LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trying to Change the Look of My UCF10

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 11:09 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Change the Look of My UCF10

So I've been over the wheel fitment thread a few times now, but I'm still not sure about some stuff.
I'm trying to go for a more sporty style with my car, I want 20's but they only look good on a few 10's i've seen around here. I would like to get a slightly aggressive stance with poke but I'm not sure how.

The car as it is now.^ The 18's are 245/40 and the wheel gap annoys me.

I really like the wheels Drifter has but I haven't seen many that are similar!

thoughts on these please. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230721083434...84.m1438.l2649
Attached Thumbnails Trying to Change the Look of My UCF10-098.jpg   Trying to Change the Look of My UCF10-107.jpg  

Last edited by RA40; 01-23-12 at 10:37 PM. Reason: image tag
Old 01-23-12, 09:43 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Over 70 views and no help...

If anybody could just tell me what offsets and such to look for to get a slightly more aggressive styling I would appreciate it! For both 18's and 20's btw.

Thx
Old 01-23-12, 10:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Those 18's are nicer looking. For stance, the Megans or the other adjustable suspensions available. I'm not familiar with the offsets for the 1-LS but at least you don't have caliper clearance issues. My wild shot for 18x8" would be somewhere around +30mm and +25mm in rear conservative. For poke with light fender mods, +20 to +25.
Old 01-24-12, 02:07 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
but at least you don't have caliper clearance issues.

Originally Posted by BOOGEYMAN4
Over 70 views and no help...
No one is going to go digging around the internet and/or doing physical measurements just because they see your thread/request. I'm sure if any of those people knew the information that you were looking for they wouldn't have hesitated to post it.

IMO there really isn't any way to get a more "aggressive" look without lowering the car in some way, be it coilovers or springs and shocks.

But here's something that should help you tons with your hunt for perfect fitment; http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Sadly this application doesn't accommodate for stretched tires so you'll have to do that yourself. Reference your wheel and tire assembly you have on your car now, (diameter, width, offset, and tire size) and plug that info in one box, and then start experimenting with the other, next thing you know you'll be ordering custom wheels for mad fitment!
Old 01-24-12, 02:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you really need to go through the wheel/tire itment thread to get a feel for the fitment you want...

then find some proper wheels that come close to those widths/offsets.
Old 01-24-12, 09:19 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20x8.5 +35mm fits awesome. Not hella flushed but u wont have to stretch tires or any of that other nonsense. Just slap them on and go.

Old 01-24-12, 10:56 AM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you really need to go through the wheel/tire itment thread to get a feel for the fitment you want...

then find some proper wheels that come close to those widths/offsets.
Please see very first sentence of post, thanks.
Old 01-24-12, 11:02 AM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
Those 18's are nicer looking. For stance, the Megans or the other adjustable suspensions available. I'm not familiar with the offsets for the 1-LS but at least you don't have caliper clearance issues. My wild shot for 18x8" would be somewhere around +30mm and +25mm in rear conservative. For poke with light fender mods, +20 to +25.
Thanks for your help and do you mean my rims or the potential purchase?
The reason I'm trying to avoid body modification is because its virtually unheard of where I live.
No one knows much about doing it or how to do it properly for that matter.
Old 01-24-12, 12:09 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raddison
Sadly this application doesn't accommodate for stretched tires so you'll have to do that yourself. Reference your wheel and tire assembly you have on your car now, (diameter, width, offset, and tire size) and plug that info in one box, and then start experimenting with the other, next thing you know you'll be ordering custom wheels for mad fitment!
http://www.willtheyfit.com/
Old 01-24-12, 12:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The fitment on your current set is ok. To get the look improved you'll want to give it a lower ride height. With those current wheels and no gap, I can make a good guess that it will rub if it begins to tuck tire. If you leave a finger gap not as big a deal. What is it you want your car to resemble? Plenty of pics in the stickied threads, show us an example of what you like and we can advise.

Those 18's are conservative and unless you want stretch, you'll have sufficient rubber/sidewall to not worry about kinking a rim with most road imperfections.
Old 01-24-12, 12:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you can't really say you want a "slightly aggressive stance with poke" then say you don't want to stretch tires or modify the fenders. it's kind of like saying you want a real steak but it has to be vegetarian.

also, you would need to get a new suspension setup to drop the car down and get rid of the wheel gap. putting 20s on the car won't fix that as the overall diameter of the tires would need to be similar to stock, preserving the wheel gap to pretty much what it is now.
Old 01-24-12, 01:57 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Welp I see now that to get the look I desire would require a drop, I thought I could do it with just wheels of a certain fitment! My mistake. I'm probably gonna just get these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619 And call it a day for now. Although I'll invest in some Tanabes this summer.

And somebody please tell me that hideous fendor trim on my car didn't come stock, I think its corny looking.

Edit: I am working to improve this car and all of your input is appreciated!

Last edited by BOOGEYMAN4; 01-24-12 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 03:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

nobody i know who bought cheap generic wheels was happy with them 1-2 years down the line. better off spending your money on a set of used name brand wheels.
Old 01-24-12, 03:32 PM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
nobody i know who bought cheap generic wheels was happy with them 1-2 years down the line. better off spending your money on a set of used name brand wheels.
Lol I can't wait for the day when I consider $1200+ Cheap, besides I don't plan on keeping them on the car for that long anyway.

Edit: In so many words stuff gets old to me quick and I'm always looking for change.
Old 01-24-12, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

it is cheap. the list price on the OEM 16" wheels for my '99 was ~$600ish/each, so that alone is ~$2400 for a set.

www.vrwheels.com and memoryfab in norcal or one of the dozen other used wheel resellers probably has a solid set of used name brand wheels that you could pick up for less than that ebay crap.

Quick Reply: Trying to Change the Look of My UCF10