LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 01:49 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for?

Hey guys... I am looking at replacing my 2007 Passat with a 98-00 LS. I have had a nightmare with the Passat over the last 15 months that I have owned this thing. My invoice record is 25 pages and my windshield wipers failed in the middle of a snow storm this weekend. That was my last straw. I still have 4k left on the warranty, but, it's time to get rid of it. Anyhow, in looking at the LS, aside from the TB, what are things that I need to look for? What are some known issues that I should keep in mind? What would be a fair price to pay for one that has an average of 150000 miles? I live in the Chicago area. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-12, 02:24 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Sad to see a fellow VW person lose their interest in their vehicle. Very fun cars.

Anyways, these cars are fairly forgiving compared to every other car out there, they're tanks. But you still need to keep in mind about the usual maintenance.

Timing Belt/Water Pump is usually done together @ 75-100k. While in there spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotors might as well be replaced as well.

150k, these cars are still pretty much new.

UCF10 (1989-1994) - $2,500-$4,000 in mint condition between 90-150k
UCF20 (1995-1997) - $4,500-$7,000 in mint condition between 100-150k
UCF21 (1998-2000) - $6,250-$9,000 in mint condition between 75k-150k

Just drive it, make sure there's no clicking, jerking, overheating, make sure all features work. Start it couple times and see if the starter is good. Make sure it doesn't smoke. Should ride like a cloud and barely feel the shifting, they're 4 speed automatics. Check oil and pop the cap off when car is warm, make sure there's no sweet smells or weird gunk. Check transmission dipstick if it's red and smell it to check if the trans is burnt. Drive it slow and then get it on it, see if the trans is slipping. Brake hard a couple times and feel for vibrations after you've hit a couple stop signs (after brakes are warm). Check windows to see if they all say Toyota and check under body for crumples. Hit a few (not one, as it can be intermittent) potholes and see if there's any weird rattles or shakes. Listen and feel for vibrations at speeds around 55-85, usually just a tire balance is needed but if you hear like a grinding or whurring sound you may need to replace wheel bearings (Really pricey if you cannot do the work yourself). Also, before your drive, wipe off any fluid under the power steering reservoir. After the drive have your buddy look under the reservoir while you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock for any leaks. This can be an issue as the fluid will make it's way down and drip onto the alternator and destroy it.

Other things you can do are go on eBay and list a classified ad for the car you're interested in purchasing. Make sure it's a CLASSIFIED so you aren't charged a listing fee. Then enter the VIN# of the vehicle and you'll get a FULL FREE AutoCheck report. Choose wisely as you only get SIX free listings a year. After the 6th posting you will be charged permanently on that account, no free listings (even next year). So I would keep it at 5, just to be safe.

You can also make an owner's account on the Lexus website and when you punch in a VIN# you will get all the dealership records for the vehicle, they're very in-depth and specific with what was serviced.

Overall, when it comes to timing belt, starter, rack/pinion, steering rack and alternator; these take lots of time to replace and if you cannot do the servicing yourself, look at dropping at least a grand for each service at a dealership/independent. Other wise it's a couple hundred if you can do it yourself.

Good luck, have fun with the search and welcome to ClubLexus!

EDIT: If you're down to get dirty and do your own work, most of the harder and confusing stuff can be viewed here, otherwise search around these forums and you'll learn A LOT.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

Last edited by Shiryo; 01-22-12 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added lexls.com
Old 01-22-12, 03:03 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

Thanks for the great info. The Lexus tool is great! So far, I have found these:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Both have full service history but the 189k turns me off a little bit. As for my Passat, it is my 7th VW and I just cannot deal with all the issues anymore. Still think they're fun cars, but, not worth the rediculous amounts of $$$ to keep them running.
Old 01-22-12, 03:15 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Both look exemplary, however I too would veer off from a 190k car. Yes these things can do 300k EASY (with proper care and general maintenance) but I wouldn't look at a car with over 150k.

The changes in 1998 vs 1999 and then to 2000 are fairly "large" jumps as opposed to say a 1997 to a 1998 being the main difference is front end changes and a couple luxury comforts. The 99's come stock with HIDs, woodgrain wheel and shift ****. I like the 00 model as they come with back seat baby anchors and I would have loved that as i'm only 22 and just prepping towards the end of the decade haha.

But anyways check that link I gave you and you'll get to see the changes in years... Actually, here: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

My personal choice for a LS is the 97 Coach Edition and the 99/00 models. Settled in with a 97 Coach myself.

