LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

To you guys that installed sub using stock HU.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 01:37 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To you guys that installed sub using stock HU.

So I know my way around stereos pretty well, but I am not afraid to ask for some help when needed. I have a '93 with the Nakamichi system. I installed all new MB Quart speakers last weekend using the stock HU and amps. Obviously it was easy, just plug and play. I LOVE the way it sounds so I don't want to change anything, I just want to add a little bass. Here is where I need your help.

I have never installed a sub off the stock HU, so I picked up a line converter. I have a Pioneer Premier SPL 12 that I will be installing using my Memphis mono amp. I know I need to pick up a speaker signal for the converter to do its job. I have done some searching, but havent found exactly what I need to know. I also checked out the audio thread, but didn't find it there either. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. Can I tap the converter right off of the stock deck subwoofer speaker inputs, or will I need to pick it up off one of the door speakers? If you guys have done this before, where did you pick up the signal for your converters? Thanks a ton in advance for the help.
Old 12-03-11, 01:56 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

You can tap right at the speaker if you want to. That would allow you to run the OEM sub and another. The bad thing about that is there isn't alot of area for the sound to get out of the trunk. The OEM hole is about the best spot to leave open. I think most people remove the OEM sub and just run speakers in the trunk. Either way you can tap right at the speaker.
Old 12-03-11, 02:08 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I like having that 8" there to add a little midbass. Now when you say speaker, do you mean the subwoofer? Or do you mean I will have to tap off one of the door speakers? At some point I may experiment with taking out the 8" deck woofer to try porting the bass into the cabin, but I figure just throwing the 12 in the trunk should do the job that I need.
Old 12-03-11, 04:04 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RadRob
Yeah, I like having that 8" there to add a little midbass. Now when you say speaker, do you mean the subwoofer? Or do you mean I will have to tap off one of the door speakers? At some point I may experiment with taking out the 8" deck woofer to try porting the bass into the cabin, but I figure just throwing the 12 in the trunk should do the job that I need.
you would be tapping the line in put converter into your stock subwoofer
Old 12-03-11, 11:11 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
you would be tapping the line in put converter into your stock subwoofer
Thank you very much kind sir.
Old 12-04-11, 01:05 PM
vicious
Rookie

i did the same in my old acura legend, tapped the converter wires into one of the back speakers and used the tapped into the remote turn on from the HU

trying it on my lexus, i tried tapping into the sub wires, and tried tapping into the stock amps turn on and got nothing... then again im no expert so i probably did something wrong lol
Old 12-05-11, 07:30 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

So I ran my power wire tonight into the trunk. Was sort of a pain in the ***, but I got it. Im going to finish it up tomorrow.

As for the remote wire, where did you guys tap into to pick up your switched 12v? I put the seats back in tonight, so hopefully I can find a switched 12v source somewhere in the trunk. haha. Any ideas?
Old 12-05-11, 08:17 PM
McPierson
Instructor

I tapped into the OEM amp for that. It's under the passenger seat.
Old 12-05-11, 10:39 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McPierson
I tapped into the OEM amp for that. It's under the passenger seat.
Thats what I have been reading that everyone else has done too. I may just have to pull the seat back out again. You know if by chance there is a switched 12v going into the cd changer that I can tap into?
Old 12-06-11, 01:27 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Thats what I have been reading that everyone else has done too. I may just have to pull the seat back out again. You know if by chance there is a switched 12v going into the cd changer that I can tap into?
what year is your ls400 may i ask?? you can probably tap rem where the telephone module is in the 95 - 97 ls400
Old 12-06-11, 06:19 AM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a '93. I may just have to tap off of the stock amp, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. haha
Old 12-06-11, 12:23 PM
McPierson
Instructor

I didn't need to remove the seat on my 99. It may be different on the 1st gen.
Old 12-06-11, 10:14 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is a '93. I may just have to tap off of the stock amp, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. haha
does your ls400 have a telephone in the center console?? if it does the telephone module should be in the trunk!! all you need is a voltmeter to test the wires
Old 12-07-11, 11:57 AM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Mine doesnt have a phone. But I found a switched 12v on the harness going to the antenna so I just tapped into that.
Old 12-08-11, 05:50 PM
dtLS400
Driver

Hey Radrob,
I'm in the process of upgrading my door speakers as well. I just wanted I know, is it 5.25" in front and 6.5" in rear door?
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: To you guys that installed sub using stock HU.