LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vibration on my 99

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 03:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma94
If he is having a vibration issue WHILE IN PARK why would his spend money going after issues that would give him a vibration only while being driven? I would look into the tranny mount and your motor mounts first as strut rod bushings and tire balancing will not resolve the vibration issue with the car in park.
Look at Rome's very first post in this thread which said: "I'm getting vibration right at 50mph and then goes away...then at 80 mph does it again"

Last edited by Kansas; 11-17-11 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 05:57 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson

My old mount showed no signs of distress.
I just want to point this out again. My mount WAS bad and showed no visual signs.

The vibration is more of a noise like someone has a bad *** system and it's hitting the lowest note. I don't remember really feeling it.

A bad tire has more of a shake to it, and you don't hear that (it's too low). You hear the things that are ratteling.

I couldn't tell you what other people have experienced or if their mount is bad, but it was pretty obvious to me, although I knew there was a possibility that I was throwing parts at the problem.
Old 11-16-11, 09:12 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson

A bad tire has more of a shake to it, and you don't hear that (it's too low). You hear the things that are ratteling.
Actually, the tires on the LS are VERY sensitive to balance, and they do give off a vibration when they're a tiny, tiny, bit off.
Although, if I was chasing a vibration, (at whatever speed, 0-100) I would take a chance at the tranny mount first, it's the cheapest fix. You can find them for around $35 and they are known to go bad.
Old 11-16-11, 02:12 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome99LS
Ok bet ill order my mounts ASAP. Lol and yea these cars are quiet and smooth. That's why I'm tryna get it fixed. Do I need 2jacks? And how long did it take you?
I used ramps to raise the car, and a jack with a block of wood under the transmission pan (near the edge, not the center) to support the trans. I had an impact gun so that definitely cut some time. It took me about 15 minutes total. Very easy. If you have 2 jackstands (which you should be using anyway if you're working under the car) you can just put the car up on the stands and then use the jack for the transmission.
Old 11-17-11, 03:41 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anarchyx34
I used ramps to raise the car, and a jack with a block of wood under the transmission pan (near the edge, not the center) to support the trans. I had an impact gun so that definitely cut some time. It took me about 15 minutes total. Very easy. If you have 2 jackstands (which you should be using anyway if you're working under the car) you can just put the car up on the stands and then use the jack for the transmission.
Ok my neighbor has ramps ill see if i can use his. That's not bad, but I don't have an impact it will he by hand with regular ratchet sockets, so hopefully it doesnt take long for me todo it.
Then ill go back to the tires.
Old 11-18-11, 06:56 AM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't need a impact. Hand tools was all I used. It really was easy and straight forward.
Old 11-18-11, 09:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Ok my neighbor has ramps ill see if i can use his. That's not bad, but I don't have an impact it will he by hand with regular ratchet sockets, so hopefully it doesnt take long for me todo it.
Then ill go back to the tires.
Actually you really only need one jack and one jack stand, if that's all you can get your hands on. You only need to raise one side of the car, put the stand there and use the jack to raise/hold the tranny (use a piece of wood on the jack) while you take out the crossmember. It's a very easy, and cheap, job to do. Half hour tops, even if ya never worked on a vehicle. You probably seen the tutorial already to replace the tranny and motor mounts but if not here it is, tranny mount is post #2; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html
Old 11-21-11, 06:19 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Thanks for all you guys help...ill let yall now as soon as I get the tranny mounts and hope it will make a difference!!!
Old 11-25-11, 10:11 AM
ThisIsIt20
Driver School Candidate

I ran across this thread by accident and since I am having (had) the same issue, I took my time and read through the thread.

I just went ahead and had the tranny mount replaced on Tuesday of last week and it fixed my problem.

The old tranny mount didn't look like it was bad while under the car, but once removed, you can clearly tell that it had completely collapsed.

Thumbs up to this thread.
Old 11-25-11, 07:26 PM
carguychar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguychar
I have the same Vibration, getting ready to change the trans mount this week, As with most everyone esle, it does it when sitting in PARK also, that would eliminate any Tire problems I . Will let you know how mine does after I finiish.
Problem solved !!!!!!

changed motor mounts and tranny mount, all were in bad shape ! 114K miles on the car, took 2 1/2 hrs to do working over a pit, only way to go !!!
what a differnce !! drives like a new car,

still have a little noise when I drive over a sharp curb

thanks for the input ,
Old 11-26-11, 06:25 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Damn I see a lot of people had the same problem I have. I'm convinced, I will definitly do the tranny mounts first.
Old 12-01-11, 10:00 AM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Could I buy the mounts from Oriellys or a reogular parts store?
Old 12-01-11, 11:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Could I buy the mounts from Oriellys or a reogular parts store?
when the OEM part is only like $30-40, why would you?
Old 12-01-11, 11:30 AM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a rumble or any sound. But mine the shifter will shake while im driving. I'm guessing that's the sign my transmission mount is bad????
Old 12-02-11, 03:07 PM
rome99LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
when the OEM part is only like $30-40, why would you?
Oh ok cool. Dealer also sells it for that price as well?

Quick Reply: vibration on my 99