LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

fats new 99 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 07:51 PM
fatcat2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fats new 99 ls400

as you guys know i was in an accident in my last ls400 and decided i liked it so much to get another. With the money i received i was actually able to upgrade a few years to what i liked a little better. this one has a much better interior then my last with a few less miles which i think is fair since i was out of a car for near two months. state farm is the slowest insurance company ever! anyway, here are some starter pics of the car completely stock. just ordered the beatsonic wood kit/harness to start things off. going to probably get some tint on it this weekend as well.

So far the only thing a little off is that the trunk doesn't close with ease, I have to lay it down then push down on it quite hard to get it to close. slamming it does nothing. Kind of annoying, anyone know how to fix this? did a search on here with nothing, ill try google next.

Old 10-06-11, 09:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good pickup, the trunk latch is probably not aligned quite right.
Old 10-06-11, 09:29 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm jealous. Very nice pick up. That's the color and the year I'd get if I had the money. Would you mind telling me how much you it set you back?
Old 10-06-11, 09:33 PM
fatcat2
Driver

QUOTE=PureDrifter;6733410]good pickup, the trunk latch is probably not aligned quite right.[/QUOTE]

I'll try and play with it this weekend, ever done this before? any advice on how to adjust it?

i got it for 8k

Last edited by fatcat2; 10-06-11 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:48 PM
ImWildBill
Driver School Candidate

Looks very clean!

As for the trunk, try to WD 40 the latch first before you move the latch. If the latch is off, you can probably tell by paint rubbing off of the hook the latch hooks onto. I don't know how the Lexus latch is adjusted, but most vehicles have a bolt on each side of the hook that can be loosened and moved and then re-tightened. Good luck!
Old 10-07-11, 07:30 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice upgrade from the last one, try to keep this one a little longer. My son had a problem with the trunk latch on his Toyota, his problem was the part on the trunk lid was bent from being slammed so many times. But the most probable culprit is the part everyone mentioned, (the hook on the bottom) you just loosen the two bolts and move it where you want. I said this before but " I love that garage"
Old 10-07-11, 08:41 AM
fatcat2
Driver

Originally Posted by deanshark
Nice upgrade from the last one, try to keep this one a little longer. My son had a problem with the trunk latch on his Toyota, his problem was the part on the trunk lid was bent from being slammed so many times. But the most probable culprit is the part everyone mentioned, (the hook on the bottom) you just loosen the two bolts and move it where you want. I said this before but " I love that garage"
ha, i know its pretty sweet, wish it were mine. dads going to pick up a new jag here in a bit to fill that garage up. trying to talk him into a project car for us to work on together but its going to take some convincing. the second set of pics with the rain is where my garage is.

Thanks for the advice on the bolts, i did a little search and didn't find anything was glad i didn't have to do a deeper look. maybe ill give it a shot once i wake up.
Old 10-07-11, 01:01 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

yes it is adjustable, but dont get it too tight, the seal keeps the water out, not the latch

love your 99, my colors, my wifes is like yours, wheels and all, mine has 97 wheels, all chrome.
Attached Thumbnails fats new 99 ls400-100_1869.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-07-11 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 10:05 PM
Eds98LS
Driver

Love the color. Seeing all the pix tonight makes me think gold emblems and white paint were the norm. So far I've gotten my front L emblem chrome. Hoping this weekend to un-gold the other ones using buffing power and rubbing compound.

Old 12-23-11, 04:29 PM
fatcat2
Driver

So i found these rims on craigslist and fell in love. unfortunately they were the wrong bolt pattern. they are 112 instead of 114 :-/ i took a few snaps real quick to see how they will look. what do you guys think? next step is to lower it down to kill that gap after i get adapters to make these fit.

My little helper :-D

Old 12-23-11, 05:01 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry but those new wheels are hideous
Old 12-23-11, 05:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you're going to be out ~$200ish to get those redrilled, give or take.

i'd just upgrade to a better looking (similar style if you want) set that's made in the right bolt pattern.
Old 12-23-11, 10:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Those might look ok once the car is slammed. The whole re-drilling and adapters route is extra $ and then depending on the thickness of the adapters if the fenders need mods to clear. The ones for those BMW wheels were ~25mm. These look flush+ so going the adapter route is going to poke.
Old 12-25-11, 02:09 AM
hirosada
Driver School Candidate

Haha, Holstens... I love these ugly A8 knock offs. So much so I have them as well, in the 19" x 9.5" something like a +35 offset. They really do need spacers out back and the front needs to be about .5" lower. But any lower in the front means making holes, new UCA's, fenderwork.. blah blah blah.

I did park next to a Jetta wagon about a year ago with some Holstens, and they were 18" x 8" and they looked almost flat.

Anyway here they are on a slightly lowered car:
Old 12-25-11, 11:58 AM
fatcat2
Driver

Originally Posted by hirosada
Haha, Holstens... I love these ugly A8 knock offs. So much so I have them as well, in the 19" x 9.5" something like a +35 offset. They really do need spacers out back and the front needs to be about .5" lower. But any lower in the front means making holes, new UCA's, fenderwork.. blah blah blah.

I did park next to a Jetta wagon about a year ago with some Holstens, and they were 18" x 8" and they looked almost flat.

Anyway here they are on a slightly lowered car:
ooO thank you! i really do love these wheels still, bummed i have to get adapters though. with a quick fit it didnt seem like they were going to clear the front breaks, the backs seemed fine though. and yeah i need to dump it thats next on my list in a few months. mine are 20's though. will have to borrow my friends fender roller most likely since i will need spacers.

Quick Reply: fats new 99 ls400