LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91' LS 400 Recovering front seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 12:26 PM
Woozy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91' LS 400 Recovering front seats

I cant believe when i do a search I cant find ANYTHING on how to get the front seats out, and how to take them apart to recover them. I got some really nice all leather seat covers from Leather-Seats on Ebay, only cost 250.00 shipped, and they look great! Now I want to install them but im a bit apprehensive about taking the seat apart, so I was hoping that there would be a DYI with pictures on here. I have searched for over an hour and the best I come up with was a post that said take the 4 bolts off and roll the seat back to disconnect the wire harness. When I put the seat all the way forward and backward all I can see are what look like large rivits that go into the floor. I must be stupid, but is there a thread anywhere that can take me through removal of the seats, then dissasembly of the seat so I can recover them? I have done many classic car interiors, So once i get them out and apart im sure that i can recover them.. just need help getting them out and apart. And yes i really did search for over an hour trying to find a thread...Thanks for any help u can give.
Old 11-14-11, 01:37 PM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

Was this the item you bought?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1994-LE...item5ae38f1db7

I asked them about the cut pattern as it's different to UCF1x seats, (Seat bottoms have 3 columns instead of 2), but they never responded.
Were yours the correct match?
Old 11-14-11, 01:43 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

There's no tutorial on it but this is from my 93 manual, should be the same for your 91.
If you have power head rest you need to raise that before seat removal so you can get that off.
You need to take off the plastic covers and remove the 3 bolts and 1 nut and disconnect the wire harness then remove the seat.

Seat trim;
Remove from side the 2 switch ***** and 2 screws. From bottom is 5 screws, clips between trim and cushion, wire connector.

Seat back board;
2 screws from bottom, push board side to side and push up to remove.

Seat back assembly;
disconnect hook, clips, wire harness clamps, connectors, side hooks, and 4 bolts.

Seat cushion;
remove 4 bolts,disconnect wire clamps and connectors, remove seat cushion.

Remove front seat inner belt;
1 bolt??

Remove seat back cover;
remove the hog rings and diconnect the hooks from the seat back, remove front seat back spring, using screwdriver remove the clips, the hog rings and the front seat back cover.

At this point it says to remove all the motors, I'm not sure if you actually need to or if they can stay in. (Reclining, Lumbar support, and Head rest motors)

Remove seat cushion cover;
peel the seat cushion cover away from around the edge of the seat cushion, remove hog rings and seat cushion cover.

Hope this helps you and anyone else that searches in the future.
Old 11-14-11, 05:36 PM
Woozy
Rookie

WOW, thanks for the info, its a great help... and as far as the pattern. they are perfect, exactly as it is in my car. I asked them about that when i saw the ad and they responded to me that the picture in the ad was generic, and that they had the correct pattern for my car. I was sceptable too, but i can say that having recieved them they look great, they even added 1/2 inch foam to the covers when i asked them to, Lexus made the seats a bit to hadt to copy Mercedes and BMW, but i like a bit softer of a seat. I wont know how they fit until I install them, but they seem to be great quality, great stiching, and really close color. i will let you guys know how they fit once i install them.
Old 11-14-11, 06:20 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woozy
WOW, thanks for the info, its a great help... and as far as the pattern. they are perfect, exactly as it is in my car. I asked them about that when i saw the ad and they responded to me that the picture in the ad was generic, and that they had the correct pattern for my car. I was sceptable too, but i can say that having recieved them they look great, they even added 1/2 inch foam to the covers when i asked them to, Lexus made the seats a bit to hadt to copy Mercedes and BMW, but i like a bit softer of a seat. I wont know how they fit until I install them, but they seem to be great quality, great stiching, and really close color. i will let you guys know how they fit once i install them.
Please update us with before > during > after pictures. I may end up purchasing these as well if they look okay.
Old 11-15-11, 03:16 AM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to hear they are the correct pattern...I'll be interested in getting a pair for the front now.
Looking forward to the pics...
Old 11-15-11, 07:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tenchu
Please update us with before > during > after pictures. I may end up purchasing these as well if they look okay.
Oh yeah, pics of the procedure along with the directions I posted from the manual and, if you find any shortcuts or easier ways to get something out, would be great for any other members who want to get this done in the future. There was a couple things I did where I wished I had pics. (heater core) Tutorials are great.
Old 11-15-11, 08:06 PM
Do.Man
Pole Position

damn.. i checked out the ad on ebay and its a pretty good deal. exactly what i need! now just to see how it fits and if they have it in tan then im set.

goodluck and be sure to post up some pics after man!
Old 11-15-11, 08:36 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics pics pics.. if everything looks good ill be buying the same covers. mine are all f**ed up. also what all colors do they have available for leather color and stiching color. If im recovering my seats i might as well get em done in the colors i want to fit the same color sceam as the rest of my car.
Old 11-16-11, 03:28 AM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

^^^^ In the ebay link, click on "Colour Swatch" and "Customize" to see the colour and stitching options.
I emailed them and they said that they "guarantee that it will exactly fit the seats."
Old 11-16-11, 05:28 AM
Woozy
Rookie

Im starting on the passenger seat today, not sure ill get it all done today, but i will take pictures of the process. Im not sure how to post alot of pics here so someone may have to help me on that. Wish me luck Guys!
Old 11-16-11, 11:11 AM
Woozy
Rookie

UPDATE, OK well i have got the seat bottom done, and I have some info. The pattern is not quite exact, the center seam on the originals is a double stich, creating a vertical channel, on the new covers it is a single seam, it doesnt look bad at all, but it is not like the original, so if you want an EXACT duplicate this is not the one. Also the original uses plastic pieces on the edge of the cover, and these fit into channel in the seat frame. There are metal clip that slip ovet the platic parts that are sewn to the edges of the cover, and this is what holds them into the channels. The replacements have the typical fabric loop that metal rods go in at the edges, then of course hog rings are usen to attach to the frame. What i did was drill holes into the channel and used coat hangers to use as rods and hog ringed as usual, seems to work fine.

Now I need some helpI have the seat back cover completely off EXCEPT for the headrest. I extended the headrest all the way up, someone told me to do that, and i can pull the foam up and can see the mechinism, but i cant tell how to release the rods from the part that raises and lowers the headrest. Does anyone know how to do that? BTW i am taking pictures of this process, and I will post them as soon as I finish one complete seat, and of course figure out how to load pics on here.
Old 11-16-11, 04:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

iirc you just raise it all the way up, the pull up GENTLY while pressing the up button (while it's already at the top) and it should pop right out.
Old 11-16-11, 04:19 PM
TheDream
Rookie

that's a great price. Is it the full leather or leather/vinyl kit? Looking forward to before/after pictures.
Old 11-16-11, 05:30 PM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

^^^It's full leather.

Quick Reply: 91' LS 400 Recovering front seats