LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension problems 96 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 07:06 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That carrier bushing is definitely under a lot of stress. It is a good candidate for replacement with a poly bush. I am going to just replace it for now and I'll take a look at the strut rod bushings and the rest of the rear end including the subframe mounts but I have a feeling I'll put a big dent in the sloppy handling.

It'll take me a week or two to get this done but I will report back with the results in case anyone is following this thread. I am planning to do the valve cover gaskets and EGR pipe next weekend so it may be the following weekend before I install the bushings. I'll keep you posted and I appreciate your input.
Old 02-05-12, 09:47 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very informative thread since our '94 (purchased 04/11 w/170K now on it) drivers side front suspension just collapsed Friday. It goes under the knife for exploratory surgery Monday.
Old 02-05-12, 11:44 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

It sounds like you have a different problem than I have. It sounds to me like you have a broken spring. However, if you have air suspension (which I know nothing about) then it could be a different problem. You should do a bit of searching on the forum and maybe start a new thread about your particular problem. If you can get a jack under it and pull the wheel off it will probably be pretty obvious what has happened. Good luck!
Old 02-05-12, 01:33 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goofaroo
It sounds like you have a different problem than I have. It sounds to me like you have a broken spring. However, if you have air suspension (which I know nothing about) then it could be a different problem. You should do a bit of searching on the forum and maybe start a new thread about your particular problem. If you can get a jack under it and pull the wheel off it will probably be pretty obvious what has happened. Good luck!
Oh, I wasn't saying I might have the same problem you have. All the other things discussed here are helpful in that I now know I need to have them checked out when it goes to the independent Lexus tech.

It's already been towed to a local shop, so maybe I'll start a thread with what the story is if newsworthy enough.
Old 02-05-12, 01:48 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I'd be interested in hearing what caused your collapse. Keep us posted.
Old 02-05-12, 02:43 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say, start with a new set of shocks (they are shocks, not struts), front and rear. No reason chasing potential bushing issues when your shocks are shot -- at 140K they certainly are shot.

My '94 had original shocks on it and when I was replacing the rears, I found both springs to be broken lol. I'm currently running KYB Excel Gs on the front and GR2s on the back with OEM springs and tophats and I'd have to say, handling and ride quality is very surprising for a car that weights so much. It is not boaty, tracks great and handles bumpy stuff like a double-wishbone setup should -- proper. KYBs were about $400 shipped. FWIW, I've gotten to be very picky about suspension setups and handling (some of our roads are crap and we also have some amazing twisties in the area). I've probably done 40 suspension swaps on at least 5 different platform cars, I tweak on that stuff.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-sagging.html

Stan
Old 02-06-12, 03:35 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I am going to fix the problem first and then take it from there. I definitely have a problem in the rear but I think I'm on the right track replacing the carrier bushing. My shocks are still functional but I'm sure that I would enjoy a new set. I'm sure that my springs are a bit weak as well after having this monster sitting on them for 16 years but my ride height is not too bad and they are still "springy" enough to keep the car at a reasonable height even when it's loaded down. I have found the set of four shocks for about $360. How were your mounts and bump stops? Did you replace them or stick with the originals?
Old 02-06-12, 04:45 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Check my thread I linked above. My front bumpstops were destroyed. Mounts were alright, but the shock dust boots (bellows) were destroyed. I had some spare Subaru stuff in the garage, so I utilized some of them instead. Rear mounts were rusted, so I used replacements I got along with the springs (mine were snapped). Rear bumpstops were still usable, dust boots were gone -- same deal, utilized spare parts.

I'd start with the rear shocks before doing anything else, seriously. It is a PITA job as you have to remove the rear seat, but it's not too bad. My biggest problem were rusted bolts at the bottom of the shocks.

As far as your shocks still working -- I can bet you $10 they are both shot and aren't working. There is no rebound damping and most compression damping is gone, too. You are bouncing around on springs alone for the most part, shocks are just going along for the ride.

Some pics of my carnage:

Stan
Old 07-31-12, 08:00 PM
josephgary
Driver School Candidate

I am having this same problem of my vehicle having a boaty type feeling but only when i turn slightly to the left doing above 40 mph. At highway speeds I cant even keep the car straight I look like a drunk driver. I have no idea what it is, I know it needs shocks the control arms and lower ball joints are in good condition, where should I start.
Old 07-31-12, 08:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What year and how many miles?
Basically shocks are the usual suspects. With those out, your mechanic/you can check how the control arm bushings appear to be without the tension. Then go from there.
Old 10-23-12, 08:00 AM
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have just bought a 1996 LS400 too and I'm having the same problems.

The car sort of wanders from side to side when driving. It is quite annoying.

Would it be quite easy to diagnose by having a look from the bottom?
Old 10-23-12, 08:53 AM
RA010623
Pit Crew

i had same problem with my 95.. it ended up to need replacement bushing on the rear differential (3 piece bushing) and new flex joint on the drive shaft that fixed the wandering rear end.
the front needed new front strut tower bar bushing and new tie rods ends.

and if you are still on stock struts they probably need replacement also.

you need to get under the check the bushing before you know what needs replacing
Old 10-23-12, 05:02 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

It turned out to be a smoking hot summer here in Oklahoma and I abandoned this project until this fall. Since then my car has gotten worse. The front right now has a nasty clunk and the handling is downright wormy. I have the Adus carrier bushings on hand for the rear but I am going to do the front first as it is by far my biggest problem. I have new Meyle upper control arms and Moog sway bushes in hand and new KYB struts on the way.

Once done, I will have replaced:

Strut rods- factory
Lower ball joints-factory
Sway bushings- Moog
Struts/shocks- KYB
Upper control arms- Meyle

I don't believe the tie rod ends are bad but I will check them while I'm there.

My question- Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and order new lower control arms and sway bar end links. Would it be feasible that my 1996 model with 144K on the clock has destroyed them as well?
Old 10-23-12, 06:20 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kenji815
i had same problem with my 95.. it ended up to need replacement bushing on the rear differential (3 piece bushing) and new flex joint on the drive shaft that fixed the wandering rear end.
the front needed new front strut tower bar bushing and new tie rods ends.

and if you are still on stock struts they probably need replacement also.

you need to get under the check the bushing before you know what needs replacing
Thanks, I'm pretty sure the struts are stock. The ride is bad enough that I think it's the struts.

Originally Posted by Goofaroo
It turned out to be a smoking hot summer here in Oklahoma and I abandoned this project until this fall. Since then my car has gotten worse. The front right now has a nasty clunk and the handling is downright wormy. I have the Adus carrier bushings on hand for the rear but I am going to do the front first as it is by far my biggest problem. I have new Meyle upper control arms and Moog sway bushes in hand and new KYB struts on the way.

Once done, I will have replaced:

Strut rods- factory
Lower ball joints-factory
Sway bushings- Moog
Struts/shocks- KYB
Upper control arms- Meyle

I don't believe the tie rod ends are bad but I will check them while I'm there.

My question- Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and order new lower control arms and sway bar end links. Would it be feasible that my 1996 model with 144K on the clock has destroyed them as well?
Thanks, I looked up OEM upper control arms and they're $550 a side! Definitely won't want to pay that, I think I'll get the Meyle ones to go in - together with new coilovers.
I'm thinking of BC Racing as they're available here and well-reviewed.
Old 10-23-12, 06:48 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

BEWARE aftermarket upper control arms!!!!!!!
Many many users have had horrible experiences with these

Quick Reply: Suspension problems 96 LS400