LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust leak when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 08:35 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered factory strut rods, ball joints, and front and rear sway bar bushings from www.discounttoyotaparts.com It was $406 including shipping. As I recall, I looked at Sewell first and including shipping and everything this was the cheapest deal I could find at the time. I also on the same day ordered a tranny mount and something else (brake pads I think) and spent $100 or so on that.

I have been a scrounger my whole life and I have by necessity had to learn how to work the internet to find parts. At any given time I have several projects going at once that I am constantly needing parts for. I am currently rebuilding a 72 Honda CB500 and freshening up a 94 Mercedes E320 wagon. I am always searching for parts for project guitars, vintage tube audio equipment, antique model aircraft engines, and the list goes on. Unless there is some alternative universe that sells cheap replacement parts for Lexus automobiles, I really think that I have found most of the common sources available.

Anyway, my problem is not that I might have spent a few dollars extra on a couple of parts, my problem is that I have a feeling I need to buy a lot more parts to get this thing driving right. I think that mostly, I'm just surprised at what kind of work this car needs at this mileage. I'm going to start a thread about my suspension questions and maybe I will learn some tricks to getting this thing driving better.
Old 02-04-12, 11:44 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I just ordered the EGR pipe, EGR gaskets, and the cat gaskets from Park Place for $133.21. Not a bad deal. Now I guess I am committed to installing it. I hope the beer costs don't exceed the cost of outsourcing this repair.
Old 02-04-12, 09:12 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Please do a write up on how to do this, the only way that I know how to approach this right now is taking everything from the top off, like the starter job. If there is an easier way of getting it done from the bottom i'd down for it this coming spring break from school. Good luck on it.
Old 02-05-12, 07:48 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I really don't know how the EGR pipe install is going to go. I am planning to document it and take a few pics if I manage to get it done without having to lower or remove the transmission as I have seen suggested. I have researched this quite a bit and the best course of action I have found so far is to remove the cat and have a second set of hands available to help guide the socket onto the bolts. From what I can tell I am hoping to rig up a combination of extensions and u-joints and feed it down to my assistant to remove the bottom bolts and feed it up to him for the top bolts. I will definitely report back with an honest assessment of how difficult this job is. I find it hard to believe that Toyota would have designed this system so that such a weak part requires transmission removal to replace it but I'll soon find out. I'm hoping that they have recognised the problem and the new part has been upgraded and shouldn't be prone to failing again.

If I am successful, I will at least take a picture of the combinations of extensions and u-joints that I used and a description of the process. I will not let this thread just die without resolution as so many people seem to do.

Last edited by Goofaroo; 02-05-12 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 05:03 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

By any chance you replaced the EGR pipe yet?
Old 02-21-12, 07:56 PM
atl4love
Pit Crew

Yup my friend ! You have to remove the cat to give you some room to reach your flex joint socket for upper bolts .. It is very difficult to put the bolt into the socket but once you do them right it will easy comin out .. I used a paper tape to tape the flex joint socket to the right angle of the bolt .. Little trick but it work for me ... Good luck .. Btw I didn't purchased new egr pipe I fix the crack , I weld it
Old 02-22-12, 09:52 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I did manage to get my valve cover gaskets changed out last weekend but then I got sidetracked by other obligations. It looks like I may not get to it this weekend either but I will report back when I get it finished. I did put the car up on ramps and crawl under there to take a look and I figured out that it will be a lot easier if I put it on a lift. Luckily my father-in-law is a car guy and has a lift in his garage so I'll definitely take advantage of that.
Old 02-22-12, 10:55 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

we also removed the right cat to do ours... not hard, but it is work.. broke 3 studs off, that was hard.
Old 02-24-12, 06:29 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for information of the part number. Are you sure the number 90917-06072 is the correct one?

Originally Posted by Goofaroo
Today I poked around online a bit to find the parts I need to replace the EGR pipe. Finding part numbers for these cars is not as easy as I would have thought so I am going to post them here:

Lower EGR pipe 25601-50060
EGR pipe gaskets 25628-50010 and 25634-50010
Cat gaskets (if removed) 90917-06043 and 90917-06072

I loaded up an online shopping cart and had a price of $156 shipped for all items listed above. The MSRP of the EGR pipe was listed on numerous parts sites as $143.99 but generally available online for around $115. I decided to go to the only Lexus dealership in Oklahoma City (about 1/2 mile from my office) and just bend over and buy the part from them for MSRP if they had it in stock. They had all the parts that I needed but they wanted $172.99 just for the pipe (in a Toyota labelled bag). It was hard to leave when I had the parts sitting right in front of me and I could have installed them this weekend but I made him an offer, he refused, and I thanked him and walked out the door.
I went back to the office and decided that before I ordered them online I would try the Toyota dealer. I called them and gave them the part number and he couldn't find any reference to it. He could find all of the gasket part numbers but not the pipe. A call to another Toyota dealer yielded the same results.

I will order the parts online this weekend but it is very aggravating that we have one Lexus dealer in this entire city and they are marking up parts well over Lexus MSRP. I would have gladly paid them MSRP for the parts I needed but I wasn't about to be held hostage by the only game in town and just bend over for them.

Has anyone else had this experience at their local dealer? I wonder if Lexus corporate knows what is happening to their customers when they visit a dealer's parts department?

Another question to ponder. Why can I buy Mercedes and BMW parts for much less than Lexus parts. I just did some suspension work on my wife's E320 wagon and parts were very reasonable. This LS400 has only travelled 137K miles and the suspension is sloppy as hell. I have already spent about $500 replacing the lower ball joints and strut rods and as far as I can tell, it feels like it basically needs everything else replaced. I will be posting another thread about that and I am hoping that I am wrong but I really think the suspension on this car needs a complete rebuild to make it right. From what I have seen, there are very few aftermarket parts available for these cars and the price of factory parts are astronomical. There, I'm done venting. Off to the beer.
Old 02-24-12, 07:50 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

these are the correct numbers: Cat gaskets 90917-06043 and 90917-06072

for the job: You will need new gaskets for the cat (90917-06043,90917-06072), new gaskets for the EGR pipe (25628-50010,25634-50010) and of course a new EGR pipe (25601-50060).

Last edited by billydpowe; 02-24-12 at 07:55 AM.