LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New member introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 09:00 AM
Nojoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member introduction.

Finding the right project car has always been tricky operation for me. Personally, I try to disqualify a used vehicle purchase until I am completely out of reasons to not have it in my garage. When I go to sleep and wake up thinking about it, I know it’s time to move forward. And that’s exactly what happened regarding this particular vehicle.

In October of 2009 I found my 1998 Ls400 on Autotrader at a dealer here in St. Louis. It was a one owner, dealer maintained car since new and based on the photos, was in as good a shape as I could hope to find. Needless to say, I had to have it.

When I got to the dealership, the car had been detailed and was sitting along the road with glass paint on the windshield reading “ICE COLD A/C”, and the saddest bunch of half inflated helium balloons tied to the side mirrors, flapping around in the wind as if trying to escape the embarrassment of the situation. It reminded me of a shame not dissimilar to looking at a certain family member’s Christmas card festooned with glitter and a picture of a dog wearing a sweater and an elf hat. This blatant indignity simply had to stop.

So I spoke with the salesman, waited for the balloons to be removed and took it on a test drive. Aside from the Hancook tires, the car was immaculate. After a bit of negotiation, I purchased it, and drove the car immediately to the tire shop for a suitable set of tires and an alignment. Happiness ensued.
So a few years later my “project car” car is still stock, still immaculate, still a joy to drive and has caused me no pain. It’s truly an amazing vehicle with its best years ahead of it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself before I finally begin making it a bit more mine.
Old 08-29-11, 09:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, ya joined 2 years ago and this is your first post, holy ****. Have you been using the search feature alot? Good if ya have. Even though you've been a member for so long I'll still say "Welcome to CL". Having it for this long as "stock" you should keep it that way, get a different "project car". Just my .02.
Hah, Christmas, dog, sweater, elf hat. Why do people put thier animals through all that embarrassment?
Old 08-29-11, 09:57 AM
Nojoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I joined thinking I would need the collective minds here to sort out any ills the car may have had, but then it didn't have a single issue. Go figure.
Old 08-30-11, 01:45 PM
Cope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good see I am not the only Newbe. Sounds like we have the same car & project. My 98 also one owner with all service documented by Nalley&Hennessy Lexus in Atlanta. My goal is to put the LS back to as new a condition as possible taking in consideration the funds I have. I am a retired boomer and certifed car geek all my life. I wanted a car project as a hobby. The LS400 is the perfect car. V8 power, great style,fantastic ride. I have had the car 3 weeks. Had it checked out completely by a Lexus dealer. Just needed the hood struts replace. I started by bringing the paint back to life. 6 coats of wax/polish/& a paint conditioner. Added 18 inch wheels/tires,window tint, chrome pillar post, and new gold emblems. I have ordered magnaflow duals with stainless steel tips. Scheduled to be installed Friday.. Also working on seats to remove a few skuff marks and minor fading. That will be it for a few weeks as my funds are running low. Good luck with your project and keep us updated.....
Old 08-30-11, 04:29 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!

2 years, it's given you no troubles and you are still enjoying it...I hope that will be my experience too. I'm happy so far.

Mike