LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear fog light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 10:08 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear fog light?

did any ls ever come with a rear fog light? I searched but couldn't really find much
Old 11-30-11, 04:10 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes, all years of the LS400 sold in Europe and other parts of the world had rear fog lights as standard. The light switch on the turn signal stalk for those cars has an extra position for rear foglights - one click turns on the front foglights (like North American cars) and the second click turns on the rear foglights. On cars with rear foglights, the light units on the trunk lid on either side of the number plate contain them.

I don't know about later years of the LS400, but in the earlier years, only two bulbs were used for tail lights on LS400's in Europe - not six like in the U.S. The requirements for Germany were different than for the rest of Europe since Germany did not allow a bulb to serve multiple functions ... e.g. a dual filament bulb could not be used for both tail light and stop light.
Old 11-30-11, 08:00 AM
filthyLS4
Driver

thanks ive been thinking about putting a rear fog light setup in my car because its been getting pretty foggy over here, and I really dont want to get rear ended
Old 11-30-11, 09:07 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by filthyLS4
thanks ive been thinking about putting a rear fog light setup in my car because its been getting pretty foggy over here, and I really dont want to get rear ended
It was common to convert the trunk mounted light modules on Japanese market Celsiors to foglights when they were imported into the U.K. where rear foglights are required. (Japanese market Celsiors did not have rear foglights.) I don't know if that can be done on a U.S. spec LS400 - and you would have to run a wire forward to a separate switch.

I was a little paranoid when I bought my first LS400 in 1990 since the Mercedes sedan I drove for 10 years before that had rear foglights and I frequently drove in areas where fog and blizzards were common. I installed a Hella rear foglight on the tiny 85 Honda CRX Si I used as my "ski car" after I was nearly rear ended in a blizzard on the way to a ski area.

However ... the six rear tail lights on the North American LS400 put out such a massive amount of light that I've never thought rear foglights on it were very necessary. And, I did not see a good place to mount separate rear foglights on the 90 LS I had although I suppose there is room to the left of the license plate for one on my 00 LS.

Americans seem to misuse rear foglights. Only yesterday I saw someone driving with his on and the weather was perfectly clear. And people that have cars with rear foglights often don't know it. Last year I showed my next door neighbor that the 96 Boxter he's owned since new has rear foglights ... guess he never read the owners manual.
Old 11-30-11, 03:34 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
It was common to convert the trunk mounted light modules on Japanese market Celsiors to foglights when they were imported into the U.K. where rear foglights are required. (Japanese market Celsiors did not have rear foglights.) I don't know if that can be done on a U.S. spec LS400 - and you would have to run a wire forward to a separate switch.

I was a little paranoid when I bought my first LS400 in 1990 since the Mercedes sedan I drove for 10 years before that had rear foglights and I frequently drove in areas where fog and blizzards were common. I installed a Hella rear foglight on the tiny 85 Honda CRX Si I used as my "ski car" after I was nearly rear ended in a blizzard on the way to a ski area.

However ... the six rear tail lights on the North American LS400 put out such a massive amount of light that I've never thought rear foglights on it were very necessary. And, I did not see a good place to mount separate rear foglights on the 90 LS I had although I suppose there is room to the left of the license plate for one on my 00 LS.

Americans seem to misuse rear foglights. Only yesterday I saw someone driving with his on and the weather was perfectly clear. And people that have cars with rear foglights often don't know it. Last year I showed my next door neighbor that the 96 Boxter he's owned since new has rear foglights ... guess he never read the owners manual.

lol yea alot of people put a rear foglights on for looks but i want function lol I was thinkin about putting one of those square ones on but i dunno how it would look or if it would even help, i think LED tails might actually be better, ive never really paid attention to other Ls400's rear end at night, theres really 6 bulbs just as runnning lights?