LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shopping for an LS400.. Anything to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 04:52 PM
hiphopdj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an LS400.. Anything to look for?

Money is not a huge obstacle but I'm just wondering is it really worth it to spend more on a newer LS400 than an older one? I see ones with very similar mileage (within 10k) and the 98 is about $4000 more than a 94. I can't imagine I'll really spend that much more on repairs if I buy the old one. Is it worth it to spend money on the newer one?

Anything I should look for when checking out the different ones?

Also where else besides craigslist do you suggest finding one? I really want a black exterior with black interior but it's hard to find, so black interior would be good enough. I might be able to live with another color interior but I'm not sure.
Old 08-17-11, 05:10 PM
LS4Lalonde
Driver School Candidate

90-94 is first generation. GREAT cars, may have lots of maintence. 95-97 is more desirable (to me) and 98-01 or 00 usually require minimum maintence but will cost a lot more if under 115,000K.
Old 08-17-11, 05:46 PM
hiphopdj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Yeah the newer generations are much more expensive, and I can't find any with lower mileage than the older ones for some reason. The newer ones actually have more mileage from what I've been looking at. Do you think the extra price is worth it? The model/generation upgrades don't matter too much to me, at least not now, just having a Lexus will make me happy. I don't see how it would be possible to spend the extra few thousand on repairs, since I'll probably have to spend on repairs anyway.
Old 08-17-11, 05:50 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

I think it depends on the condition of the car more than the model year. If you like the 90-94 and can find a clean well maintained example, then I'd buy it. If clean 90-94's are hard to come by, then look at newer LS400's.

When I was in the market I was considering '90-97 LS's. I was about to purchase a really nice '94 but, it sold before I got a chance to see it in person. Then I found a super clean and low mileage '96 and bought it. No regrets.

Mike
Old 08-17-11, 06:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The LS400 is a really nice car, but it will break the bank if anything breaks on it. Odds are you may be replacing a timing belt in the near future, or water pump. Power steering pumps are known to die. The electrical system can have some gremlins, the air suspension is crap if you get it, and the trac system will be problematic. Other than those things, the car is pretty decent.
Old 08-17-11, 06:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

" I don't see how it would be possible to spend the extra few thousand on repairs"

Wow, wait till ya own one, you'll see real quick how fast you can spend a few grand in repairs. Parts alone are outrageous, and if you don't do the repairs yourself, the dealer will wack the hell out of you. If you just want a Lexus then I would suggest getting an older model, 93-94. Remember 95 and up are interference motors so if the timing belt snaps, or jumps, you're gonna need a new engine all together. That's why I got my 93, and it's a damn good thing b/c mine jumped. The newer models have alot better features and much more safe. Do alot of research on all models and don't just buy the first one you see. Find out all the common problems each generation has and when you look at one see what has been fixed already. Mileage doesn't really matter as long as it's been maintained properly and on time. Service records help alot to tell how it's been taken care of. Good luck on the purchase.
Old 08-17-11, 06:32 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it's worth it to get a 98-00 due to the additional technology. I also think they look alittle more modern, and I bought one. I've heard the 1st gen is built like a tank though so I doubt you'll go wrong.
Old 08-17-11, 07:19 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pull the drivers side spark cover, check the condition of the t-belt, get the front wheels off the ground if you can, and check for bad ball joints (uppers will cost you a GRIP), look for EGR leak, cluster flicker when the brakes are applies (with the head lights turned on and the dimmer to medium)
Old 08-18-11, 11:13 AM
hiphopdj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm thinking of spending the extra money on the newer ones, just cuz newer is always better. deanshark, I'm sure I am heavily underestimating the price of maintenance, but I'm thinking that I would spend a large amount whether I get a newer one or older one. So lower mileage would be more important than a newer model. But I know nothing about cars honestly, so I would gladly be enlightened.
Old 08-18-11, 01:11 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hiphopdj
Thanks everyone. Yeah I'm thinking of spending the extra money on the newer ones, just cuz newer is always better. deanshark, I'm sure I am heavily underestimating the price of maintenance, but I'm thinking that I would spend a large amount whether I get a newer one or older one. So lower mileage would be more important than a newer model. But I know nothing about cars honestly, so I would gladly be enlightened.
Newer is not always better when considering the purchase of a used car. You need to do your best to find an LS, of any year, that has been well maintained and cared for.

Maintainance and repairs can be expensive on any car, so do your best to find a good car that will not require immediate and costly repairs...

Mike
Old 08-18-11, 02:28 PM
BradFL
Rookie

My question is are you savvy with car repairs or do you take it to the shop to have fixed?
Old 08-18-11, 07:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The newer is better thought is incorrect. True, some products get better from year to year, but it is also completely normal behaviour in Detroit and Tokyo to take something that worked really great and replace it with something really crappy the next year......
Old 08-18-11, 11:43 PM
hiphopdj
Driver School Candidate

BradFL, no I know nothing about cars. Gonna rely on a bunch of different friends to help me learn and help with repairs. I think they are smart enough to tell me when I will need professional help instead of just a garage mechanic.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The newer is better thought is incorrect. True, some products get better from year to year, but it is also completely normal behaviour in Detroit and Tokyo to take something that worked really great and replace it with something really crappy the next year......
You're right, I should not have said "always better." I just thought with the LS400 especially it seems like they made steady improvements to the luxury aspect (which is not so important to me, but would be nice) while keeping the reliability.

I am leaning towards a $4000 94 because it seems like the owner has taken good car of it, has carfax already posted and everything. There is a $3000 90 that looks good tho since it already has a stereo with ipod hookup (since I'm gonna buy that anyway) and my favorite: black interior. They both have around the same miles. I want to be patient since I know it's the smart thing to get the best deal, especially since I really want a black interior, but I really need a car to get to and from school on time because I work fulltime. School just started this week and I can't keep borrowing my parents car or rides. Not to mention I need to drive to work, the bus would take 1 hour but car takes 15min. That's just from home, imagine going to school.

Oh yeah where else to look for cars besides craigslist? I rather not go with a dealer. I'm hoping there's a listing for people who are serious about cars and have taken good care of them.

Last edited by hiphopdj; 08-18-11 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 12:09 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

These are good cars from '90-00 and each generation will bring something new and possibly problematic due to the technology. Any car needs good regular maintenance and that will cost you $. The older the car, the more maintenance it will need relative to mileage.

Safety is a high concern for most and the 98-00 offer the updated standards of the time. The 95-97 fall midway. The engine has a bit more performance, they stretched the rear legroom and it also is bit better on the gas mileage. The 90-94 are classics and have their merits as well. If you have a budget to work within it will dictate which years are available.

Me, I would pick a 98+ but if you have more $$, the 430 are good choices. Read the forum, for an idea what types of repairs you can be in for.
Old 08-19-11, 12:20 AM
hiphopdj
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to thank everyone for all the knowledge. RA40, I only have about $5000-6000 to spend on it, after paying off my debt and buying some business purchases, so it's just shy of a decent 98. I need to save some money for repairs and just to have some savings. I'm only 20. Bigger rear legroom sure sounds nice though, I was surprised how small the legroom is on the older ones when I saw pics, cuz the room in the back was the only reason I'm getting a LS400 over a SC400. I'm young still hanging out with a lot of people, no girlfriend so I'm often with more than one person. Plus the coupe probably gets pulled over more and has higher insurance. And of course gas mileage on the newer ones would be a plus with these ridiculous gas prices.

Quick Reply: Shopping for an LS400.. Anything to look for?