LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

air suspension question.....again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 10:21 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking air suspension question.....again!

whats up everyone? i know my air suspension system will go bad sometime in the future. hopefully not until another 200,000 miles. is there any way to do preventative maintainance? or be able to rebuild the air suspension when it does go bad? and if there were any sellers on here for the air suspension...who are you? show yourselves! lolz
Old 10-04-02, 01:05 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

try www.car-part.com. search under image.
Old 10-05-02, 10:17 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Unhappy

A BIG :SIGH: today i went to the auto electric place to get my air suspension controller installed. i woke up around 8 in the morning and had my friend(ryan aka kiz0ku) help me disassemble the rear seat,trunk carpet, and lining. it tooks us about 2 hours so i saved about $120 before i took it in to get it installed. we ran the set of wires through the wall behind the rear seat. so we took it in at about 10:30. i gave the technician the schematics that were sent to me and showed him that the air suspension is functioning properly. i was sooooo hyped during the time. but, at around 1:30 they said that they couldn't do it because lack of instructions. it seems that there were five wires that were left and all that was written on it was...."tap into existing wires". the technician told me that the air suspension controller wasn't getting any power. he had no way of knowing because none of the lights on the controller was lighting up. so, he insisted that one of the wires triggers it the ignition to turn on.i was like dayum. he told me to get more info on it and he'll be more than happy to install it. he didn't want to trial and error the remaining wires because he said it can blow something. the good thing about it was that they had A+ service. no BS and they didn't work on it....so no labor cost. so if any of you know anything i should know about it ...please help. i would be much appreciated. sorry this is lengthy.
Old 10-07-02, 08:15 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get your controller from? Have you tried contacting the company you bought it from to get the information you need?

Were the install instructions written specifically for the LS? or were they general instructions?

If the only issue left is the controller power connection then this is a pretty simple fix. If all it says is "Tap" into then that means you need to connect the controller in parallel (Not series) with the ower source. You can buy the electrical tap connector at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

If the controller needs to be connected to the ignition on power (Switched) then you will need to locate the correct wire to splice, the positive side and the negative side. Only the positive side will be switched.

You can also contact a local service dealer, ask to talk to service and explain what your doing and see if you can get a photocopy of the electrical that you need. I say that because my dealer helped me out when I was installing my Jacobs ignition system.

Sounds to me like you have all the hard stuff done. The reason the instructions are only telling you to "Tap into existing wires" is because this is just a common sense issue. Kinda like "No explaination required".

But then again, without reading the instructions I am just giving it a good guess. I'd have to read the instructions and know the rest of the wire connections on the controller to know for sure.
Old 10-07-02, 11:00 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

ok thank you for your input. i actually bought the air suspension controlleroff of one these guys off of clublexus. the instructions that were given to me were basically schematics from the service manual and wires that were labelled with (B 2 ,10,11) and such. they were not step-by-step instructions to install the air suspension controller. there are 15 wires. 4 pairs of wires going to the sensors and height control, 2 wires (+) and ground(-). and five unmarked wires that say "tap into wiring system". now it is kind of hard if you don't have step by step instructions and wires that aren't color coordinated like the lexus ones(two color wires). it is easier said than done. its kind of hard to say that the five wires that need to be tapped are common sense. unless you can tell me what each one does. i assume the controller needs to have some sort of power from the ignition. now out of those five wires, one of them may trigger the ignition and turn it on. but trial and error can be an expensive result. it can mess up the whole ecu unit. i've tried e-mailing the seller and no contact as of yet. hopefully he didn't sell me a broken item.
Old 10-07-02, 12:54 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm,

If you have 5 wires marked as "Tap into wiring system" then I agree your going to have a problem identifying where they go. Maybe that's why the guy you bought it from isn't using it.

Do you know who the manufacturer is? Maybe they can help. I take it you've already contacted the seller and asked for their input.

Your right, you'll need more information.
Old 10-08-02, 12:07 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Unhappy

no luck on contacting the original seller(toylexmods). that is the only way i could get info on this air suspension controller. and i've tried to look for information on the air suspension controller but nothing came up. what should i do? any input would be greatly appreciated.

-alex