LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"93 nak replacement 4" speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 10:49 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "93 nak replacement 4" speakers

just spent a half hour going through the audio setup thread and did not find an answer to my specific question. its time to get new hu, amp, sub and speakers. i do NOT want to know about cutting out the boxes to get bigger speakers. i do NOT want to spend more on the sound system than the car is worth. i do NOT want some one to hear me coming a mile away. i want to know what aftermarket speakers will drop right in, plug and play, with no extra work at all.

as you are no doubt aware, the sites like cartoys and best buy can't even get the speaker size correct on their "fit" guides. it appears the polk db401 will fit. maybe the polk db501. anything else? i'm hoping for a decent speaker like polk, boston accoustic, jbl.

i actually have an idq 10" dvc sub in a box that i intent to just strap tightly under the sub hole in the rear deck, and get a 100 watt zap amp to replace the stock. the hu will be something like an alpine with 25-30 watts rms per speaker. i'm going to just use NON-component 4" speakers. probably can get something with less bass and more highs. isn't that one of the reasons to have a sub? maybe my hearing is shot, but i can't ever actually hear anything out of those dome tweeters anyway.

also, does anyone know the actual available mounting depth in the stock boxes?

i thought a spearate thread for this discreet question would be simpler for people to search than going through mountains of other data in the big audio thread.
Old 12-19-11, 09:49 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Denverdog,
Many 4 inch speakers have the same (or very close) "hole pattern" on the frame of the speakers. However, no speaker is going to be a direct drop in to the box in regards to tuning. The enclosures in your doors were made specifically for the nakamichi/pioneer speakers. Thus, although other speakers may fit, the sound produced will not be ideal. This is not to say that is will sound terrible as it may sound better to you. Anyway, if your speakers aren't dead then you can simply replace the foam surrounds and continue to use them. The repair is very, very easy.

If you are planning to use new speaker, amp and headunit then you are better off dumping the enclosures all together and starting fresh.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-11, 05:07 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

i'll narrow my question down a bit. does anyone know the actual available mounting depth for front and rear speakers?
Old 12-21-11, 09:19 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Anything designated as a "direct fit" will answer your question. A direct fit will require next to no modification at all. And depth will have no varible in the equation. Though certain speakers have differrent depths, it all takes up air space, which will directly affect the sound. Without getting too terribly technical.......get a designated direct fit that matches the stock units.

This includes size, depth, ohms, impedence.

If your really bent on the sound quality of the nak, get the nak speakers and a headunit. Sony has a tendency to be great for mids, pioneer has a tendency to be on either the high side or low side. There isnt that much of a variation between the 2. Even with all the eq settings and stage settings, just a plug and play will take a weeks worth of adjustment just to get it perfect to your specific liking.

Realistically, unless you go full custom, and reSEARCH the audio thread, you will never have an answer to your question.

And full custom does not mean 20 giga-watts of power.
Old 12-24-11, 10:06 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

You can get decent sound out of a 4" non-component, but it really depends on what you listen to. I'm running some 4" ones I got from Emarknot, and they sound pretty decent for what I listen to. Not too high on the bass, but most of my music doesn't call for lots of bass, so I'm pretty damn happy with what I've got. If I needed more bass, I'd probably just throw a working subwoofer in the back(mine doesn't work).
Old 03-25-12, 07:08 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

i have now relaced all 4 door speakers with jbl gto428 4" coaxials. they sound good. the wires to the front component midrange speakers comes off right from the same ponts where the two lines going into the crossover come in, so using those two lines should give a full signal to the front coaxials. i can't hear anything out of the factory tweeters anyway. the fronts needed a gasket/spacer made from the packaging cardboard. the rears didn't need anything.