LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Studio 2.1 Camber Adapters Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 05:17 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studio 2.1 Camber Adapters Installed

a few people asked for me to post up pictures of the install of the Sudio pieces that I got recently. Big thanks to Mike from Original-Garage for all the help and answering my questions. These pieces are very easy to install. I've never worked with a product that literally lines everything up before you bolt it in, haha.

Here are the tips that I was given and that I have after installing the camber adapters;

-threaded side goes to ball joint, and sleeved side goes to the knuckle.
-bolt up the knuckle side first.
-one of the bolts that goes into the knuckle goes into a close end. The bolt is a few MMs too long and should be ground down slightly before you install and tighten all the way.

As I said, the install was easy and took me and a friend 30 minutes to do each side. What we weren't expecting is how low the car would be. The camber you get with these plates is definitely a lot, but the drop is even more. I had to re-work my fenders on the spot to get the car driveable at this height. Also, my factory 16s won't clear the tie-rod anymore. The back of the wheel hits the tie-rod.

Here are a couple pics of the plates installed:

Now here is a photo of my car prior to the camber adapters:

Here is a shot after the camber plates. All I installed were the camber plates. Keep in mind, my car is NOT on coilovers or bags:

the car drives fine. I still need an alignment to get the toe sorted (prior issue), and I'm surprised my UCAs don't hit my shock towers. If anyone is selling, I am looking for a rear SS kit now
Old 03-08-12, 05:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

interesting, i've had my eye on some of the Studio (and other company) pieces for a while now but i'm really not a fan unless you NEED THEM to fit a set of wheels....

what interests me more now is what set of wheels you've got in the pipeline
Old 03-08-12, 05:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

looks great! i just hit up kyle for a set but alas there are none in stock atm. i'm curious to see what you meant by the stock wheels not fitting due to the tierod? aren't you simply moving the knuckle out, thus the tierod end should follow? please explain more if you can.
Old 03-08-12, 06:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
looks great! i just hit up kyle for a set but alas there are none in stock atm. i'm curious to see what you meant by the stock wheels not fitting due to the tierod? aren't you simply moving the knuckle out, thus the tierod end should follow? please explain more if you can.

RCAs are meant to correct roll center by spacing the lower pivot (LBJ) to compensate for a lowered car's geometry (and in the case of an NRCA, to angle the spindle for more camber). you lose wheel clearance depending on the thickness of the RCA, but gain suspension travel and proper steering/suspension geometry.

the classic thickness for an RCA is ~15mm as back in the day cars werent lowered much more than an inch or 2, but with modern cars (and older cars with modern suspension) being lowered much more, 20 and 25mm RCAs are becoming common. However, RCAs don't really help correct roll center (and fix bump steer!) when used to LOWER a car. the correct way to use them is to install them, and raise the height of the coilover or air suspension (original intent on the LS anyways, for suspension controller equipped cars) the thickness of the RCA. this way the ride height stays the same, and roll center is corrected.
Old 03-08-12, 06:30 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
interesting, i've had my eye on some of the Studio (and other company) pieces for a while now but i'm really not a fan unless you NEED THEM to fit a set of wheels....

what interests me more now is what set of wheels you've got in the pipeline
I don't even know what specs I would be going for, haha. Honestly, I'm completely lost on the front fitment now. I mean, they need to tuck so I can turn. I can't run them super flush anymore because I won't be able to turn. I'll be working with my friends at Wheel-Flip though on a new set of wheels.

basically what happened is what you said. The tie-rod end moved and when we tried to bolt up the stock 16s, the back of the rim would come in contact with the tie-rod end. 17s should clear, but I'll be looking for a set of 18" LS430 wheels or just a cheap set of 18s I can mount all-seasons to.
Old 03-08-12, 06:32 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
RCAs are meant to correct roll center by spacing the lower pivot (LBJ) to compensate for a lowered car's geometry (and in the case of an NRCA, to angle the spindle for more camber). you lose wheel clearance depending on the thickness of the RCA, but gain suspension travel and proper steering/suspension geometry.

the classic thickness for an RCA is ~15mm as back in the day cars werent lowered much more than an inch or 2, but with modern cars (and older cars with modern suspension) being lowered much more, 20 and 25mm RCAs are becoming common. However, RCAs don't really help correct roll center (and fix bump steer!) when used to LOWER a car. the correct way to use them is to install them, and raise the height of the coilover or air suspension (original intent on the LS anyways, for suspension controller equipped cars) the thickness of the RCA. this way the ride height stays the same, and roll center is corrected.
knowledge, this man has it
Old 03-08-12, 06:33 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now lower the rears to match!
Old 03-08-12, 06:35 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vincent123
find me a rear SS kit and I will!
Old 03-08-12, 11:59 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OMFG! Ima get my set asap! I think this will help me lower my front now! Im sold! Thanks Kaiyin!
Old 03-09-12, 12:04 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

STUDIO parts are top notch. big ups to kyle and ian for making it happen on these chassis's.
Old 03-09-12, 07:41 AM
ca18det
Rookie

Before looks so much better.
Old 03-09-12, 01:03 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
i don't think he has coilovers to adjust.
Old 03-09-12, 01:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Curious what the camber is at after this...
Old 03-09-12, 01:50 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleepywgn
OMFG! Ima get my set asap! I think this will help me lower my front now! Im sold! Thanks Kaiyin!
haha, no problem man. Your front will definitely come down

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
STUDIO parts are top notch. big ups to kyle and ian for making it happen on these chassis's.
like I said, I have never worked with a product that fit so flawlessly.

Originally Posted by ca18det
Before looks so much better.
different strokes...

give me a few months and I'll have it looking good again. Just need to re-work my fenders, smooth everything out and paint.

i don't think he has coilovers to adjust.
you would be correct. I'll probably remedy that at some point, lol.

Originally Posted by RA40
Curious what the camber is at after this...
me too...I need to find a shop by me with an in-ground alignment rack, haha
Old 03-15-12, 04:48 PM
Cuban GS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my intention is not to thread-jack but to provide futher support for the parts in question. along with other supporting mods to the front, i have been running 1.5inch STUDIO RCAs for about 8+ months now and i love them!

Suspension-PBM Coilovers
Front Wheel Specs- 19x9 et 0
Camber-(-11)
Daily Driven

Quick Reply: Studio 2.1 Camber Adapters Installed