LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-02, 03:33 PM
chas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lower?

I would like to get my 90 LS400 to set just a little lower, maybe an inch in the front and a couple of inches in the rear. Is there an easy way to do it or will I have to change out some stuff?? It looks much better when it squats a little with a carload of people but I would like to be stylin' solo as well.
Old 10-14-02, 07:15 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have air bags or shocks and struts?
If you have the air bags suspension then someone here has a mod that you adjust the height sensor to get the car lower.

If you have shocks and struts then I recommend getting some Eibach shocks and Tokico struts. The Eibachs are an 1" drop but once settled it will actually sit at 1.25" to 1.5".
I have it on my 93 and love it.
The ride is really not that much different.
I don't recommend cutting the stock springs because that will kill your stock struts faster.
Old 10-15-02, 02:40 PM
chas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks loule,
Old 10-15-02, 02:56 PM
chas
Driver School Candidate

Try this again,

Thanks loule,
My car has shocks and struts. It has 125k on it so I guess I might
be due for new parts anyway, at least that is what I will tell my wife. Glad to know the ride will be the same. My boss has a 92 SC400 which I drive occasionally and it seems to ride rough, has a definite bounce like it had been cheaply lowered but the car is 100% stock. I may buy it from him since he will be getting a new one but I really don't like the looks the SC. They seem to be bulky and are starting to look a little dated but that is only my opinion. I guess I am really a sedan man. I could probably get it for under 10k. Pearl white with 80k, not immaculate, it was his wife's car and has seen a lot of parking lots. It does run better than my LS and had been getting crazy ideas about swapping the engine and/or tranny from it into my LS before he trades it in. A major pain or impossible??? Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-02, 10:23 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be impossible because they are the same engine but you got to understand the reason the SC feels faster because it is a smaller lighter car.
Your basicly swapping the same engine and tranny!
Old 10-17-02, 05:49 PM
chas
Driver School Candidate

loule,

Thanks for the info. I think another thing that makes me think the SC is hotter is the exhaust tone, which gets me to ask another question. What can be done to my LS exhaust to get a little more tone and possibly some power? I have been under it and seen that it is not too shabby, has alot of muffler and resonators though. I definitely don't want to put flowmasters or similar on it, I heard a SHO Taurus the other day with the flowmaster sticker on the window and it was obnoxious.
On another note I am researching the Eibach/Tokico components and hope to have them on it in a month or so.
Old 10-21-02, 05:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

chas, try my muffler removal mod! You will like it.
Old 10-23-02, 03:08 PM
chas
Driver School Candidate

jbrady,

Are you serious? Too noisy? The mufflers or resonators? Even though I do have a mig and access to a lift I must do the homework!! I know the last vehicle I tried to do something like this on my wife put me in the doghouse for weeks and still mentions it to me occasionally. You ruined our suburban !!, etc, etc. My old man used to run his 472 and 500 c.i. Caddies with a straight pipe and they were pretty tame, guess the 25 some odd feet of pipe were mufflers in themselves. I know I shoudn't touch the cats but from there back what can be done?

I need to start a new thread on this...
Old 10-25-02, 11:35 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Chas, do a search on all my posts. Click on my profile then select all users posts. You will find a great deal of info on the exhaust and intake mod I have done on my LS400.

Removing the rear mufflers is VERY easy and you will be VERY surprised at how quiet it is without them

The car still has 2 cats, 1 resonator and 2 pre-mufflers with very small diameter piping. I expected my car to be louder but it is very acceptable AND it picked up power. On a 90 it should be good for 5-7hp. If you do the air box mod you will pick up another 5 or so and have a cool sound to the motor.

Give it a shot and heck, if you don't like it just put them back on. Less than 15 minutes to find out... go for it.

Last edited by JBrady; 10-25-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 12:03 PM
Lvangundy

If you want a little more growl, do as Jbrady mentioned. Mine is a 1990.

I did the same, but a little differently. I removed the 3 resonators inbetween the cats and the rear mufflers. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Lower?-piping.jpg  
Old 10-25-02, 12:04 PM
Lvangundy

Jbrady- do you have a pic of under your car witout the rear muffler?
Old 11-19-02, 08:25 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Well,

I did the extreme! I have 2 3" straight pipe from my turbos to two Magnaflow mufflers. When i got my car. Its loud, matter of fact its too loud. I took my car back to the muffler shop and ask them to put in two 3" straight resonator. The noise calm down slight, but its still loud. I do not like it. I think i might have to joint the two turbos together and run one 3" pipe than split into two 3"

I think the most restrictive of the whole system is where the Y pipe jointing. Its located after the cat and before the resonator. I think the OEM Y-pipe only 2.25". That is restrective. I have some pictures, but i have problem posting it.

Last edited by healerhand; 11-19-02 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 11:20 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are mine...I need to take a closeup pic though: