LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 Dies on long trips.

Old 09-25-11, 11:47 PM
NZLou
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 Dies on long trips.

I've had my LS for a while now and I have had this problem a few times since I bought it.
Basicaly whats happening is on a long journey say, an hour or so at 100km/h (60miles)
I will come to an intersection or somewhere that requires me to stop and the car will
rev down and die. It restarts first pop without hesitation straight after and will drive fine.
It doesnt do it with around town driving ie lower speed.
Fuel comsumption seems normal to me. And the car never 'hunts' or rev's up and down on its own.

Seems odd to me that its completely fine 99% of the time. I have though it may be the MAF
but I'm not sure how to test it.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-11, 12:46 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the model of your ECU/ECM
There are a few ECU/ECM that are known to fail and give you these problems
It happen to me in my 1995 LS400 once i changed it out everything was running excellent again
Does your car hesitate sometimes when you accelerate???
Old 09-26-11, 01:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well known ECU issue. search for the part numbers of the updated ECU and find a used one.
Old 09-26-11, 01:42 AM
NZLou
Rookie

Not really something I wanted to hear. They arent commonly seen in the scrap yards over here. I'd have more luck finding rocking horse **** localy to be honest.
Does it have any other symptoms?
Since I dont drive long distance very often can I carry on as is until I can find a replacement?
Old 09-26-11, 02:52 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

u can take it to ur local napa and they can send it off to cardone in pa to have it fixed..if that ends up to be the problem..sounds like it is..no cel on?
Old 09-26-11, 02:57 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I' vd got the same problem, with the same sympthoms. Turning on the AC a minute before coming up to that stop helps.
There are also places in the US that can update the ECU for some $150 or so. On the webpage that I read they claim that they do the job in one day and the rest is up to the shipping companies.
Also, you don't damage anything as such if you don't fix it. The only danger is if you suddenly find yourself rolling at 20-30 miles/hour into e.g. a heavily trafficked roundabout without the engine running thus having no power-steering, nor power-brakes.
//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 09-26-11 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph
Old 09-26-11, 03:05 AM
NZLou
Rookie

Originally Posted by python
u can take it to ur local napa and they can send it off to cardone in pa to have it fixed..if that ends up to be the problem..sounds like it is..no cel on?
Nope no check light. Have had a bit of a search and it sounds like you guys are on the money.
Also, I'm in New Zealand so I'm not that keen sending it over your way just yet.
I'll keep an eye out on ebay and the like and see if anything pops up. If not I might just go aftermarket management.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-11, 03:34 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

pretty sure finding one in the US and getting it sent to NZ (even with really high shipping and item cost) would be a hell of a lot cheaper than anything that will properly control your car+trans.... (should definitely 100% be less than ~400NZD incl. shipping)
Old 09-27-11, 07:39 AM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Change/flush the transmission fluid. The torque converter lockup clutch will stick causing the engine to spin down and die at a stop after a while on the road. The clutch never disengages. Once this happens, it will be fine until you put it in that position again. It feels like a standard trans that you never take out of gear or press the clutch when coming to a stop. Changing the fluid has worked for me most of the time. However, I have had to replace the TC before.
Old 09-27-11, 08:07 AM
python
Lexus Champion

wow interesting thought..i havent heard of anyone replacing the tc before on this forum though. worth a shot i guess
Old 09-27-11, 10:03 AM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Originally Posted by python
wow interesting thought..i havent heard of anyone replacing the tc before on this forum though. worth a shot i guess
Replacing TC would be the last thing. The ECU problem was a programming issue with the idle speed control valve logic. It would die before coming to a stop. It was only on 95's as I recall.
Old 09-27-11, 11:34 AM
python
Lexus Champion

yea i thought it was only the 95
Old 09-27-11, 01:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

afaik it's 95's and some 96's but i havent paid attention to it in years...
Old 09-27-11, 02:24 PM
Skynet27
Driver School Candidate

Check the EGR valve and see if it's sticky or staying open. This is usually caused by an EGR that after a long continuous drive stays open, then you pull up to a stop or get off an exit ramp and the valve stays open leans out the mixture and kills the engine. After you restart it the valve closes and the car runs perfect again. Thats where I would start.
Old 09-27-11, 03:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Skynet27
Check the EGR valve and see if it's sticky or staying open. This is usually caused by an EGR that after a long continuous drive stays open, then you pull up to a stop or get off an exit ramp and the valve stays open leans out the mixture and kills the engine. After you restart it the valve closes and the car runs perfect again. Thats where I would start.
that's exceptionally rare on the LS, and especially so when the ecu is a known issue with a TSB issued.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 LS400 Dies on long trips.