LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Xxr 962s

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 06:41 PM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Douche bags own all car makes. Enjoy you car. Modify as you like and make no apologies to anyone.
My only suggestion is to keep the actual car value to investment ratio in check. $2500 wheels on a $1500 car is not too smart right now.
Old 09-22-11, 06:51 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, unfortunately people are like that in all the scenes. Don't mind them, hell, I've been trying to sell my LS for $3,500 for the last 2 months, and nothing, so I can't see putting rims+tires that cost that much onto it. If you had a brand new LS600H, yeah sure, go all out, lol, some people just aren't realistic.
Old 09-22-11, 06:57 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good. nothing wrong with cheap knock off wheels. if you got the money for high end wheels, good for you. if not,do with what you got. dont do it to be socially accepted. its your car, not theirs.
Old 09-22-11, 09:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by filthyLS4
Wow alot of negative stuff on these rims, but I bought them anyways, because I hated the ones that came with my car and I needed new tires, so I pick up the sportmaxxs for 200 bucks with tires.stretched and staggered I will post pics, I understand they are heavy but im not trying to track my ls or any thing ridiculous like that. I understand that the rims are ” fake” or whatever but I really don't feel like spending 3k on rims and tires when I can get the same look for cheaper..I got bigger things that I need to spend my money on....im starting to think all lexus guys are like honda douche bags, like today I pulled up to this gs and ask him where he bought his jp curtains for and how much?, his answer was dont worry about it u can't afford them, amd drove off, I thought modifying your car was about making it the way u want and not following the hype... All I asked for was pics thanks to those that werent hating on the rims, but for the ones thanks were Thanks! Because u convinced me to buy them to be different....thats just my opinion...maybe im just having a bad day lol
wow that's pretty douchey....

feel free to buy whatever you like, your car and your money.
just don't get mad when someone posts their opinion on them.

going rate for JP curtains is ~$80-130 btw.
Old 09-22-11, 10:09 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yotarip

ah yes, my previous post still stands.

one of the best replies out there.

and the car still looks good.

going to do a victory dance!
Old 09-23-11, 01:09 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if u truly loved the LS then u would spend the time and money on it. but since most of you guys arent willing to then its obvious by the way your bashing owners who dump thousands into their cars.
Old 09-23-11, 02:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys let's keep this thread polite and constructive please
Old 09-23-11, 03:45 AM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tenchu
Glad to see someone finally post an answer instead of just badgering, way to go Yotarip. I personally can see why someone wouldn't want to spend $3000+ on a set of "nice" wheels on a car that isn't worth half that.
A lot of us posted answers which were mostly along the lines of "No, don't get them."
Old 09-23-11, 05:57 AM
Cope
Rookie

Wow alot of negative stuff on these rims, but I bought them anyways, because I hated the ones that came with my car and I needed new tires, so I pick up the sportmaxxs for 200 bucks with tires.stretched and staggered I will post pics, I understand they are heavy but im not trying to track my ls or any thing ridiculous like that. I understand that the rims are ” fake” or whatever but I really don't feel like spending 3k on rims and tires when I can get the same look for cheaper..I got bigger things that I need to spend my money on....im starting to think all lexus guys are like honda douche bags, like today I pulled up to this gs and ask him where he bought his jp curtains for and how much?, his answer was dont worry about it u can't afford them, amd drove off, I thought modifying your car was about making it the way u want and not following the hype... All I asked for was pics thanks to those that werent hating on the rims, but for the ones thanks were Thanks! Because u convinced me to buy them to be different....thats just my opinion...maybe im just having a bad day lol
Good decision filthyLS4. The only opinion important is yours. I am also a newbe. I posted pictures of my 98 when I put new 18's on it. I also got blasted on my choice of wheels I think by the same members as you. I bought what I thought looked the best for me with the amount of money I had to spend. I am a bit suprised with some of the negative comments I see on this forum. The important thing is members of this club are saving and restoring these great cars. You can get a wealth of knowledge from the members here. I am a rookie owner that loves this generation of Lexus. I have learned so much about the LS in a short amount of time here. One last thing about our wheels. Each generation of owners have different taste. Just like each generation of the LS. I am in my 60's. My taste is not the same as owners that are in 30's/40's/ ect. When someone spends money to improve one of these cars & post the results they are proud & should not be shot out of the sky. Good job on your LS and keep saving them from the junk yard.
Old 09-23-11, 06:16 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
if u truly loved the LS then u would spend the time and money on it. but since most of you guys arent willing to then its obvious by the way your bashing owners who dump thousands into their cars.
My issue with this statement is that we are talking about wheels. The money spent on wheels for a LS doesn't reflect how the owner feels about his car. The LS that's rolling on "Low priced wheels" could have thousands invested that has kept it running in top condition.

