LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

anyone got close up a pic of a broken t-belt? I think mine has 131K

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 05:45 PM
RavenTai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone got close up a pic of a broken t-belt? I think mine has 131K

Picked up a 99 LS400 yesterday, 131K on the odo, car is in pristine condition, but has spotty service records, only documentation i have is the work that shows up in the carfax from the lexus maintenance system, no record or sticker showing t-belt service, popped off the timing cover today and I think I may still have the original 12 year old 131K mile timing belt, the belt has many small cracks that will eventually meet up and cause a break, , I put a ratchet on the crank and turned it over looking at the whole belt, its consistent over the whole belt, small cracks between every tooth,

I don't know if i have 20 miles or 20K miles left in the belt, but i do need to drive it at least another 200 miles to get it to my tools, anybody got a close up picture of a broken belt? how bad do these cracks get before they break? here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails anyone got close up a pic of a broken t-belt? I think mine has 131K-timingbeltjpg.jpg  
Old 09-08-11, 07:45 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

That T-Belt Needed Service Starting before you even put this Post up.. Change ASAP Or you will need a New Engine..
Old 09-08-11, 08:31 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

I concur !

its really just a matter of time. that belt is pretty bad. im suprised it hasnt gone already.

it is quite possible it will last for your 200 mi destination, but I am in no way telling you its will.

If you have a buddy with a truck and a trailer, that would be the ideal way to go.

if you choose to drive, and something happens, you now have yourself a pretty driveway ornament.

use your noggin, we want to hear about your new and your new car, not your new driveway ornament.

also, sometimes, but not really all the often, the belt's teeth just sheer right off......without the belt actully breaking.....then the timing jumps......and buh-bye motor. (--- that also goes for if the belt does break.

Last edited by emarknot; 09-08-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added
Old 09-09-11, 02:00 AM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

replace immediately...
Old 09-09-11, 08:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

head to your local lexus dealership with your current registration (in your name) and they can print out most service records for you. (more complete than carfax).

that belt is well used, but you should be able to drive it home to use your own tools, no need to do a TB/WP job in the field.
Old 09-09-11, 10:02 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not saying it will or will not make it but I wouldn't chance it another 20 miles even though it doesn't look like it's split all the way through and I don't see any cracks that are all the way across the belt, but I can't see the whole belt so I can't be for sure. Like emarknot said, if you know someone that can tow it that would be your best bet. It might even be in your best interest to rent a tow dolly (like Uhaul) and tow it yourself, if you have a tow hitch. It's alot cheaper spending $75-$100 and not taking a chance on wasting the engine in the car if it does break and then spending a couple grand. If you have AAA or something, have them tow it.
Old 09-09-11, 10:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

small cracks are pretty common, but there arent any deep cracks or shredding/defects that would make me want to tow it.
Old 09-09-11, 10:56 AM
Rey
Pole Position

My 95 had 160k on the original tbelt with cracks worse then that before I changed it so 200 miles is no biggie. Never take a used car salesmans advice is all I gotta say hah.
Old 09-09-11, 11:03 AM
RavenTai
Driver School Candidate

I do have a hitch and an LX450 that can tow it, I think I will go that route, that is only two starts one to drive it on another to drive it off, surely the chances of it breaking in that short time are extremely slim, much slimmer than driving,
Old 09-09-11, 11:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RavenTai
I do have a hitch and an LX450 that can tow it, I think I will go that route, that is only two starts one to drive it on another to drive it off, surely the chances of it breaking in that short time are extremely slim, much slimmer than driving,
Glad to hear that. Towing it takes no effort and you don't have to worry about it. You are "preventing" a possible catastrophy. That's why the T-belt gets changed as "preventive" maintanence. No catastrophy, smart choice.
Old 09-09-11, 11:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

make sure you put it up on a dolly, apparently the LS isn't meant to be 4 wheel towed, so get the rear wheels off the ground.
Old 09-09-11, 12:06 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen worse, timing belts that have been left so long they are half the width they should be and others where all the fibres have schredded out filling the timing covers with debris.
Of course you will be also replacing the tensioner and idlers plus the water pump?
Timing belts are also under the greatest stress when 1st starting the engine so 2 quick starts on and off the trailor.......just don't over rev the engine.
Old 09-09-11, 12:20 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard/seen worse that didn't let go and I've heard/seen better that looked like new and jumped a tooth and kaboom. I'd change any tbelt/pump/related on a used car with unknown service history and a interference engine.
Old 09-09-11, 07:57 PM
Jstoked
Driver School Candidate

Are the 1uz not a non interference motor?
Old 09-09-11, 08:26 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

95 and up are interference. I do believe VVTI=Interference.

Quick Reply: anyone got close up a pic of a broken t-belt? I think mine has 131K