LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who's your daddy?... 14.57 @ 97.29mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 10:40 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not jealous (well maybe just a tad) but damn sure impressed. when i finally get to austin, you will have to show me where this track is............

Doc
Old 10-17-02, 11:17 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JBrady

You should be very proud of you Lexus Baby. Awsome Job and keep it up!!!
Old 10-17-02, 12:34 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by GTPED
Very imperessive!! I will be going to a drag racing event with my other car club and I am considering taking my 1995 LS400 and making some runs. My car is stock other than an open cone I put on. I ordered the cone to fit right over where the stock airbox was removed. The air passage in the front is now aimed directly at the open cone. I had to make a small bracket to keep the cone from resting on the steel lines below it, but that was it. Took 15 minutes and the difference was VERY noticeable! What do you think I could run in the 50 degree weather we have here? Any launching or shifting tips you could give would also be appreciated! Again, VERY nice times!!
GTPED, Your cone setup on the round MAF is better than the adapter setup used on the square MAFs. The "difference" you noticed is what is called the "butt-o-meter" and is heavily influenced by the ears... and we know how much better these sound with the intake openned up... don't we?

Yours looks like a good mod but I would strongly suggest fabricating a cold air box that separates the hot under hood air from the filter. My guess is that you have better throttle response but actuall power gain potential of the higher flow is offset by the higher inlet temperatures. Remember the air coming out of the radiator is near 200 degrees :eek: So, fabricate an air box. Start with corregated cardboard and try a few designs. Also, don't forget to remove the seal around the headlight. The seal behind the light assembly that attaches to the inner front metal wall around the light. This will allow much more COLD air to enter your airbox area.

On a 95 LS400 the peak power is at 5600rpm and the tranny shifts around 6000 if left in drive so leave it there, you won't gain anything from manually shifting. Launch by power braking the engine to about 2000rpm against the converter and let off the brake on the last yellow. I only made 3 passes on my 96 LS400 and the best was a 15.4xx at 91.xx mph. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Last edited by JBrady; 10-17-02 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 05:05 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tomtnc

I admire your current ET and your enthusiasm, but a TC alone will not put your 14.57 LS4 in the 13's. I share this with you based on personal experience; I have over 15 years of drag racing experience with daily-driven street cars, the latest were an 11 second FBody and Vette.

1. Your vehicle will not see 1.5x 60' ET gain at the end of the track. You will see 1.1-1.2x gain at the most for a car with your traction capabilities and horsepower. To note, you will likely see a drop in 1/4 mph with improved 60' ET.

2. I estimate you would gain -0.2s ET at the most in 1/4 with only a TC due to your current "one-leg" differential setup (traction). Add an LSD with the TC, and you will land solid low 14's and possibly have a chance at the low 13's given optimal weather and track conditions.

I am certainly impressed with your ET given the weight of your car and minimal mods. I think you are only a TC, LSD, and a 50 degree day at the track with 25mph tail winds away from the 13's! Good luck.

Tom
Tom, thanks, and you may be right on the 60 foot factor. However, I did NOT say a TC alone would get me 13s. An LSD was the first thing I talked about THEN a TC. A TC alone would make it harder to launch with my peg-leg differential and would probably hurt my ETs.
Old 10-17-02, 06:19 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by jbrady
Oh yeah, they finally repaired the scale. My LS400 with me in it, just under a 1/2 tank of gas, no spare/jack/etc. weighs 3991 lbs.

For the fun of it I pulled up a horsepower calculator at

http://www.4racecars.com/calculators...alculator.html

and it gave me what I consider the VERY optimistic result copied below.

"Horsepower Results - 1/4 Mile Method
Your Lexus weighs about 3991 pounds and can complete a 1/4 mile in about 14.57 seconds. That means that you've got about 255.03 HP at the wheels, and about 331.54 HP at the flywheel."

Whoa:eek:
Old 10-17-02, 07:18 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by jbrady

Tom, thanks, and you may be right on the 60 foot factor. However, I did NOT say a TC alone would get me 13s. An LSD was the first thing I talked about THEN a TC. A TC alone would make it harder to launch with my peg-leg differential and would probably hurt my ETs.
My apologies for the misread on your statement.

From everything I've researched on the LS and GS4, (currently searching for a GS4 to purchase and of course modify) I still think .5-.6s ET reduction from LSD and TC is a lofty goal. However, that goal is certainly achievable if you can get that "thrown in" with the deal you made with the devil to nail a 14.57 ET on a LS4 w/ only cold air and mild exhaust modification - LOL.

I truly admire your car and the results you have attained thus far. Once again, best of luck and I look forward to seeing 13's from you in the near future.

Tom
Old 10-18-02, 12:52 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tomtnc

My apologies for the misread on your statement.

From everything I've researched on the LS and GS4, (currently searching for a GS4 to purchase and of course modify) I still think .5-.6s ET reduction from LSD and TC is a lofty goal. However, that goal is certainly achievable if you can get that "thrown in" with the deal you made with the devil to nail a 14.57 ET on a LS4 w/ only cold air and mild exhaust modification - LOL.

I truly admire your car and the results you have attained thus far. Once again, best of luck and I look forward to seeing 13's from you in the near future.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I am happy with the times so far and am in no hurry to turn it into a drag car. I hope to fab an exhaust system that is both quiet and lets this motor breath. Right now all the exhaust must pass through ONE 2" ID center resonator :eek: The GS400 center resonator looks more like 2.5" ID... plus the Y-divider into the pre-mufflers on the LS is not as nice as the GS Y-into dual straight through resonators. For now, I am going to wait on the LSD and TC.
Old 10-18-02, 12:54 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

As promised, here is the 14.577 timeslip backed up with a 14.59:
Attached Thumbnails Who's your daddy?... 14.57 @ 97.29mph-time-slips.jpg  
Old 10-18-02, 01:36 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Talking DrRick

Austin's here and waiting for another Lexus !! Hurry on down to God's country
Old 10-21-02, 01:07 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Jbrady, BTW, a GS430 was tested 13.9 @ 103 by Motor Trend
Old 10-21-02, 01:15 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Wow, that is good news. What issue? It is not shown on the Motor Trend website.
Old 10-21-02, 01:28 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

www.car-stats.com

They have 1/4 mile times for most cars...great site but be sure to have your pop-up killer on
Old 10-21-02, 04:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
This is interesting and I went to your quoted site: car-stats.com

Does anyone have the Motor Trend June 2001 issue?

I would like to get the details of the test? Sometimes magazines test in cold weather, sometimes they give estimates, some tests use 3rd wheel timers and or other items. This is by far the quickest/fastest I have seen reported by a car mag and would like to know the details.
Old 10-21-02, 06:10 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Jbrady

I have a library of ALL car mags from 1988 at home. I will see if I have the one your looking for. From time to time I dont have one issue cause I lent it to someone or my subscription happend to run out.

I'll let you know. If I have it I'll scann it in and email it to you.
Old 10-21-02, 06:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thanks man, I am sceptical of magazine numbers anyway but when a third party lists times from a magazine I like to know the details.

I have no doubt that under the right conditions and in the right hands that a GS430 could post those numbers. Just would like to see how it was done.

Quick Reply: Who's your daddy?... 14.57 @ 97.29mph