LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

cost of maintenance and common repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 09:52 PM
xinkid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost of maintenance and common repairs

Hi, I saw a 98 LS400 on local craigslist with 145k miles. I will try to look at the car tomorrow. I have a question about cost and frequency of common repairs. Here's a list I have come up with from searching and reading the forums ( a lot !) Your help is greatly appreciated.

Part / mileage interval / cost (parts + labor)
motor mounts
power steering pump
ball joints and tie rod ends
shocks
bushings
wheel bearings
timing belt + water pump
brake pads
brake rotors
brake calipers(?)
spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor

more about the car: it has maintenance records, timing belt was changed last year, recent brakes and fairly new michelin tires. asking $7k. Seems like the owner really cared for his car. What do you think?
Old 02-27-12, 10:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

motor mounts probably due, ~$200-300 in parts, labor intensive at a shop
power steering pump less common in the newer cars but something to check
ball joints and tie rod ends not a mileage item, but is common wear. check for play, if fine, leave alone.
shocks probably due, new KYB Oem replacements can be had for ~$250/set
bushings big ones to check are front strut rod bushings (~$70-200 in parts depending), and rear carrier arm bushings (~$40 in parts for aftermarket)
wheel bearings not common issue, check and replace if needed.
timing belt + water pump ~$450-500 in OEM parts, plus $300-500 in labor depending.
brake pads wear item, ~$35-50/pair
brake rotors wear item, ~$90/pair for brembo/centric blanks (price varies)
brake calipers(?) wear item, rarely die. rebuild kits from $20 and up.
spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor no cap/rotor/wires in '98+ cars, COP ignition.
Old 02-28-12, 07:53 AM
xinkid
Rookie

Thank you drifter! that' was helpful.
I just thought of one more that is important:

axle boots / cv joints ?
Old 02-28-12, 08:52 AM
moat
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
motor mounts probably due, ~$200-300 in parts, labor intensive at a shop
power steering pump less common in the newer cars but something to check
ball joints and tie rod ends not a mileage item, but is common wear. check for play, if fine, leave alone.
shocks probably due, new KYB Oem replacements can be had for ~$250/set
bushings big ones to check are front strut rod bushings (~$70-200 in parts depending), and rear carrier arm bushings (~$40 in parts for aftermarket)
wheel bearings not common issue, check and replace if needed.
timing belt + water pump ~$450-500 in OEM parts, plus $300-500 in labor depending.
brake pads wear item, ~$35-50/pair
brake rotors wear item, ~$90/pair for brembo/centric blanks (price varies)
brake calipers(?) wear item, rarely die. rebuild kits from $20 and up.
spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor no cap/rotor/wires in '98+ cars, COP ignition.
Where can we buy Brembo rotors for $90/pair? Is this for OE Replacement or OE Comparable? Is OE Comparable good enough? or should we buy OE Replacement?
Old 02-28-12, 02:50 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Here's my list since I bought mine, the mileage is listed at the oil change, still sitting at 145k. I gotta do the timing belt, cap/rotors, spark plugs, ignition wires, water pump pretty soon. Estimating about $500 in just parts.

EDIT: Forgot I have to do valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets too. I want my engine bay running pristine when I start the vip conversion.

My list won't seem like much or a lot of money to most people, but this is doing work off a college student income and no job (G.I. Bill)

cost of maintenance and common repairs-a47pl.png

Last edited by Shiryo; 02-28-12 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 04:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by xinkid
Thank you drifter! that' was helpful.
I just thought of one more that is important:

axle boots / cv joints ?
not a common issue, only replace if leaking or obvious play. good idea to check the tq on the rear axle-diff bolts. (hex).

Originally Posted by moat
Where can we buy Brembo rotors for $90/pair? Is this for OE Replacement or OE Comparable? Is OE Comparable good enough? or should we buy OE Replacement?
OE-comparable. Brembo and Centric are both huge companies that make very high quality stock replacement parts. i just checked tirerack (rockauto may have them cheaper) and they have raised the price in the past 3-4 years. centric plans are $52/each, brembo blanks are ~$85/each.
Old 02-29-12, 03:01 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Centric is supposedly a supplier for Brembo, I thought all their stuff was in-house. Centric also makes StopTech brakes which is one of Brembo's competitors.

I went with Centric E-Line pads and rotors from PartsGeek.net and that ran me $150 shipped. I think Advanced Auto Parts had them for $145 shipped. These are coated so that the areas the pads do not touch never rust.
Old 02-29-12, 07:51 AM
awdandrwd
Driver

Where do you get GR2s for $250/set? $400, sure.

Stan
Old 02-29-12, 11:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i always wondered if LSs had a balljoint problem like the GSs do. as in they will catastrophically fail esp if lowered a lot. is this true? i apologize if this isn't relevant to the OP but i may just be important to know.
Old 02-29-12, 12:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by awdandrwd
Where do you get GR2s for $250/set? $400, sure.

