.
It needs a new MAF (already have one, just need to install it), the ABS light is on which I'm not worried about, needs a new traction control switch, and needs a new tail light.
The interior is a little torn/cracked, so I may look for some new front seats and arm rest, but it all depends. I'd like to swap the interior to something other than tan, but I also don't want to put much into the body/interior since I'm not sure if I'll keep it after I pull the engine or not.

Anyway. I only have one picture right now.

Here's my Corona the engine will be going in. Doesn't look as good as this pic anymore, but it will look better one day.

Last edited by c72c; 04-21-12 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 06:11 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

lIKE YOUR PICTURE ON oKINAWA, oH i miss those days....Was stationed just north of Kadena at a Army base with a detachment of Navy Security Group. I bet that island has changed a lot since 1971. Some of the best snorkeling in the world....Love the people there....So you are going to stick the v-8 in the corona?
Old 03-16-12, 07:11 AM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
lIKE YOUR PICTURE ON oKINAWA, oH i miss those days....Was stationed just north of Kadena at a Army base with a detachment of Navy Security Group. I bet that island has changed a lot since 1971. Some of the best snorkeling in the world....Love the people there....So you are going to stick the v-8 in the corona?

I saw some pictures from the 60s and 70s in Okinawa. It's way different, lol. My grandpa was there around 70 also.
I already miss it, but I've only been gone a week, I guess it's to be expected. I was stationed on Kadena.

Yes, I will be putting the v8 in the corona.
Old 03-16-12, 08:13 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

glad to have you here on board.... you cant drive better than LS, different but not better for me, anyway. WELCOME!
Old 03-16-12, 12:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

welcome, have fun with the swap. OBDII will make things "interesting"

also note that your '97 has a "unique" immobilizer setup that you will need to account for.
Old 03-16-12, 04:30 PM
bwils
Driver School Candidate

you were stationed at Torii? my moms okinawan i grew up there. I miss spear fishing haha

but the corona is soo sick. was it really expensive to ship over?
Old 03-17-12, 07:19 AM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
glad to have you here on board.... you cant drive better than LS, different but not better for me, anyway. WELCOME!
Thanks.
I like it so far. It's definitely different. I'm used to sports cars and classics, it's quite a change for me.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
'97 has a "unique" immobilizer setup that you will need to account for.
Could you explain this a bit better? or point me in the direction of some info on it? I'm working on getting familiar with the engine, but have no clue what you're talking about.

I bought this LS from a friend of mine. He's actually doing the same swap on his 71 Crown. I think his engine is a 95 though.

Originally Posted by bwils
you were stationed at Torii? my moms okinawan i grew up there. I miss spear fishing haha

but the corona is soo sick. was it really expensive to ship over?
I was stationed on Kadena.

I got out easy with the shipping. The military pays for one car to be shipped and since mine is over 25 years old, I didn't have to go through an importer, so it was as simple as filling out some paper work. The most expensive part of it all will be renting a truck/trailer to tow it from Dallas to Albuquerque in a few months.
Old 03-17-12, 08:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by c72c
Thanks.
I like it so far. It's definitely different. I'm used to sports cars and classics, it's quite a change for me.

Could you explain this a bit better? or point me in the direction of some info on it? I'm working on getting familiar with the engine, but have no clue what you're talking about.

I bought this LS from a friend of mine. He's actually doing the same swap on his 71 Crown. I think his engine is a 95 though.

I was stationed on Kadena.

I got out easy with the shipping. The military pays for one car to be shipped and since mine is over 25 years old, I didn't have to go through an importer, so it was as simple as filling out some paper work. The most expensive part of it all will be renting a truck/trailer to tow it from Dallas to Albuquerque in a few months.
read up. lextreme will also help you with the swap.
http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
Old 04-13-12, 09:07 PM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.

A little more on the Lexus.

Moved into the new place last week, still an empty house though, none of my stuff is here yet.

Anywho, my buddy Paul sent a few parts from upgarage for me...

Hood spoiler.

I have to fix two cracks on it, otherwise, just needs paint.

LED tails

LED (left) OEM (right)

Sunroof visor.

and today he went and picked up the suspension and ordered the rear toe links. Should have them in about two weeks, then hopefully some tools to install the coil overs by the time they get here..

Also on the list as soon as I get my tools, timing belt replacement. The sticker shows it was changed at 60k miles in 2001.... it's now at 204k miles and the belt is clearly ready to go.
Old 04-21-12, 01:15 PM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting on my tools to get here, should be this week sometime, then I can get the new timing belt kit and water pump on.

To keep myself busy this weekend, decided to pick up some materials to do some fiberglass work.
So far, I'm 50% done with the hood spoiler. I need to go get a block and some more sandpaper so I can smooth it out.
Here's the damage before. Left side.

before I knocked down all the rough stuff.

right side. Not as bad, but harder to get inside it.

Started making some eyelids this morning. So far I have the base for the corner lights. Going to pull the headlights in a few minutes and get them done. Then I won't be able to do anything until my tools get here so I can trim them and finish.

rough sketch of what they'll look like.

Had a little issue with the resin for a second, so the right one is pretty thick. lol

Also got a pic of the tails during the day.
Old 04-21-12, 02:57 PM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

and the headlight half.

Headlight and corner light base.
Old 04-21-12, 09:30 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to see the finished product..
Old 04-28-12, 06:57 AM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Long day.
Started yesterday around 11am, finished about 2 hours ago.

New parts-
Spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets
Water pump
Timing belt kit (belt with pulleys)

Ran into a few problems not having certain tools, but with the help of a stranger, I got what I needed.

Here are some pics for fun.

Right bank

Left bank

Making the crank bolt my *****. lol

After all the new parts where on and just needed the cover parts installed.

Ended the morning by putting some different wheels on. Now if only Paul would hurry up and send my suspension.
Old 05-13-12, 01:38 AM
c72c
Driver School Candidate

Started the day passing emissions with the Courier. Went over to a friends house, helped him work on the bug, ate some food, stole his jack and jackstands and headed back home to put the suspension on.

Here's how it was sitting when I got home.

Made the wheel wells look pretty.

And took it for a test drive.

Results....
Front - kept the height where they were when I got them, dampening set at 3/20.
Rear - Raised 1/4" from where they were, dampening at 7/20.

The ride is amazing, but that's also compared to the blown suspension I had and the bump stop bangin/ truck suspension. lol
Ivy looked at it before she went to bed and was upset with how low it set. She doesn't like getting in/out of low cars, but I think she'll appreciate the handling.
Also tested out the ground clearance... the downpipes are much stronger than I expected. lol Made sweet love to a speed bump.
I can set my iPhone on it's side and there's about 5mm clearance between it and the exhaust.

So, that's about it for now.
Old 05-13-12, 08:13 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the eye lids comming along?

Quick Reply: New- How goes it?