LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who's your daddy?... 14.57 @ 97.29mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 06:44 PM
GTPED
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help jbrady! I know that the current setup was not optimum due to the higher intake temps, but I haven't had alot of time to fab something up. I may do so if the car doesn't sell soon. I would like to get a newer LS and a few more horses. The cone did make the car sound beeter at WOT, and can only wonder what the real gains are since I won't dyno or go back to stock at the track. I will post what I run if I make some passes in the next few weeks. I have 2 events coming up in the next few weeks. Thanks again!!
Old 10-21-02, 07:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by GTPED
Thanks for the help jbrady! I know that the current setup was not optimum due to the higher intake temps, but I haven't had alot of time to fab something up. I may do so if the car doesn't sell soon. I would like to get a newer LS and a few more horses. The cone did make the car sound beeter at WOT, and can only wonder what the real gains are since I won't dyno or go back to stock at the track. I will post what I run if I make some passes in the next few weeks. I have 2 events coming up in the next few weeks. Thanks again!!
GTPED, glad to help. I would again suggest that you just fabricate a cold air box from corregated cardboard (brown box stuff!) and good packing tape. Make it so it seals around the factory cold air feed from over the radiator and keep as much open area around your filter as possible. It is easy with box, sissors and tape. If you can, make it so you can take it on and off and you can easily test both ways at the track. Don't forget to remove the plastic and foam seal around the headlight assemby at the firewall. This will give more cold air flow to your filter and box. Yes, I realize the cardboard is not sexy but you don't drive with the hood open. I am confident you will try a couple designs and then fabricate one out of something more appropriate.

Also, it is nice to see you kept the above mentioned factory air duct over the radiator. This is part of the engine compartment seal and maximizes radiator efficiency. This is another problem with most cone converstions, people take off this part. Heck, as you noticed it directs cold air right at the filter area... KEEP IT (to anyone thinking otherwise )
Old 10-21-02, 08:05 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Re: DrRick

Originally posted by LXTASY
Austin's here and waiting for another Lexus !! Hurry on down to God's country
Hey, if you take Dr. Rick from us here in Atlanta, don't we have to get someone in return? Kind of like trading baseball players? Oh, and to be truly fair, they should come with stories (and pictures) from Miami like he does
Old 10-21-02, 11:27 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Here is the scan. The articel was a Short take. One page only. Top half is what I scanned in the bottom half of the page was just Pics of the GS.

If for some reason this is not readable just let me know and I'll email it to you.
Attached Thumbnails Who's your daddy?... 14.57 @ 97.29mph-gs4302.jpg  
Old 10-22-02, 01:26 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thanks Jerry, actually the MT website has that same story but without graphics or performance data. The 103.2 would suggest actual test data vs. estimation and when estimating they will generally * the numbers and say it is an estimate.

On these short tests I would be surprised if they actually took the car to the drag strip. More likely used a 3rd wheel or even a vericom or GTech type device. At the dragstrip MPH is the average speed over the last 60 feet or so. This means actual MPH is slightly higher than recorded MPH. Using another means would not do this and show slightly higher numbers. Never-the-less this is good stuff. Let the mods continue and the times fall...
Old 10-22-02, 10:18 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey any time you need an old Article just ask. I love digging them up.

Jerry
Old 10-22-02, 12:27 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ok, if you get the chance, I would love to see a complete test of a 1998-2000 LS400 complete with engine specs, gearing, performance, weight, brakes, available options, the whole enchilada...

I would also like to know if Limited Slip Differentials were ever an option on any SC???

If you locate the LS400 test, please start a new thread for it.

Thanks