LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Possible Engine Flood

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 07:24 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Engine Flood

Good evening,

Last night I was waiting in line to get some food from tacho bell when "pop" my upper radiator hose had popped off (peice that the upper hose connects to the radiator was broken). So I popped it back on to get me down the road which it did until the car begain to over heat and then had cut off. My dad towed the car with his truck so I could get home. The next day I grabbed a radiator from the junk yard which was in very decent condition compared to my broken OEM radiator. Afterwards I notice that my oil was gone so I top off the oil and radiator fluids. Afterwards I went to start the car but the car did not start until 30 mins of trying. Once the car had started I notice that the car was sputtering and was not driveable sense it kept cutting off. Well to get to the point I check the spark plugs and notice antifreeze fluid in them so I decided to replaced the plugs. My question, how do I get rid of the fluid in the engine? Do I let the car sit for a while or should I continue to start up the car and let it idel until the clinders are all dry. I hope that make sense.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-11, 10:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Doesn't sound good: overheated, lost oil, antifreeze in the combustion chamber. At this point, I would suggest you to begin car shopping.

How much do you like this car? How many miles on it?
Old 08-26-11, 09:05 AM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

I love this car and am very sad that this had happened. This car represents my grind from struggling to making it where I currently and progressing thus further more down the line. I love this car, we have a love/hate relationship lol. I just wish there was something I could do. Do you think if I change the oil it will stop the sputtering?

I am able to drive the car a round but the sputter continues. I was able to change the driver side spark plug's and notice that all of them were dry but burnt out. Afterwards I turned the car on and if fires right up but still sputters but it does seem like it want to stop sputtering. I will also try changing the passenger side spark plugs to see if that helps too but I need to lift my engine because my mount on the side is blown so it shift the engine to the right. The only way to remove the intake is to lift, that side of the engine.

I hope this or something else will help because I love this car and do not want to get rid of it. The last time I checked I did see fluid sitting under the intake manifold but it does not seem like the fluid went in threw the spark plugs because they were dry. Maybe under the manifold is a way it could have gotten to the chamber as you mentioned.

PS: That night I had just got finished installing these rims I receieved as a present and to top it off this Sunday is my birthday... What a week this has been
Attached Thumbnails Possible Engine Flood-img_1377.jpg  
Old 08-26-11, 11:34 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

It sounds like you have a blown head gasket to me, or a leaky intake gasket. You could probabably get it fixed if you know a mechanic that won't rape you. There are some diagnostics you can do such as a compression test and inspecting the fluids for things that don't belong such as gas in the coolant, coolant in the oil, ect.
Old 08-26-11, 12:17 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by McPierson
It sounds like you have a blown head gasket to me, or a leaky intake gasket. You could probabably get it fixed if you know a mechanic that won't rape you. There are some diagnostics you can do such as a compression test and inspecting the fluids for things that don't belong such as gas in the coolant, coolant in the oil, ect.
I checked my fluids and nothing seems to be strange. What else should I check? Also is there a way I can use the main diagnostic terminals and count the CEL flashes by creating a jumper cable and if so how? I am also going to try changing out my driver side coil although that may not help but at-least I can feel a little better to know I tried something.

