LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

AUTO LOCK DELAY on 1st gen, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 04:42 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Default AUTO LOCK DELAY on 1st gen, normal?

I've never heard this mentioned at all but on my 93 if I unlock with the remote all 4 doors will unlock normal. If I open the back door, throw something in, close the door and leave it for 30 seconds it will relock all 4 doors. I know you can program the 98-00 remote to do that but is it a normal feature on the 1st gen? Is there a way to turn that off somehow? Sometimes my daughter uses the car and I've seen her put my granddaughter in the back seat and throw her purse in the car. (Who knows if the keys might be in her purse) What if it auto locks? She'll be screwed.
Old 10-05-11, 12:56 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey dean.

I got on the computer today and searched mitchell high and low for the theft system.

Nowhere does it imply nor suggest, or even give a test procedure for reprogramming the theft ecu.

It does however, suggest that a door lock, or even the door pin switches could be the problem.
Try closing all the doors. Open and close one at a time and check to see if the courtesy lights work properly. Make sure the "door open" indicator lights up on the dash for each door.

It very well be a temporary disable function not working properly.

for example, if you have the alarm set, and you open the trunk with the key, it temporarily disables the theft system, until you reclose the trunk....and at that point, 30 seconds later, the system re-arms itself.

Hope this helps. If you need anything specific, let me know. I will just tell my boss its for my car, and I should be able to print out just about anything. As long as its not as thick as a book
Old 10-05-11, 01:22 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Yeah, it's weird. All the lights (courtesy and dash) work like they're supposed to with each door. The doors relock themselves if I open the front or back. I'll look around some more for some info but I can't find anything on it. Oh well. Sometimes I leave the key on the center console when I get out (if I'm gonna be near the car) and I roll the window down so when it locks itself I can still get in. I'll just have to rimind my daughter when she takes the car. Thanks.
Old 10-05-11, 01:51 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Apparently, the problem could be the remote, the radio antenna, the rear window defogger window grid, ignition switch, the door key cylinder switches, the door pin switches.

There is a radio test for the remote. Put the radio on 94.9 fm, sand press the buttons on the remote, if you hear noise/ static while operating the remote, it suggests the remote is faulty.
Seriously over complicated.
Old 10-05-11, 02:44 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

just looked at everything again. And it seems that it is the rear door open detection switch.

When i get home tonight, i will post the test procedure and specs if you'd like
Old 10-05-11, 05:49 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I'll check it all out tomorrow but if you have something that might help me with it, I'll listen, I'm open to any ideas. One thing though, if I need to turn the radio to 94.9 then pushing the button on the remote wont do anything b/c the alarm and everything will be off b/c the key will be in the ignition and in the on possition. Maybe it will work if I use the valet key in ignition and try pushing the remote with the other key. I'll also try unhooking both back door switches to see if that does anything. Sometimes, maybe all the time I can't remember, if I leave it unlocked and go in a store, when I come out it will be locked. Did the 93s even come equiped with the "auto lock"?
Old 10-05-11, 09:41 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Ok, so to answer your last question first, the "auto lock" isnt exactly that, it is an auto re-lock.
On a perfectly functioning theft system, you can have the windows rolled down, car lock, theft deter "on". If you reach in and manually unlock any door, the theft deter would automatically relock the car and set off the horns and flash the lights.
So from everything I have read on the 25 pages I printed out, it now seems it could be 1 of 2 things....the door lock ecu,or the theft detection ecu. Basically, something is not turning off the theft system, but only temporarily disarming it.

now, back to the begining......
The radio test....this is word for word....

Close all doors. Disconnect antenna cable from remote door lock ecu. Ecu is located on left side of luggage compartment. Insert ignition key (transmitter) into antenna location of ecu.........press transmitter button. DO NOT let transmitter come in contact with ecu case (transmitter will be grounded). If all doors lock and unlock go to next step. If all doors do not lock and unlock, problem is in the antenna circuit.
Tune radio to 94.9fm. While listening to radio, push transmitter button. If noise is heard from radio, malfuntion is in remote system. If noise is not heard, inspect transmitter.

I gotta tell ya, typing all this out sucks. And feels like forever....i really need a computer, this tablet thing isnt working so well.
Old 10-05-11, 10:01 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

and to randomly throw out the begining part of the whole entire operation.....

Operation....
Setting the theft deterrent system...

Close all doors,hood and luggage compartment. Remove ignition key feom ignition switch. Lock vehicle using one of 3 methods listed :
.using key, lock left or right door (all doors are locked through key-interlinked lock operation)
.lock all doors using wireless door lock control system
.with rear doors locked and one of the front doors locked, lock other front door using keyless door lock (without key)

After performing one method listed above, indicator light on instrument panel will light continuously for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, indicator light will blink once per second. When theft deterrent system is set, doors cannot be locked or unlocked using door lock control switch and luggage compartment cannot be opened with luggage compartment door opener switch.
Old 10-06-11, 06:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey John, thank you deeply for the info, and your time retrieving the info. I hate electrical work on cars, especially this Lexus. But I'm an idiot, I didn't realize all the info I needed is in my service manual. (volume 2) I think I opened that volume once or twice. But I wouldn't have looked if I didn't get the info from you, I'm sooo sorry for you spending all that time on something I already had. I feel really bad. From all the tests I've done so far it's all pointing to the Theft Deterrent and Door Lock Control ECU, (up under the dash) not the Wireless Door Lock ECU. (in trunk) The more I read and think back in time, my alarm hasn't been working for a while, just the door locks. Looks like that's another ECU I need to take out and open up. That I will do next time I take the dash apart, I don't need an alarm now anyway. For now I'll just live with the problem, which really isn't a big deal unless my daughter uses the car. I just got a magnetic key holder and stashed it, just incase, for her. Anyone want to try and find it, before I....... "release, the dogs"?
Thanks again John, for all your help. And hey, get a computor so you can type quicker.
Old 10-06-11, 07:51 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

No problem,
At one point I almost typed "im just gunna mail this to you !"

The theft system is seriously over complicated. I mean really? The rear window defogger grid is tied into it? sheesh
Old 10-06-11, 02:12 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emarknot
No problem,
At one point I almost typed "im just gunna mail this to you !"

The theft system is seriously over complicated. I mean really? The rear window defogger grid is tied into it? sheesh
Tell me about it. Everything with this car is complicated and over engineered. That's why I'm leaving it alone for now, screw that. You would think they would put the 2 ECUs together, or at least near each other. But 1 is in the trunk and the other burried way up inside the dash. Stupidity. Like alot of things on this car, eh, I'll just deal with it.