LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Key won't unlock/lock door

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 09:20 PM
mvbls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't unlock/lock door

I have a 91 ls400 and this morning the key wouldn't open the door. It was just stuck and wouldn't turn at all. The PO already replaced the passenger side door handle and the key I got with the car never opened that side. So I slim jimmed the passenger side and opened up the driver's side door panel to see what the problem was. After using wd40 on everything it still didn't work. The linkage for the lock seems to be working fine, when I put it back together the key wouldn't turn either way.

Where can I get a key assembly? I see lots of door handles without the key assembly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-08-12, 05:12 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back apart and take a pic of it and then goto the junkyard and take a pic from one there and get the parts from the jy too. It's an easy fix. As far as the key u might have to get one remade!! Or that door was replaced before u bought it!!
Old 02-08-12, 05:27 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I am assuming you were able to lock and unlock the door manually..... if this is so, that eliminates the actual lock from the problem, and now you need to address the cylinder and key.... disconnect the rod from the C&K to the lock assy. being careful not to break the little clips (see photo) then if you still cannot turn the C&K, remove the handle from the door so you can take the C&K out, and see where it is binding up. that should cure your problem. I dont think you will need any parts. just lube around the C&K assembly and graphite lube in the key lock to make sure the tumblers are moving properly. PS: you might try the graphite in your lock several times, in & out, before you go to all the trouble of R&R everything...
Attached Thumbnails Key won't unlock/lock door-door-handle-clip.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door.pdf (283.3 KB, 874 views)
Old 02-08-12, 03:10 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I am assuming you were able to lock and unlock the door manually..... if this is so, that eliminates the actual lock from the problem, and now you need to address the cylinder and key.... disconnect the rod from the C&K to the lock assy. being careful not to break the little clips (see photo) then if you still cannot turn the C&K, remove the handle from the door so you can take the C&K out, and see where it is binding up. that should cure your problem. I dont think you will need any parts. just lube around the C&K assembly and graphite lube in the key lock to make sure the tumblers are moving properly. PS: you might try the graphite in your lock several times, in & out, before you go to all the trouble of R&R everything...
Agreed!! That's the best way to explain it.
Old 02-08-12, 05:06 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by mvbls400
I have a 91 ls400 and this morning the key wouldn't open the door. It was just stuck and wouldn't turn at all. The PO already replaced the passenger side door handle and the key I got with the car never opened that side. So I slim jimmed the passenger side and opened up the driver's side door panel to see what the problem was. After using wd40 on everything it still didn't work. The linkage for the lock seems to be working fine, when I put it back together the key wouldn't turn either way.

Where can I get a key assembly? I see lots of door handles without the key assembly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
There is a good possibilty that the key is worn out. Its been 20 yrs and depending how many times its been in and out of the lock that could be. Does your other key work?
Old 02-12-12, 11:59 AM
mvbls400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone! and thanks for the info Billy I will definitely try the graphite lube in the keyhole first.

When I originally opened up the door panel I couldn't remove one of the bolts for the door handle. There is one on the handle that is next to the key and lock towards the rear of the car. I couldnt get the wrench to that bolt. So I disassembled the lock. When I had it removed I could turtn the key both ways and the doors would lock and unlock. When I put the lock back in, the key wont turn again. There is that rubber like gasket with the indentions that you have to line up to get the lock to turn into place and attach. I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

I will try again, do I need to remove the linkage to get to that bolt or is there some easy way that I don't know about. I

SethJon - I had a key made from the only key I have on the car. Both of them work in the ignition.
Old 02-12-12, 12:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

MV... if your C&K in the driver door, would lock & unlock the other three doors, but quit moving when the original lock was put back in, take that lock out, that is your problem ... on my old 94, my lock messed up and I went to a wrecking yard and bought one for 10$ put it in and had no more trouble.. unless I am missing something, you found your trouble..
Old 02-12-12, 03:33 PM
mvbls400
Driver School Candidate

billy, Thanks! Did you get a key with the CK you got from the junkyard? I havent been able find a CK with a Key....
Old 02-12-12, 08:19 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mvbls400
billy, Thanks! Did you get a key with the CK you got from the junkyard? I havent been able find a CK with a Key....
NO NO, I bought the lock, not the handle, the actual lock that latches to your striker on your door post...