LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 07:38 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear struts

I need advice,as to who I should buy rear struts from for my 92 ls400.Regular suspension.Non Air.Thinking KYB brand.Thanks Michael
Old 10-15-02, 10:18 PM
Lvangundy

Go tokico - all the way.

Retrodrive has a good comparison on his site.

http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance/suspension.htm

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-15-02 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-16-02, 11:04 PM
rajah996
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I would seriously advise against purchasing Tokiko struts.
I recently purchased new tokiko blue struts all the way
around for my 92 LS. Had a local performance shop that
sold them install it on my vehicle. Within a week I could
feel my car "Bottoming out." Took it back to the shop, and
found out that three of the four had blown, and were leaking.
They called up Tokiko, and Tokiko informed them that it would
not be covered under warantee. Their solution was for me
to buy another set. Instead i went with and replaced them
with McPherson struts. Much better ride, and no hastles. By
the way, my usual drive in that car is on well paved highways
in the orlando area. I see no reason for those struts to blow
so easily and quickly. All in all, i would never ever recomend
tokiko struts to anyone.
Old 10-21-02, 07:01 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished installing Tokico struts on the front end. I changed out the struts, the lower ball joints, resurfaced the rotors, and installed OEM brake pads.
The struts are Tokico Premium HU3704 front, and HU3705 rear.
I bought them for 84.00 each with free shipping from www.coximports.com
I used a strut compression tool borrowed from Auto Zone. Auto Zone has all kinds of tools they will lend out. You have to pay for them, and then get the money back when you return the tools. The front struts are easy to remove, and the compression tool was simple to operated and use. It only takes about 5 minutes to change the strut inside the spring once it is off the car. I got the lower ball joints from Bell Lexus in Phoenix which has discount Internet sales. phone 602-866-3300, and ask for Internet parts sales. If you don't say Internet sales, you may be changed more. The lower ball joints were 82.00 each. I have bought all kinds of parts from Bell Lexus and they have great prices and fast shipping. The hardest part of the whole job was getting the tie rod shaft off of the lower ball joint arm. I had to use a two arm puller to pry apart the joint after removing the nut. You cannot hammer on the tie rod nor the top of the bolt without causing damage. All the other bolts etc, were easy to remove. Everything is very accessible and easy to get at.
It only took me about 90 minutes per side to do all this work, with no special tools except the puller, and the spring compression tool. I did all of it on my driveway.
I will do the rear struts and the axle boots next week. I will post a report on this as well.

Pilot

2 days later:

I just finished installing the Tokico struts on the rear. It was very straight forward with no surprises. The rear seat has to come out, which only took about 5 minutes. This is to get at the top of the strut bolts. I had to disconnect the rear stabilizer link which is next to the lower strut attachment bolt. With this, the strut drops down forward of the rear axle and comes out. I used the same Auto Zone spring compressor and changed out the strut. Each rear side takes about 1 1/2 hours. This is with no prior experience with struts on my part.
The car handles like a dream now, with new brakes, lower ball joints, Tokico struts and new Bridgestone Turanza LSH tires.

I still have the Axle boots to change out and re-grease. I will wait for a nice day to tackle this job as well.

Pilot