Stan
my mistake, the price has gone up in the last few years. Going rate for the GR-2/Excel-G (new name, same line) is ~340-350 on amazon. lower if you've got a local hookup.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i always wondered if LSs had a balljoint problem like the GSs do. as in they will catastrophically fail esp if lowered a lot. is this true? i apologize if this isn't relevant to the OP but i may just be important to know.
even on the GS the balljoints don't fail RANDOMLY. they fail when people don't think to replace them and then repeatedly ignore symptoms of impending failure.

I replaced mine after having had the car low for a couple years and was putting my megans in, just as a preventative measure. they were already starting to go.
Old 03-26-12, 09:02 AM
xinkid
Rookie

Hi, I made a spreadsheet with my planned maintenance/repairs after buying my 98 LS with 86k. I figured if I do everything I listed below every 90k miles, I'd be set for the next 90k, mostly. Here are my estimated costs just so you know. I wonder if anyone else has done this.

motor mounts $600 labor + parts (do I have to do this every 90k? The shop said they are due but how do I check them myself? Also what is the negative consequences of not doing them? The engine and tranny still feel very smooth)
ball joints (fronts only) $165 parts, self labor (shop also said they are due)
shocks + boots (KYB) $500 parts, self labor
bushings (PureDrifter: big ones to check are front strut rod bushings (~$70-200 in parts depending), and rear carrier arm bushings (~$40 in parts for aftermarket (Adus))) Is this an every 90k item?
wheel bearings, I hear one of them quite loud. Do you recommend OEM or other brand? (OEM parts are 60 for front and 150 or rear each, self labor + paying a shop to press the new one in.
timing belt + water pump ~$1200 parts + labor to include the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and gaskets, drive belt and thermostate.
brake pads, Are Centric pads recommended? like this one?
Amazon Amazon
They are ~$120 parts, self labor
brake rotors (PureDrifter: ~$90/pair for brembo/centric blanks) Do I always have to do this with pads?
All fluids flushed every 30k, so 3X$500 to do that at the dealer = $1500 (I hate dealing with fluids and climbing under the car, so I only work on suspension )
injector cleaning at the dealer ~$100
M1 EP synthetic oil and filter and air and cabin filter every 10k 9X$200 = $1800 (overestimating here parts + labor)
That adds up to $6400 every 90k miles to keep it running as good as it can, including some items that I question their frequency. That's $711 per 10k miles which for me is about 1 year. That's not bad at all I guess.

More questions about how often some parts need replacement:
upper front A-arm with ball joint?
Are there rear ball joints I have to worry about?

I drive the car real easy, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by xinkid; 03-26-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 10:54 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i too wonder about the upper a-arm ball joint. should that be replaced as well?

here is a good link to the rear bushings, FYI.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-bushings.html

Last edited by timmy0tool; 03-26-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 01:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

-engine mounts are due when they start to cause a slightly rough feel/noise or are physically separated. there's no real danger from lagging to replace them, but the worse they get the more NVH you will feel.
-ball joints are due when there is play, the front LBJs tend to start to go around 70-100k miles depending on age/mileage/conditions. Upper ball joints (front+rear) tend to last a fair bit longer, and should be replaced when there is play in them or the ball socket is no longer stiff when removed from the spindle.
-strut rod bushings tend to die, it's a sacrificial part of the suspension to keep the ride so smooth. Just monitor for tearing, they should last at least 60-80k miles but age here is as big a factor as mileage (make sure they are installed in the arms properly as they need to be clocked right, and torqued once on the ground.) rear carrier arms last a little longer, probably 100k or so, depending on age.
-there are a number of pad options, i personally am partial to the Axxis Deluxe Ceramic. should be ~$100set if you look around.
-wheel bearing: have a GOOD mech confirm that it's the problem, you can either replace with OEM or just buy a used spindle.
-you do not need to REPLACE the rotors every brake job, you should have them resurfaced or at least sand the top most layer down with a scotchbrite pad to give the new pads something to bite into. only replace when getting near the minimum thickness.
-find a qualified independent mech to do your fluid changes, using genuine lextoy fluids. save a fair bit of $$$ there.
-oil of your choice (6qts) +filter shouldnt be nearly that much. granted I do it myself but the Group IV PAO/Ester based oil I use runs me ~$35-40 (for 2 gallons, i have about 1.5-2qts left) and a HIGH quality Napa Gold oil filter runs me ~$6-8. (napa's gold line is made by Wix and testing has shown them to be on par or superior compared to most all other high grade filters). M1 is a lot of marketing to pay for. regardless of the oil, I wouldnt run past 5-8k miles unless you have oil analysis results that tell you to run longer.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-26-12 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 01:30 PM
xinkid
Rookie

I mentioned it here. sorry the list is hard to read, I should have made a table. Any answers appreciated.
Originally Posted by xinkid
timing belt + water pump ~$1200 parts + labor to include the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and gaskets, drive belt and thermostate.
Old 03-27-12, 02:43 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for OEM Front strut rod bushings from Sewell? I got a rough estimate of $70 each for aftermarket bushings from my mechanic today. My 99 LS with 140k needs them bad.

Quick Reply: cost of maintenance and common repairs