LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Some restoration products that have worked well for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 06:29 AM
tcmzodiac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some restoration products that have worked well for me

Hello all,

My 1995 was in pretty good shape already when I bought her, but there is always something to be done!

1) Turtle Wax brand carpet cleaner
This has Scotchguard in it, which is good. It cleans better than any such cleaner Ive tried...and does not have a heavy odor at all (what it does have fades away fast)

2) Magic Mender leather repair

I had some deep creases in the driver's seat that trapped dirt and would eventually turn into full-blown cracks. They were unsightly. I found Magic Mender online and, using their color chart, ordered the Ivory for my seat.

The stuff works GREAT! Follow the instructions at their website. It flows out really well, and seems very durable. The color match was almost perfect...maybe, a tiny bit pinker than stock...no one will notice. I brushed on 2 coats with the supplied foam brush, and finished off with a mist coat, sprayed with a PreVal sprayer from the auto shop. REALLY GOOD results!!!!

3) Porter-Cable buffer/polisher

Dont recall the model number, but it's at Lowe's for 130.00 Using 1500 grit I wet sanded scratches...then using foam pads (3M) and Meguires and 3M compounds, returned those spots to FACTORY_AS_NEW. This tool is safe...you wont damage anything (using common sense)