LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TRAC CHECK ENGINE TRAC-OFF light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 07:08 AM
vicious
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAC CHECK ENGINE TRAC-OFF light problem

so i remember a while back someone also had the same problem but never found out if he got it fix.. anyways...

1993 ls400

lights that are on-
TRAC
CHECK ENGINE
TRAC-OFF

TRAC comes on after about 5 mins of driving

had the problem earlier in the summer but they went away after about a week. then a month ago they came back on

the trac/trac-off seemed to have came on after i pulled out the ash tray when i was gonna put a new stereo in. not sure if its a coincidence or maybe a wire possibly got pulled a little?

Last edited by vicious; 09-24-11 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-24-11, 07:12 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

what YEAR MODEL do you have?
the check engine light will have set a code, what is it??
Old 09-24-11, 07:16 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I had those lights come on, and it resulted in what I believe the transmission going into limp mode(Terrible accelerations, wouldn't exceed 40).

It eventually went away on it's own.
Old 09-24-11, 07:57 AM
vicious
Rookie

Originally Posted by billydpowe
what YEAR MODEL do you have?
the check engine light will have set a code, what is it??
my bad, added make and model. ill have to check the code.. and how to do that.. lol
Old 09-24-11, 12:21 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vicious
my bad, added make and model. ill have to check the code.. and how to do that.. lol
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 09-24-11, 12:52 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

quote:ill have to check the code.. and how to do that.. lol.....

tenchu just showed you how to do it...

post the results: then we can try to help......
Old 09-24-11, 02:29 PM
vicious
Rookie

quote:ill have to check the code.. and how to do that.. lol.....

tenchu just showed you how to do it...

post the results: then we can try to help......

for ENGINE
2 blinks.. 5 blinks... repeat

for TRAC
4 blinks, 3 blinks, 5blinks, 1 blink... repeat

so according to the guide,
ENGINE 25 - Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction

TRAC-
43- none? although for ABS its "43 - Malfunction in TRAC control system" which seems similar

51 - Problem in engine control system

Last edited by vicious; 09-24-11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 04:05 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

for ENGINE
2 blinks.. 5 blinks... repeat

for TRAC
4 blinks, 3 blinks, 5blinks, 1 blink... repeat

so according to the guide,
ENGINE 25 - Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction

TRAC-
43- none? although for ABS its "43 - Malfunction in TRAC control system" which seems similar

51 - Problem in engine control system
(this is a repost, but covers yours)
That could be so many things. You need to start with how your car is acting, and do some deductions from that.

Just from that code, it could be the IACV, a vacuum leak, bad pcv valve, dirty/bad injectors, dirty air filter, exhaust leak, bad maf, bad O2 sensor, broken/open dipstick plug, fuel pressure loss somewhere, or simply bad gas (too much moisture in your fuel lines).....

To check IACV. Have car warmed up and at idle. Turn the steering wheel. Does it almost stall?

To check vacuum leak. Buy a can of Brake Cleaner and gently spray your hoses while the car is running. If idle changes then you found your leak. Do the same for the pcv valve.

To find an exhaust leak. Seafoam the car through the brake booster. When its time to turn on have someone check the exhaust pipes for white smoke. That'll tell you where the exhaust leak is at.

To find out if its the injectors. Reset the ecu and let the car warm up. When it's fully warm is the idle really really low? Does the car shake a little?

To clean the maf. Since your car is a 92-95, clean it with compressed air, electric parts cleaner, or VERY gently with alcohol. Do not use the hotwire maf cleaner from the store.

It's easy to check the filter/gas...

To check the O2 sensor, this would be the last thing to look at. (Process of deduction) If everything else is good then it might be the O2 sensors.
Old 09-24-11, 04:14 PM
vicious
Rookie

(this is a repost, but covers yours)
That could be so many things. You need to start with how your car is acting, and do some deductions from that.

Just from that code, it could be the IACV, a vacuum leak, bad pcv valve, dirty/bad injectors, dirty air filter, exhaust leak, bad maf, bad O2 sensor, broken/open dipstick plug, fuel pressure loss somewhere, or simply bad gas (too much moisture in your fuel lines).....

To check IACV. Have car warmed up and at idle. Turn the steering wheel. Does it almost stall?

To check vacuum leak. Buy a can of Brake Cleaner and gently spray your hoses while the car is running. If idle changes then you found your leak. Do the same for the pcv valve.

To find an exhaust leak. Seafoam the car through the brake booster. When its time to turn on have someone check the exhaust pipes for white smoke. That'll tell you where the exhaust leak is at.

To find out if its the injectors. Reset the ecu and let the car warm up. When it's fully warm is the idle really really low? Does the car shake a little?

To clean the maf. Since your car is a 92-95, clean it with compressed air, electric parts cleaner, or VERY gently with alcohol. Do not use the hotwire maf cleaner from the store.

It's easy to check the filter/gas...

To check the O2 sensor, this would be the last thing to look at. (Process of deduction) If everything else is good then it might be the O2 sensors.

yeah i also saw that as well, kinda hoped mayb someone had narrowed it down lol
Old 09-25-11, 07:11 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

yeah i also saw that as well, kinda hoped mayb someone had narrowed it down lol
You're the only one that could narrow it down, on your car, by going through the list and checking off what is good. It doesn't take much time to check all that stuff. Hope ya find it.
Old 09-25-11, 07:11 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

quote: "yeah i also saw that as well, kinda hoped mayb someone had narrowed it down lol."
fortunately I have never had this same problem, I had CEL/VSC on one of my 99's but it was the VVT oil control valve.

just trying to help..
Old 09-25-11, 07:50 AM
vicious
Rookie

what has to be done to fix the "ENGINE 25 - Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction"
Old 09-25-11, 08:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

what has to be done to fix the "ENGINE 25 - Air-fuel ratio lean malfunction"
It could be a number of things. Without all the equipment to do a proper diagnostic test, the things I would check to narrow it down are; (not in any certain order)
main heated oxygen sensor, and harness
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Ignition system components
AFM
Old 10-09-11, 12:06 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same exact problem with my '91 LS400, about a month after I picked it up (165,XXX miles) the same lights came on, occasiaonally the check engine and TRAC lights would disapear, but the TRAC OFF light would remain. for some reason I came to a conclusion that the alternator wasnt charging right, so I had it rebuilt, and havent had a problem since. Although, it rained last week, and for the first time in months, the lights came back ONE TIME, but after restarting the car and gunning it a few times, I havent seen the light since...

I would check the carging voltage ont eh alternator, maybe a dead battery, or some other electrical issue.

let me know if it helped at all
Old 10-09-11, 06:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GaborL
the lights came back ONE TIME, but after restarting the car and gunning it a few times, I havent seen the light since...

I would check the carging voltage ont eh alternator, maybe a dead battery, or some other electrical issue.
This makes me laugh, driving the car, engine light comes on, beat on the car to see if it goes away. The engine light isn't there to tell you that you're not driving it hard enough it's there to tell you "there's a problem, stop driving it and get it checked." Even though the light turns off the problem was still there and you should get it checked so that same problem doesn't happen again, there's still a code stored in the computor until you clear it.
The codes the original poster has doesn't have anything to do with the charging system, checking that would be a waste of time.

Quick Reply: TRAC CHECK ENGINE TRAC-OFF light problem