LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just bought my '93 today, have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 09:35 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my '93 today, have a couple questions.

So as you can tell I am new here. I was lurking here a bit before I bought the car to try and get some ideas what I should look for when buying the car. Thanks to you guys, I got a TON of useful information. So fast forward to today, I picked up my '93 today and so far I am super happy with my purchase. The car has 180k on the clock, and is in fairly decent shape on the outside, sans a few spots where the clear coat is chipping. The interior however is a little rough. Overall though, I'm happy with the car. Runs incredibly smooth, brakes work great, trans shifts nicely, and the tires are brand new. However, I'm having a few issues with the car that I have had some trouble finding info on.

First, I would like to apologize if anything I have asked has been covered. I have done a lot of searching, and found solutions to a few problems, one of them being the steering wheel tilt.

So first off, the windows go down, but struggle going back up. The drivers door window works fine though, its just the other 3. Also, the sunroof opens fine, but won't close. The car has a brand new battery, so that leads me to believe the problem comes elsewhere. Any ideas on issues I could check?

I have found a lot of info on the gauge cluster, but not much on the needles not lighting up/lighting up halfway. My speedo needle gets stuck until about 20, then bounces up as well. Not really sure where to begin, so I come to you guys for help.

Other than those few issues, the car is sound. The dash is completely dried out and has severe cracking in it, and all the leather on the seats is cracking. The steering wheel is also in rough shape. Any suggestions on places to get these items?

Anyways, like I stated earlier, I apologize if this has been covered. I did some digging, but wasn't quite coming up with the answers I was looking for. Thanks to everyone in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I'll be sure to post some pictures in the morning.
Old 11-13-11, 05:45 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Hello and welcome.

I won't call myself a pro at this but i will give you my 2 cents.

For the seats mine had some cracking so i bought some decent fitted covers for the fronts. So it depends on how much you want to spend. Either find some at a salvage or take to a shop to have them recovered.

Dash pad cover is probably best option to hide that issue.

Dash cluster i sent mine in to repair. Check ebay and search for ls400 cluster you will find some options.

Windows hard to say but my money is on the window motors wearing out. Whoever had that car must liked to keep rolling down those 3 windows for air flow.

Bet sunroof is the switch find one cheap in salvage and try that.

I will say these cars are great but take your time and hope you have extra cash too.
Old 11-13-11, 08:14 AM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input Johnny, I definitely appreciate it. I was planning on hitting some junlkl yards this week to see what I can find. I definitely set some extra money aside for picking up the odds and ends to make this thing cherry again. Ill check ebay today for the gauge cluster repair. Thanks again!
Old 11-13-11, 10:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to CL. The "newbie" thread at the top of page will give you alot of info. I know there's a link for the cluster and somewhere in that it covers the needles not lighting correctly. The speedo needle sticking and jumping is very common, it has to do with the heat and humidity. That's also covered in the cluster thread.
The windows going up slow could be your alternator starting to go bad, not giving out enough juice. Seeing how you have a new battery the previous owner might have already known that. You should check if you have a power steering leak b/c they leak onto and into the alternator which causes that problem and kills them. That's very common and covered in the "Power Steering bible" link located in the newbie thread.
All the interior parts you need you can get from the junkyard so, like you already said, check them out. If you don't find what you need then you can check out http://www.car-part.com/
If you're gonna get a dash pad from the JY, here's a link about removing it; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-removal.html
Old 11-13-11, 10:13 AM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all that info! Ill be sure to look through that thread thoroughly.