Last edited by BrittonJ85; 08-26-11 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added new question
Old 08-26-11, 12:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You say you "love" this car? If so, you should have taken better care of it. A blown motor mount, enough to shift the engine, and you didn't change it yet? All that's doinig is ruining more parts. To name a few, driveshaft, support bearing for driveshaft, other motor and tranny mounts, transmission. That's probably what weakened the hose inlet on the radiator which broke, b/c of all the pulling every time you give it gas and the engine moves. You also mentioned no oil after the coolant hose blew off. The two have no relation to each other, if you had no oil afterwards that means you had no oil before it happened.
I think you blew a head gasket, b/c after ALL the coolant spit out through the broken radiator, and you had NO oil in it, you still drove it until the car died. (you should have parked it when the hose blew and fixed that the next day) If you overheated it enough to die then you did some serious damage. My opinion is if you "love" this car then you're gonna need a new engine, if you don't love it you should shop for a different car. Although, I'm not there and can't diagnose it 100% so you should bring it in somewhere and have a professional look at it to tell you what kind of damage you did to it. Happy Birthday dude.
Old 08-26-11, 01:08 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
You say you "love" this car? If so, you should have taken better care of it. A blown motor mount, enough to shift the engine, and you didn't change it yet? All that's doinig is ruining more parts. To name a few, driveshaft, support bearing for driveshaft, other motor and tranny mounts, transmission. That's probably what weakened the hose inlet on the radiator which broke, b/c of all the pulling every time you give it gas and the engine moves. You also mentioned no oil after the coolant hose blew off. The two have no relation to each other, if you had no oil afterwards that means you had no oil before it happened.
I think you blew a head gasket, b/c after ALL the coolant spit out through the broken radiator, and you had NO oil in it, you still drove it until the car died. (you should have parked it when the hose blew and fixed that the next day) If you overheated it enough to die then you did some serious damage. My opinion is if you "love" this car then you're gonna need a new engine, if you don't love it you should shop for a different car. Although, I'm not there and can't diagnose it 100% so you should bring it in somewhere and have a professional look at it to tell you what kind of damage you did to it. Happy Birthday dude.
Yeah I love this car. I saved it from the previous person who did not take care of the car at all including changing the fluids. When I got it 2 yrs ago the car did not start/run. Everything was a complete mess but I got it back on the road. I was not going to drive it as a daily until my wife crashed my daily driver and sense then things have not been good financially but after college things will get better. So for the time being I drove this car and then bought a SC400 for my wife which that too did not run but I got it running well so I have not had much time for my car.

Status Update: The car is running but sputters. I placed my hand over the exhaust tip and can hear that there is some sort of miss fire. I will replace the coils as well as disconnect/reconnect some relays just if fluid got in among the connectors. Also I've attached some pictures of the radiator which had broken due to poor age and old spark plugs that were on the driver side. Other spark plugs where the one that I had installed last night.
Attached Thumbnails Possible Engine Flood-img_1390.jpg   Possible Engine Flood-img_1385.jpg   Possible Engine Flood-img_1391.jpg   Possible Engine Flood-img_1392.jpg  
Old 08-26-11, 01:11 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't just throw money at it. Find out which cylinder is misfiring before you replace all the coils. Do a compression test on that cylinder (the setup can be rented at AZ) and compare it to a know good cylinder. There should be little to know difference in the pressures (I think you want it less than 10% or there is a serious problem).

btw: nice job on the rtv
Old 08-26-11, 01:30 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by McPierson
Don't just throw money at it. Find out which cylinder is misfiring before you replace all the coils. Do a compression test on that cylinder (the setup can be rented at AZ) and compare it to a know good cylinder. There should be little to know difference in the pressures (I think you want it less than 10% or there is a serious problem).

btw: nice job on the rtv
I will try the compression test 1st and then work my way from there. But lol yeah I needed a patch to get me home and that's all I had in the trunk but it did serve it's job.
Old 08-26-11, 07:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

How many miles on the car?

Any number of issues could be causing the problem. If it is throwing codes, have them read and go from there.
Old 09-02-11, 05:56 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
How many miles on the car?

Any number of issues could be causing the problem. If it is throwing codes, have them read and go from there.
I was able to get the car back on the road. It drives but I still need to change the rest of my spark plugs and it will be good. So far, no bad head gasket or any other leaks. Car runs good thus far. This car never fails after you give it some TLC.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Possible Engine Flood-img_1447.jpg   Possible Engine Flood-img_1448.jpg  
Old 09-03-11, 08:20 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Good to hear it doesn't have a bad head gasket and it's running good. You got lucky, this time. You say; This car never fails after you give it some TLC. Keep up with the TLC and it should last you a good amount of time. You should really get that motor mount changed ASAP before some more damage occurs. I had a 72 Impala that had a blown mount and every time I took off from a stop the hood would jump up an inch from the engine hitting it. It also bent the frame b/c it would land so hard. Get it fixed soon.