LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

heater,radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 09:59 PM
erosen4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater,radio not working after starter change

I just had my starter changed on a1991 Lexus Ls400.BUT now radio/cd and my heat is not working!Not a light,nothing.My guy checked all of the fuses in the front,back and even took down the panel from under the stearingweel. All checked out good by his words. I dont have a manual,so i really dont know what they could of screw up,so the heat(or any of the air functions) stoped working! The heat was the only thing that worked like a swiss made watch for me for the last 11 years i owned the car.And now all of the suden after the starter change it dies together with the radio and all. The dashboard is fine.Please HELP!!!
p.s.
Is there a fuse behind the radio/cd panel?Should i make him take that off and look?Winter in Wisconsin is not gonna be fun with the wife and a kid in a frozen Lexus.....

Last edited by erosen4; 11-13-11 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 07:42 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Welcome to CL.
You can probably do without the heat but you deffinately need the radio to drown out the screaming of your wife. "Where's my heat"!!!!! (been there, done that)
I don't think it has to do with the starter replacement, just a coincidence. Unless there is some bare wire somewhere that got grounded and blew a fuse or relay. You need to check the fuses with a meter, not just by sight, b/c sometimes they look good but actually not. There's also the fusible links and relays that are in junction block #2. (Big fuse box in the engine compartment) Check the 2 fusible links in the center of the 4, those are the ones that are to the left when you take off the cover, (40A and 120A) also check the fuse between the first two relays on the left, (#7-DOME-10A) and the "Heater Main Relay" (F) (left front relay) This would have been easier to explain if I had a scanner to post this page in my manual. Hope that helps ya out, I know what it's like with no heat, good luck.
Old 11-18-11, 12:37 PM
erosen4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you,that was helpfull. I checked all of the fuses. All in working condition.I took the radio down and see that all of the wires go to the back of the car.Even dow the radio(and heat)still not working,the cd changer is still operational!! I tought that tey go true same fuse.So it makes me think that it is got to be the wire somewhere(ether pinched or someting.maybe they screwed up something when they replaced the starter). Now,I just want to rewire radio and heat to something else,BUT i dont know which wire is what by color!!! HELP!!!!
Old 11-18-11, 12:55 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Check out this link. It's weird but it has been the cause of some (ALOT) of strange electrical problems on the LS. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html