What other VWs did you have? I hear ya on the maintenance up-keep... That's why I went this route myself haha!
Old 01-22-12, 03:41 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

Thanks for the info! I will get out ans test drive some of these and go from there. I hear ya on the 190k... It's a little high. As for VWs, I had an 84 GTI, 91 GTI, 89 Cabriolet, 2001 Golf, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Rabbit, and now the Passat. The only one that didn't give me ANY issues was the 2008 Rabbit. Never should have gotten rid of it, but, I wanted something nicer and more comfortable on long drives. I used to drive for work and cover Chicago all the way to Madison, WI. Lots of windshield time.
Old 01-22-12, 03:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiryo
Both look exemplary, however I too would veer off from a 190k car. Yes these things can do 300k EASY (with proper care and general maintenance) but I wouldn't look at a car with over 150k.

The changes in 1998 vs 1999 and then to 2000 are fairly "large" jumps as opposed to say a 1997 to a 1998 being the main difference is front end changes and a couple luxury comforts. The 99's come stock with HIDs, woodgrain wheel and shift ****. I like the 00 model as they come with back seat baby anchors and I would have loved that as i'm only 22 and just prepping towards the end of the decade haha.

But anyways check that link I gave you and you'll get to see the changes in years... Actually, here: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

My personal choice for a LS is the 97 Coach Edition and the 99/00 models. Settled in with a 97 Coach myself.

What other VWs did you have? I hear ya on the maintenance up-keep... That's why I went this route myself haha!

you're close but not quite there.

'97-98 was a HUGE jump, and far more than just an external change. the entire front end and rear end end fascias were changed, the engine and transmission were changed, as was the rear end. the car was switched to a fully multiplexed body ecu system, and more. i suggest you read up at http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html. The wood/leather and HID didn't become "standard" in '99 (in the US at least) but were simply far more commonly optioned by dealerships.

OP- Congrats on wanting to make the switch, If you can afford it most here will advise you to aim for the '98-00 as they have the fewest chronic issues and the highest performance and gas mileage. Plus they look better (i think ). Basically, you want the newest one you can get, with the best maint. records. (note, mileage is not mentioned! these things last forever but being heavy lux cars over time they will need bushings all around.)

The other thing not mentioned yet is the timing belt/water pump service (aka the "big" service) which is due every 90k miles on the 1uz engines. On earlier ('89-94) cars this is important but if skipped and the belt breaks, not a game-ender as they are non-interference engines. For later cars ('95-97 and '98-00) however this is VERY VERY IMPORTANT as if the belt breaks (uncommon) or the water pump/idler seize (slightly more common, but uncommon overall) the head will make sweet love to the pistons, and you'll be looking at a crazy invoice for a new engine.

Moral of the story: if a 95-00 LS400 is nearing 90k miles (or a multiple) or hasn't had the TB/WP service done yet, that should be your priority no.1.
Old 01-22-12, 03:53 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bartsitars
Thanks for the info! I will get out ans test drive some of these and go from there. I hear ya on the 190k... It's a little high. As for VWs, I had an 84 GTI, 91 GTI, 89 Cabriolet, 2001 Golf, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Rabbit, and now the Passat. The only one that didn't give me ANY issues was the 2008 Rabbit. Never should have gotten rid of it, but, I wanted something nicer and more comfortable on long drives. I used to drive for work and cover Chicago all the way to Madison, WI. Lots of windshield time.
I hoping there would be a Corrado in that list haha.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you're close but not quite there.

'97-98 was a HUGE jump, and far more than just an external change. the entire front end and rear end end fascias were changed, the engine and transmission were changed, as was the rear end. the car was switched to a fully multiplexed body ecu system, and more. i suggest you read up at http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html. The wood/leather and HID didn't become "standard" in '99 (in the US at least) but were simply far more commonly optioned by dealerships.

OP- Congrats on wanting to make the switch, If you can afford it most here will advise you to aim for the '98-00 as they have the fewest chronic issues and the highest performance and gas mileage. Plus they look better (i think ). Basically, you want the newest one you can get, with the best maint. records. (note, mileage is not mentioned! these things last forever but being heavy lux cars over time they will need bushings all around.)

The other thing not mentioned yet is the timing belt/water pump service (aka the "big" service) which is due every 90k miles on the 1uz engines. On earlier ('89-94) cars this is important but if skipped and the belt breaks, not a game-ender as they are non-interference engines. For later cars ('95-97 and '98-00) however this is VERY VERY IMPORTANT as if the belt breaks (uncommon) or the water pump/idler seize (slightly more common, but uncommon overall) the head will make sweet love to the pistons, and you'll be looking at a crazy invoice for a new engine.

