LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Jbrady more food for thought...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 07:47 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jbrady more food for thought...

Another use for the cool tape would be:

1.) Wrap the plastic manifold/engine cover to help shield the intake runners

2. Obtain a 4.3L manifold/engine cover from a newer 4.3L Lexus engine. Drill two holes in it so that it can fit the mounting holes on the 98-00 4.0L . Then wrap it with cool tape. With the newer cover from the 4.3L the intake runners would be fully shielded. I have no idea weather it would fit, but looking at pictures the mounting holes would be the minimum needed to make it work.

Secondly is it just me or does the plastic elbow on the 2001+ LS430 that flows directly to the throttle body have a smoother bend than the same piece on an 98-00LS? I am having trouble telling from the limited pictures I have been able to find. Gonna mod intake tonight.
Old 10-17-02, 01:20 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

When you use insulation you are preventing heat from transfering in either direction. On an intake tube, one side is seeing ambient temperature (cold ideally) air while the other is exposed to radiant heat. This heats the intake tube which can then conduct this heat to the intake air. This is an effective use. On an engine cover the engine itself is hotter than the underhood heat. Insulating the cover will only serve to keep more heat IN the intake manifold. I have removed my cover completely. The purpose of the cover is to reduce noise and improve aesthetics.

I cannot answer to the LS430 intake to throttle tube configuration. I can say that the throttle body is a larger diameter than the majority of the feed tube... apx 3.5" vs 3.0". I am intend to try a larger pipe size for 2 reasons. Improved flow and leaner A/F ratio by installing the MAF sensor in a larger diameter tube hence creating a lower reading and leaner mixture.

So... you have decided to do the intake mod? Good for you. Did you locate another cover or are you just using the one on the car? Keep us posted. I think you will LIKE the sound and FEEL an improvement in response and power.
Old 10-17-02, 02:05 AM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default Thanks

In that case I will just remove the stock engine cover.

As far as the intake goes I am just gonna hack up my stock one....if I have bad results I can always just locate another one.
I think I might just remover the mufflers tmrw after work. While I decide weather or not I like the removal of the rear mufflers, I will work on fabricating a heat shield for the intake. Shouldn't take me more than a day or so to accomplish that.
Old 10-17-02, 02:22 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Well, remember that they are only available as an assembly from the dealer with the front cover, rear cover, V band clamp, and air filter. Around $350... ouch! But, your choice. I love mine and the only reason I would go back is for warranty reasons.

As far as a heat sheild... I just cut some corrugated cardboard to seal the back edges of the airbox from underhood heat. I need to locate some flexible material and make a better part but as far as function the cardboard is just fine.

Try one or the other, air box of muffler removal first. Drive it, then add the other. You will be surprised that the air box is louder than the muffler removal!!! If you do them both at the same time you will probably think it is all muffler sound...

BTW, the airbox sound is only there under full throttle and higher rpm. At full throttle low rpm you can hear a difference but it isn't loud. At cruise and part throttle it sounds stock.
Old 10-17-02, 11:40 AM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default Airbox

I am planning to do the mufflers first....probably later today....will do the intake later on this week. A good friend owns a Lexus dealership here in town and if worse comes to worse he can put a call in to his body shop manager for me....no big deal. BTW what did you use to cut the stock airbox?
Old 10-17-02, 12:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I used a handsaw that I bought at Walmart. It is a saw-z-all blade with a handle. Like a big tooth hacksaw blade out of heavier steel, about 6" long. A dremel cuttoff should work well also.

BTW, I have driven mine in HEAVY torrential rain with no problem whatsoever.

I think you will be surprised at how easy the mufflers come off and how quiet it is without them. Sportier yes but still quiet.
Old 10-17-02, 12:34 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default My Only Concern

I am not too worried about water migration into the filter area....I hand wash my car so water coming in from a pressure sprayer in not an issue. My only concern with the muffler delete is that the exhuast gasses are going to not quite be exiting out the back of the vehicle. If I like it I will just use some stainless in place of where the mufflers where.
Old 10-17-02, 12:56 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default BTW...

I was at Walmart..the other night and almost bought the exact tool you were describing...but decided I could make do with the myriad of other tools I had. Kind of wierd
Old 10-17-02, 05:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Default Re: My Only Concern

Originally posted by Japanimal
I am not too worried about water migration into the filter area....I hand wash my car so water coming in from a pressure sprayer in not an issue. My only concern with the muffler delete is that the exhuast gasses are going to not quite be exiting out the back of the vehicle. If I like it I will just use some stainless in place of where the mufflers where.
I doubt you could kill yourself with these new clean burn engines in a garage with the doors closed. I never smell anything and am not in the least bit worried about it. If you are, you can add some pipe but just try it without it and see, hear, smell what you think.