LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vibration on my 99

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 08:06 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McPierson
Ok which one will you try and change first?
Idk I'm hoping its just bad tires so im goin to get new tires this month and then go from there.
Mounts are my next move after.

Originally Posted by RA40
How many miles on the car? The tranny mount gone south is often accompanied by the gear shift lever vibrating while not moving. Most instances it comes out in 2 pieces, the "V" and lower plate. It will cure some issues but there is a high probability the engine mounts have gone south as well.
I have 117500miles on it.

Originally Posted by GS3mike
vibration as in car shakes or the steering wheel too?
I feel it more in my seat...and alitte in my steering wheel.

Thank you for you all time to respond and ur knowledge.
I'll keep yall posted after I get some tires.

Last edited by rome99LS; 11-03-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 10:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rome99LS
I have 117500miles on it.
I feel it more in my seat...and alitte in my steering wheel.
If you feel a vibration in your seat it would point towards the tranny mount, seeing how the tranny is at that area of the car. You should also feel a slight vibration on the shifter when that mount is bad. It might be just a tiny vibration, on the shifter. My mount is bad (I know I should change it) and I feel it alot in the drivers seat but nothing on passenger seat. Also the tiny bit on shifter. If your problem was tires you would feel it shake, not vibrate, everywhere in the car. The mount usually starts to go at about 100K miles.
Old 11-03-11, 01:21 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanshark
If you feel a vibration in your seat it would point towards the tranny mount, seeing how the tranny is at that area of the car. You should also feel a slight vibration on the shifter when that mount is bad. It might be just a tiny vibration, on the shifter. My mount is bad (I know I should change it) and I feel it alot in the drivers seat but nothing on passenger seat. Also the tiny bit on shifter. If your problem was tires you would feel it shake, not vibrate, everywhere in the car. The mount usually starts to go at about 100K miles.
Oh ok well how much is the mount?? I'll put it on myself ASAP if that's wat it could be.
Old 11-03-11, 02:02 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh ok well how much is the mount?? I'll put it on myself ASAP if that's wat it could be.
$37 from OEMLexusparts.com

http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexus...=10&type=parts
Old 11-03-11, 05:36 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanshark
Oh damn that's it??? Cool ill order the part next week.
Old 11-05-11, 01:00 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the tranny mount also part of the reason why I also get vibration when in park or neutral revving above 2200 Rpm?
Your tranny mount could be worn out/torn but this sounds more like a motor mount issue to me. I had real bad vibrations when driving mine both at 40-60 then at 75-85mph but i didnt have any vibrations while revving the motor in park until my motor mounts took a crap on me. I'd suggest powerbraking the car with the hood open and looking to see how much engine play you have to see how good of shape your motor mounts are before you change the tranny mount. If your motor mounts are shot and the engine is sagging/moving it will destroy your brand new tranny mount with a quickness.
Old 11-05-11, 07:33 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enigma94
Your tranny mount could be worn out/torn but this sounds more like a motor mount issue to me. I had real bad vibrations when driving mine both at 40-60 then at 75-85mph but i didnt have any vibrations while revving the motor in park until my motor mounts took a crap on me. I'd suggest powerbraking the car with the hood open and looking to see how much engine play you have to see how good of shape your motor mounts are before you change the tranny mount. If your motor mounts are shot and the engine is sagging/moving it will destroy your brand new tranny mount with a quickness.
Yea that's true..ill Do that today.
Old 11-06-11, 09:56 AM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idriveals4
FWIW, I have the same 2000rpm flutter and a 42-45 mph vibration. I have the part (Transmission Mount) in hand and plan on changing it this weekend. I'll let you know if it fixes my issues.
FYI, I just changed my transmission mount (It was in two pieces). Went for a drive and no 42 mph vibration and revved through the entire range and no 2000 rpm flutter. It was a very straight forward job.
Old 11-06-11, 11:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Rome, I've driven my similar 2000 LS400 from 38,000 miles to its current 144,680 miles and have dealt with a few vibration issues over the 8+ years I've owned it.

First of all, have you had your tires road forced balanced? IMO, that's the only acceptable way to balance tires used on an LS and sometimes the only good way to tell if a tire is defective. I once had a fairly significant vibration and it was traced to a defective tire only through road force balancing.

Transmission and motor mounts. I'm having a tiny bit of vibration through the steering wheel at idle but my indie Lexus repair shop told me that, at 120,000 miles, the transmission and all motor mounts appear to be in good shape with very little compression. 117,500 miles seems awfully low for the transmission and/or motor mounts to being worn out so badly that they are causing a severe vibration -- unless one is actually broken.

