LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 11:54 PM
LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here.

Hey guys, how's it going. Anyways, Im new here to Club Lexus. I have been reading and browsing for some years. How ever I have not owned a lexus, but I knew I would someday. My Dad has owned a LS400, that he got from his Dad, so its been in the family since it was born!

Anyways. I am here to find out some info on them as modification's go. What are some good sites that sell parts for the LS4oo?

Also, I am planning to do a complete rebuild on the motor and the interior of the car seeing as it is 22 years old, and completely original. The car right now has 282k miles on it. And it is starting to show. The power has gone down some what. And its starting to make a noise from the engine, really nothing major, no knocking or anything like that. But it just sounds like it running a little rough. Its also burning oil, you can smell it after you get done running the car and park it. It leaked some oil for a little bit, but is no longer doing it.

So, my question is this. Do I rebuild it, or just find a motor that has 50-100k miles on it? Which would be cheaper? Obviously, I am not going to have a lexus dealer do the work, I dont have the money to spend like that. I am thinking I want to rebuild the whole motor and start from scratch, as I want to turbo the car in the near future.

Which brings me to another question, who is building LS4oo in the So-cal area? Anyone know what kind of power this make for daily driving on smaller turbo's? I don't want anything crazy since I will daily drive that car, and I live in the desert where it is hot. ... It does not seem like alot of people are building these up. After being around the car for so long, I realize how well these engines are built, they just need some more power! So how well do these 1UZ's hold up with a couple of turbo on it and stock internals?

Thank you so much for the help, I hope I enjoy my stay here!!!

Pictures in a second!
Old 03-13-12, 07:06 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

just read all the stickys at the top of the listings.... and welcome to the club.
Old 03-13-12, 12:17 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look for a JY motor first. With a JY motor, you could keep the car going while you build your dream setup.
Old 03-13-12, 12:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

A salvaged working motor is a good idea while you figure out how you want to build the car.
Old 03-13-12, 01:21 PM
LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

RA40, who in Cali has parts for this?
Old 03-13-12, 04:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

www.car-part.com
Old 03-13-12, 08:12 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Im new to posting here also but WELCOME!
Imo I would probably buy a junk yard motor and rebuild that while keeping the old engine limping along. Then swap in the already rebuilt one. at that point ou could either rebuild and sell the old engine or just cash it in for a core if you can.

good luck!
Old 03-14-12, 02:18 AM
LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j2b4o
Im new to posting here also but WELCOME!
Imo I would probably buy a junk yard motor and rebuild that while keeping the old engine limping along. Then swap in the already rebuilt one. at that point ou could either rebuild and sell the old engine or just cash it in for a core if you can.

good luck!
Hey! Yeah, I got alot of things on my mind. I have a 2jz sitting here waiting for a miata to go into, so I might go that route, all though I am not 100% on anything yet. I want to make the car look good before I really get into the motor. The paint is starting to fade, which is natural for a 20+ year old car. So I will be wrapping the car in white all the way around to keep it nice. I plan on doing this very soon.

I have a pair of HRE's that I am waiting to get from a buddy of mine that are going to look killer on this car with the white paint. I also have a buddy that build custom things out of carbon fiber. So I will be doing some custom carbon fiber mods on the car as well. I want to make a one off LS400, the car has been in the family my whole life. So I want to make it real special. As far as the carbon fiber goes that options are unlimited. My first plan for the carbon is a nice lipped wing on the trunk of the car, and a nice sunroof scoop. I will see about getting the interior's wood all replaced in carbon fiber as well. But I want it to be as solid as original and not rattle at all.

As for the car in its current shape, its not limping by any means. It still has plenty of its power. But no telling whats wrong in the motor right now, but as far as I can tell its nothing really major. I hope
Old 03-14-12, 02:29 AM
Stan93gs
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the car is in good hands. Welcome