Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS400
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Has anyone ever replaced a steering shaft u-joint here?

Old 11-13-11, 09:47 PM   #1
sdls
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default Has anyone ever replaced a steering shaft u-joint here?

My car's developed a little bit of play in the steering shaft u-joint. It has contributed to loose steering and lackluster handling. I confirmed that it was the u-joint after I poked my head down in the driver side footwell and wiggled the steering wheel. So, has anyone changed the u-joint or have they just replaced the steering shaft itself? Toyota wants $300 for the shaft, including the u-joint, and I think that's incredibly wasteful to change the whole thing, especially if the only thing wrong is a $10 u-joint.

The part I'm talking about is: 45260‑50040 - SHAFT ASSY, STEERING INTERMEDIATE, NO.2.
It is the upper u-joint on the steering column, in the driver footwell. It is part of a larger assembly that includes a ribbed section to collapse when the driver's body hits the steering wheel in an accident. The lower u-joint, which more people are familiar with, is located in the engine bay and is not the cause of my problem.

Any help is appreciated. I searched too. Danke
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
sdls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 05:32 AM   #2
deanshark
Lexus Champion

I just looked through my 93 manual and when it comes to the No. 2 intermediate shaft it just says "remove No. 2 intermediate shaft". It doesn't mention how. It looks like the whole column needs to come out and put in a vice to remove that shaft. But, I could be wrong so don't take that 100%. I'm not sure if that U-joint can come out while the column is still installed. It does look like the U-joint is like any other U-joint; Take out the C clip and press out the U-joint.
No sense paying $300 for the shaft if you don't need the whole thing. It would be cheaper then that to have someone change the U-joint.
deanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 05:09 PM   #3
yoitskenn
Driver
Trader Score: (4)

My U-joint on my 2000 LS is bad as well. It gives me loose steering and you can hear and feel the clunk going over bumps. As I was driving, i took my left foot and held it up against the U-joint to put pressure on it and the clunking goes away.

I purchased the shaft for about 250 from the dealer. None of my friends wanna tackle the job with me so I guess I'm gonna have to take it into a shop and let them deal with it.
yoitskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 04:34 PM   #4
gbracer04
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitskenn View Post
My U-joint on my 2000 LS is bad as well. It gives me loose steering and you can hear and feel the clunk going over bumps. As I was driving, i took my left foot and held it up against the U-joint to put pressure on it and the clunking goes away.

I purchased the shaft for about 250 from the dealer. None of my friends wanna tackle the job with me so I guess I'm gonna have to take it into a shop and let them deal with it.
Did you find someone to install the steering shaft? If so what did they charge for labor? Im pretty sure I have the same problem. Thanks!
gbracer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 04:34 PM

Tags
330, car, club, column, cost, gas, intermediate, is300, joint, replace, replacing, rx, shaft, steering, toyota, ujoint, universal