LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 1995 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 07:18 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 1995 problems

Hello everyone, how are you all doing? Hope everything is fine...

I have a set of problems with my 1995 Lexus LS 400 that has been really driving me insane, not to mention the current state of mental stress as I am in my last year in college.. So I was hoping I could find someone here who's knowledgeable about this type of Lexus ... these problems are as follows ...

1) shaking while at speed 65+mph and also after hitting the brakes (i.e. coming to a full stop after reaching a certain speed) the steering wheel also shakes/vibrates during that process, there's also shaking while at Parking gear position after 2 minutes or so at P which I thought to be super weird ( the car is completely stopped at P).

2) Steering wheel is hard to turn " stiff " makes noise when turning... this is recent like a month ago but it's just annoying because it was really smooth like the real deal but right now it's just annoying... changed the steering wheel oil yielded no results .. what could be the issue?

3) this is actually the most devastating one because I never been able to find out what is causing it .. it's also difficult to explain (English is not my 1st language BTW lol) .. but I will try my best ... ok so when I drive up a hill and hit the acceleration paddle the car moves like normal nothing strange happens but when I take my foot off the paddle (half way through not completely to slow down ) it just goes insane it literally feels like the engine is about to explode the whole car goes into repetitive cycle of jerking til I completely take my foot off ... usually lasts about a second or so .. but sometimes more than a second or so ... HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE ???

I will be waiting for some expertise ,,,,

I should mind you that there are no Lexus dealers here and so please if you are going to provide parts names be gentle with the technical stuff as most of the workshops here dont know how to deal with Lexus ...

Last edited by mz400; 08-27-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-27-11, 07:30 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

The third case is not exclusively to tilted streets, it can happen elsewhere but is usually predominant in angled/tilted streets...
Old 08-27-11, 08:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

1) Most common problem for front end shaking would be suspension bushings going bad, especially the strut bar bushing. (Felt alot more when braking) Or possibly your brake rotors are slightly warped. The shaking while stopped has nothing to do with this, that goes with number 3.

2) Could be the screen in the steering solenoid is clogged and needs to be changed. Also maybe the wrong fluid for the pump. What kind of fluid did you change it with? The "noise" would indicate low, or no, fluid. Are you sure it's not leaking out? Check that b/c it would be leaking on top of the alternator which will cause even more problems.

3) It's either fuel/air or ignition problem. There's alot of sensors that work together to give the computor the right info, such as the TPS, MAF. If you bring it to ANY good mechanic (doesn't have to be Lexus) they should know what to check. One of the coils could be going bad and not sending out spark. (drivers side is a common issue)

If you can't check everything yourself you should get it all checked out as soon as you can. Brake and suspension problems are serious and dangerous. How many miles on the car? When, if at all, was the timing belt changed last?
Old 08-27-11, 08:53 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
1) Most common problem for front end shaking would be suspension bushings going bad, especially the strut bar bushing. (Felt alot more when braking) Or possibly your brake rotors are slightly warped. The shaking while stopped has nothing to do with this, that goes with number 3.

2) Could be the screen in the steering solenoid is clogged and needs to be changed. Also maybe the wrong fluid for the pump. What kind of fluid did you change it with? The "noise" would indicate low, or no, fluid. Are you sure it's not leaking out? Check that b/c it would be leaking on top of the alternator which will cause even more problems.

3) It's either fuel/air or ignition problem. There's alot of sensors that work together to give the computor the right info, such as the TPS, MAF. If you bring it to ANY good mechanic (doesn't have to be Lexus) they should know what to check. One of the coils could be going bad and not sending out spark. (drivers side is a common issue)

If you can't check everything yourself you should get it all checked out as soon as you can. Brake and suspension problems are serious and dangerous. How many miles on the car? When, if at all, was the timing belt changed last?
113000 miles, belt changed at around 95000...
How would you know if the fluid is leaking on top of the alternator? Explain it in a simple way if possible..
Old 08-27-11, 09:00 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

You mean that the whole jerking thing is caused by the ignition coil? I thought it had something to do with the fuel pump ?
Old 08-27-11, 09:30 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mz400
113000 miles, belt changed at around 95000...
How would you know if the fluid is leaking on top of the alternator? Explain it in a simple way if possible..
Power Steering pump leaks is very common. The alternator is positioned right below the power steering pump. Fluid dripping into the alternator will cause it to fail prematurely.............and it has happened to most of these cars
Old 08-27-11, 10:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mz400
You mean that the whole jerking thing is caused by the ignition coil? I thought it had something to do with the fuel pump ?
Yes it could also be the fuel pump starting to fail. But if the coil fails it makes the engine skip which will make the car shake. Power steering fluid leaks on alternator like StevieA said, exactly. This shows all the problems with the steering; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-bible.html Try to use the search feature for the other problems, you'll find alot of answers. Many members have had the same shake and it somtimes turns out to be the drivers side coil. Have it checked. Do you do any of your own work or do you bring it to a mechanic?
Old 08-28-11, 03:45 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Yes it could also be the fuel pump starting to fail. But if the coil fails it makes the engine skip which will make the car shake. Power steering fluid leaks on alternator like StevieA said, exactly. This shows all the problems with the steering; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-bible.html Try to use the search feature for the other problems, you'll find alot of answers. Many members have had the same shake and it somtimes turns out to be the drivers side coil. Have it checked. Do you do any of your own work or do you bring it to a mechanic?
mmm... I go to a mechanic .... but thanks for your help ..
Old 08-28-11, 03:46 AM
mz400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StevieA
Power Steering pump leaks is very common. The alternator is positioned right below the power steering pump. Fluid dripping into the alternator will cause it to fail prematurely.............and it has happened to most of these cars
Thank you
Old 08-28-11, 08:05 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have him also take a look at your engine mounts and transmission mount.
Old 08-28-11, 11:27 AM
Rey
Pole Position

1. Get your wheels balanced on a hunter roadforce and get your front rotors resurfaced and report back. Your motor/trans mounts are more then likely bad. The trans mount more so then the motor mounts. Strut rod bushings are usually first to go bad on the front of these cars as well.

2. Check the fluid level in the power steering pump resevoir. Fill with the appropriate fluid, not PS fluid.

3. That is more then likely the infamous ecu problem exclusive to 95 LS. I have a 95 and I had the same exact problem. Replacing the ecu with a revised version fully removed the problem. You need an ecu with p/n 89661-50234 unless you already have that which I doubt because the symptoms are the same. I got lucky on ebay and got one 80. Car-part.com is also a good place to find used oem parts.
Old 08-28-11, 07:52 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Def agree to get rotors resurfaced and make sure lug nuts not over-torqued.

Also check PS fluid to make sure it is not low as nose is common (whine) when low.