And now for the front strut rods and bushings. How old are yours? The absolutely worst mind boggling front end vibrations I've had on my 2000 LS400 were caused by worn out strut rod bushings. My strut rod bushings were completely shot by the time I finally had new strut rod assemblies installed at around 83,000 miles and I had been dealing with the vibrations since around 75,000 miles. New strut rod assemblies instantly took the car from violent shaking at highway speeds to riding and steering as smooth as glass.

So ... at what mileage were the strut rod assemblies last replaced on your 99 LS?
Old 11-07-11, 09:59 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Rome, I've driven my similar 2000 LS400 from 38,000 miles to its current 144,680 miles and have dealt with a few vibration issues over the 8+ years I've owned it.

First of all, have you had your tires road forced balanced? IMO, that's the only acceptable way to balance tires used on an LS and sometimes the only good way to tell if a tire is defective. I once had a fairly significant vibration and it was traced to a defective tire only through road force balancing.

Transmission and motor mounts. I'm having a tiny bit of vibration through the steering wheel at idle but my indie Lexus repair shop told me that, at 120,000 miles, the transmission and all motor mounts appear to be in good shape with very little compression. 117,500 miles seems awfully low for the transmission and/or motor mounts to being worn out so badly that they are causing a severe vibration -- unless one is actually broken.

And now for the front strut rods and bushings. How old are yours? The absolutely worst mind boggling front end vibrations I've had on my 2000 LS400 were caused by worn out strut rod bushings. My strut rod bushings were completely shot by the time I finally had new strut rod assemblies installed at around 83,000 miles and I had been dealing with the vibrations since around 75,000 miles. New strut rod assemblies instantly took the car from violent shaking at highway speeds to riding and steering as smooth as glass.

So ... at what mileage were the strut rod assemblies last replaced on your 99 LS?
When I took my car to get an oil change at Goodyear 2wks ago they said that they couldn't find anything that needed tobe replaced on it. I have know idea when the strut rods and bushings been replaced. I just got the car in July. I've had my tires balanced but not Road force balancing, although I did hear about this and was wondering if I needed this done. I'm definitely going todo this first and then go from there. All my tires are not the same brand and they are the tires that was on there when I purchased the car. I am lookin into replacing them as as I can tho.

I don't feel any vibration at Idle only when rolling and as soon as I get to 50mph on the dot it starts. But if I rev the motor while in park or neutral it vibrates.
Old 11-07-11, 11:52 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

When I took my car to get an oil change at Goodyear 2wks ago they said that they couldn't find anything that needed tobe replaced on it. I have know idea when the strut rods and bushings been replaced. I just got the car in July. I've had my tires balanced but not Road force balancing, although I did hear about this and was wondering if I needed this done. I'm definitely going todo this first and then go from there. All my tires are not the same brand and they are the tires that was on there when I purchased the car. I am lookin into replacing them as as I can tho.

I don't feel any vibration at Idle only when rolling and as soon as I get to 50mph on the dot it starts. But if I rev the motor while in park or neutral it vibrates.
For me my worst vibration was due to bad tires and brakes. The fronts were grabbing and causing vibration. Tires looked new but were over 5 years old and cracked.

Engine mounts might be an issue for you too. Haven't done mine yet.
Old 11-07-11, 05:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

When I took my car to get an oil change at Goodyear 2wks ago they said that they couldn't find anything that needed tobe replaced on it. I have know idea when the strut rods and bushings been replaced.
Have a Lexus dealer tech do an alignment on your car if your tires prove to be OK or after they are replaced if the tires are not OK. A Lexus dealer alignment tech identified the worn out stut rods on my 00 LS after several tire shops had missed it and had tried to eliminate the vibration through tire balancing.

I can't imagine taking an LS to Goodyear.

Last edited by Kansas; 11-07-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 07:51 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

I was pretty much thinking along the same lines.

My old mount showed no signs of distress.

I also got the O'reilly's mount (mostly due to ignorance, and lack of patience). It worked just fine and solved MY problem, but I think the OEM mount has fit alittle better.
Old 11-07-11, 08:06 PM
FromOman
Driver School Candidate

Hi
first time on the forum.
I am having the same problem, changed both engine and gearbox mounts, still the same vibration comes as the gear shifts up.
Mine is 98 model.
Old 11-09-11, 05:20 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

So the dealer wants $149 to road balance my tires that's the cost of 1 or 2 tires I told him ok thanks. Lol

Quick Reply: vibration on my 99