Moral of the story: if a 95-00 LS400 is nearing 90k miles (or a multiple) or hasn't had the TB/WP service done yet, that should be your priority no.1.
Yeah, I forgot about the VVTi and a couple other things. They weren't huge deal breakers for me personally, I have a hard time deciding between the 95-97 front end vs the 98-00 front end... The boxy look of the earlier UCF20 looks more masculine whereas the latter reminds me of Cadillac DeVilles too much (even though the Lexus was first, just that my mother had one so I think of that Caddy everytime). Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to get a 2000 model, especially with that wood steering wheel!

Overall, OP is choosing a late model UCF20 and I congratulate him.

What are you plans for it OP? Seeing as you came from a VW background, i'm sure you have quite clean plans for it, or will it just be a DD/Cruiser?

You don't happen to come from VWVortex did you?
Old 01-22-12, 04:30 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

All great info here guys. Thanks a ton! Price wise, I am looking at 97-99. I don't think that I will be able to swing a 2000. One of the first things that I have been looking for on the service history is the timing belt water pump service. As for plans for it, I want to keep it clean. Maybe wheels and suspension and an aftermarket nav unit if it doesn't have one built in. It will be my daily driver so I don't want to get all crazy. And as a matter of fact, I did come from VWVortex. As a matter of fact, I was at their HQ in may to film the 2012 Passat commercial. I am the guy that says "I'm blown away" and "luxurious". LOL Enjoy

http://youtu.be/l7tzKQUnJCs
Old 01-22-12, 04:55 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Wow, that's pretty awesome haha. As for the navigation, i'd say your best bet would be to install a double din unit. I haven't done much research on which models are best, but when I read the install writeup someone did, they installed a JVC KW-NT3HD which comes with free navigation forever and is powered by Google Maps. I've always used Google Maps for navigation on my phone and rarely have been misdirected. What mainly sold me on that setup is that it's the only double din with a detachable faceplate. Seeing as I live in a sometimes-shady area, the extra peace of mind is always nice.

The only thing is that unit will set you back 600-700 depending on where you can get a deal for it. I want to replace my Kenwood Double Din for that JVC someday.

As for the Platinum Edition UCF21s, those navigation units are way old, use disks and the last update was back in 2007, old routes. Not to mention, in order to install a double din or the stock Nakamichi/Pioneer Premium system, you're looking at having to replace the HVAC controls with those as-well... It's a fairly large hassle. It's whatever route you want to take.
Old 01-22-12, 05:06 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

I currently have a Pioneer AVIC F90BT in the Passat. I got it for the Rabbit and swapped it before trading it in. Over the years, I hacked it to allow vidoe in motion and a completely new UI and maps. Overall I am pleased with the unit and will be pulling it when I sell the car. Whether it ends up in the Lexus is in the air. I have a 4G tablet from work plus a new smartphone every few months (I work for a cell phone company and get to test new phones before they come out of the lab). So if the sound on the factory stereo is good, I really have no need to swap it out since Google Maps is awesome. In fact, I use my phone and tablet more often than the nav in my car.
Old 01-22-12, 05:10 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Oh very nice...

*Gasp* You wouldn't happen to have inside news about the Droid 4 or the HTC Edge would you? Are you a DroidForums.net user too? Hahaha, sorry for the odd questions. I'll stop now, just cell-phones and cars are like my life.
Old 01-22-12, 05:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

nav wasnt standard on "platinum series" LS400s. it was a separate option.
Old 01-22-12, 05:23 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shiryo
Oh very nice...

*Gasp* You wouldn't happen to have inside news about the Droid 4 or the HTC Edge would you? Are you a DroidForums.net user too? Hahaha, sorry for the odd questions. I'll stop now, just cell-phones and cars are like my life.
I do not, but, if I did, the confidentiality agreement I had to sign pretty much gaurantees that I would not admit that I did . Not worth losing my job and a law suit. Sorry
Old 01-22-12, 05:24 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

No problem, I totally understand, it was worth a shot. Finally thought the Droid 4 would be a suitable replacement for my OG Droid... Until I heard about the HTC Edge
Old 01-22-12, 05:52 PM
bartsitars
Rookie

I am a fan of the Galaxy line from Samsung. HTC Sense bogs the phone down IMO and I do not like the UI on Motorola products. Always had really positive experiences with Samsung. Now we are WAY OT. I will keep my eyes open, test drive a few, and see what I end up with. Gonna need to sell the Passat too. 15500 and its all yours

Quick Reply: What to look for?