LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Yes, changed the bulb in my headlight and wanted to provide

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 01:52 PM
kjbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, changed the bulb in my headlight and wanted to provide

I had posted a question to the group regarding how to change a headlight bulb (drivers side), with limited response. Rather than wait for instruction, I started to investigate myself. I was able to change the bulb, and felt others might benefit from this experience. The car in question is a 95 LS400 and "no", the manual does not give any instruction. This job is very easy with one item or two that would have been helpful to understand before I started. Yes, I would recommend that the battery needs to be removed. The "headlight housing" from within the engine compartment has a plastic ring with a tab that says, "Lift". This housing holds a rubber gasket that surrounds the "prongs" of the bulb. Please note, the high/low bulb is what is being changed. The connection to the bulb pulls back with not much difficulty. I first removed the battery, then pulled the connection to the bulb (prongs). Then I pressed tab and moved the plastic housing from the rubber ring. I just moved this housing to the side. Then I slid the "rubber boot" housing off the prong of the old bulb and pushed back the rubber surround to expose the bulb. You will notice that the bulb sits in a position with three tabs and a metal wire held with a screw. This metal wire support creates tension against the bulb to hold in place. I don't think you need to un-screw this at all. I did, and the wire jumped out leaving me in question as to how to re-install. On the other side of the screw is a tab that the wire spring loads into. I pushed this down and moved the wire from under support and the wire released the tension on the bulb. The bulb is loose and can be lifted out. I placed a new bulb in the proper tab slots....pushed the metal wire support back and under to create tension. Then I moved the rubber housing over the prong portion of bulb and positioned properly on housing. I returned the plastic "O" type ring with tab that says lift. Connected electrical connection to bulb. Placed battery back and connected. I was done and the light works great. Quick disclosure...I'm not a mechanic and have only owned this car for less than a year. This was a small job but was satisfied once done. Hope this helps anyone else needing to change a headlight bulb. Best of Luck
Old 10-09-02, 04:23 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time you don't have to remove the battery. All you have to do is remove the black plastic cover that's directly in front the battery. When you do that you will be able to see harness that is connected to the headlight, the sameone you changed. Disconnect the harness, the o-ring, rubber, and then the metal clip that holds the bulb,,simple! No battery removal!

Last edited by Lexozz; 10-09-02 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-09-02, 06:03 PM
kjbro
Rookie

Lexozz, Started that way and felt the removal of battery was easy enough and more convenient. Cheers.
Old 10-09-02, 06:59 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup removing the battery makes life a whole lot easier.
Old 10-10-02, 02:18 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Hey! I guess it's easier for you guys, it only take me about 2 minutes without battery removal (no tools needed)!
Old 10-10-02, 02:25 PM
kjbro
Rookie

Lexozz, Are you able to change the high/low bulb on the passenger side that easy? Access looks more difficult. I don't have a need to change but would appreciate your suggestions. I guess like everything else, after you've done something once....the next time is easier. Thanks.
Old 10-10-02, 04:10 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed yall are 95 LS.
The 1st gen you actually do have to remove the battery to change the bulbs.
Old 10-10-02, 05:06 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kjbro
Lexozz, Are you able to change the high/low bulb on the passenger side that easy? Access looks more difficult. I don't have a need to change but would appreciate your suggestions. I guess like everything else, after you've done something once....the next time is easier. Thanks.
Hey KJbro!

The space is a little bit tighter on the psngr side. You have to take off the air duct, the long black cover that stretches across the front. It's held down by a 10mm bolt. The bolt is hidden under the small black cover that's in front of the battery. Once you get all that off, it's the same procedure as stated in my earlier post to chg the hi/low bulb.
Old 10-10-02, 05:09 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by loule
I just noticed yall are 95 LS.
The 1st gen you actually do have to remove the battery to change the bulbs.
I believe there is a bit more space between the bulb and battery in the 95's+.
Old 10-10-02, 05:16 PM
kjbro
Rookie

Lexozz, Thanks for your comments. I'm still very cautious with this new toy. Glad that the minimal work I've done so far has been successful. I hope to change the oil and replace brake pads from time to time. Will I find that work to be pretty easy as well? Again, many thanks.
Old 10-10-02, 05:23 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Your welcome KJbro!

Good luck with you new toy, you will definitely enjoy....AHHHHH The Relentless Joy of a Lexus!!!