I only paid $400 for my wheels.

I love my LS just as much anyone else here. I just choose to keep money spent on wheels in check. I am a member of many automotive forums and have seen countless "builds" where guys drop thousands and thousands into the car. A few months later the car is in a for sale thread. After weeks of compliments and "wish I had the money" posts, the car is parted out. I dont see the love there.
Old 09-23-11, 06:29 AM
Cope
Rookie

It is not just wheels. This was just an example and how this threated got statred. It can be anything. Exhaust,paint, tires what ever. It is not how much you spend. The thing that matters is the cars are being saved. That is all.
Old 09-23-11, 07:37 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Personally I think you should just get thicker skin. It's a forum, what do you expect. If you posted a similar thread in some other forums I'm on you may have gotten death threats.

I'm actually impressed with everyones restraint after you got your panties in a wad.

btw: I would roll those rims at the right price. Be sure to post up specs, and pics in the wheel thread.
Old 09-23-11, 09:08 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Has anyone ever put 962s on there ls400? If u got any pics with them I'd luv to see them, thanks
Come on guys, he asked a simple question and this is starting to turn into a " well mine is better, and bigger, then yours" thing. He didn't even ask for opinions on what people think of them, he asked to see what they would look like, that's it. After the pics were produced everyone still kept going on and on with thier unwanted opinions.Ya know, some people don't have thousands of dollars to waste on wheels just b/c they are a certain brand name. Wheels are just that, wheels. Don't go buying wheels just to "fit in" to a certain crowd. I mean, they're on your car and if you like them then you are happy, that's all that really matters.
filthyLS4; I think you got a great deal on them and if ya happen to be on a budget, now you have extra cash for some repair that you might need which is more important mechanically. Just my opinion, if you want it, I think they look pretty damn good on an LS400. It might be the gold and black combo, but when I first saw them my eyes widened. Nice purchase.
Old 09-23-11, 03:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cope
Good decision filthyLS4. The only opinion important is yours. I am also a newbe. I posted pictures of my 98 when I put new 18's on it. I also got blasted on my choice of wheels I think by the same members as you. I bought what I thought looked the best for me with the amount of money I had to spend. I am a bit suprised with some of the negative comments I see on this forum. The important thing is members of this club are saving and restoring these great cars. You can get a wealth of knowledge from the members here. I am a rookie owner that loves this generation of Lexus. I have learned so much about the LS in a short amount of time here. One last thing about our wheels. Each generation of owners have different taste. Just like each generation of the LS. I am in my 60's. My taste is not the same as owners that are in 30's/40's/ ect. When someone spends money to improve one of these cars & post the results they are proud & should not be shot out of the sky. Good job on your LS and keep saving them from the junk yard.
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
car looks clean but i'm definitely not a fan of those wheels.
please search for common problems, the clunking you're talking about is likely the strut rod bushings in the front suspension, not the shock itself.
I would hardly call that getting blasted . REALLY?

Originally Posted by Yotarip
My issue with this statement is that we are talking about wheels. The money spent on wheels for a LS doesn't reflect how the owner feels about his car. The LS that's rolling on "Low priced wheels" could have thousands invested that has kept it running in top condition.

I only paid $400 for my wheels.

I love my LS just as much anyone else here. I just choose to keep money spent on wheels in check. I am a member of many automotive forums and have seen countless "builds" where guys drop thousands and thousands into the car. A few months later the car is in a for sale thread. After weeks of compliments and "wish I had the money" posts, the car is parted out. I dont see the love there.
both of you need to step back and figure out what is being said here. it's not that cheap wheels=bad, it's that usually cheap wheels, XXR, rota, and similar, are of mostly crap quality. it's not how much you pay, it's the quality you get that matters.

yes, you could spend $2-3k+ on a set of exceedingly high quality wheels, or you could spend $800-1500 and still get a set of decent quality NAME BRAND wheels all day long. Used Work, Stitch, Algernon, crimson, or a host of other very high quality japanese made wheels can be had, or even a NEW set of good quality enkeis (iirc there's already RPF1s on an LS). hell AXIS makes some decent wheels that can look good on an LS when spec'd properly and they can be had on TIRERACK for way less than $1500! (like yotarip's car...)

this is a public forum gents. It is a heavily policed PUBLIC forum. you come, you post your car if you wish, and you are free to comment on others provided you do it respectably. that's a lot better than what you would hear on other forums or even at some of the meets i've been to (not CL). if all you want to hear are perfectly positive opinions, then this isn't the place to post a picture, now is it? (all this aside from the fact the OP didnt even post a picture of his car)
Old 09-23-11, 04:40 PM
ViLLaNLS
Driver School Candidate

buy whatever u want for your car... personally i think the xxr 526 are a better fit

Quick Reply: Xxr 962s