LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I save this LS 400 from the salvage yard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 02:51 PM
4everyoung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I save this LS 400 from the salvage yard?

A friend of mine is planning to sell his 1994 LS 400 to a local junkyard next week and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing by trying to save it.

The car was being driven on a daily basis until a few weeks ago when the computer died. When my friend told me he was planning to sell the car to a junkyard for $500 because he couldn't afford to replace the computer, I immediately said I would pay him $500 for it. The body is solid, interior is still good and there are only a few other problems with the car like a leaky water pump and rotors need to be turned on the back brakes. Just seems a shame to scrap the car unless the computer is a bigger deal (more expensive) than what I think.

I know a new computer is expensive so I'm thinking a used computer or rebuilding the original one. I'm looking for some advice on what I could be in for trying to get this car running again. I do have mechanic friends to install the replacement computer so would not have to bring the car to a Lexus dealer, which I couldn't afford. I'm hoping the computer can be replaced for about a grand or less. Am I crazy?

I'm new here and not a mechanic, so please be gentle. LOL Any advice appreciated. If it matters, the car has at least 150,000 on the odometer.

Sue
Old 08-17-11, 03:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome.

Project cars are fun if you have the spare $ and time to get them going. If you really love this car it is a consideration. Consider also what potential expenses you will have with this one and see what else is out there that is already running. The mileage on this one is pretty good and if the rest is fine, $500 isn't a bad price but the undetermined repairs may just add up.

There are a few past threads on ECU costs/replacements. I don't recollect what they are off hand.
Old 08-17-11, 03:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Welcome to CL. If it actually needs a computor you can get a used one from the junkyard for anywhere from $150 - $500. http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi Or there are places that rebuild them for less then that but most of the time they don't do much with them to warrant a $400 repair bill. A new one from the dealer is at least $1200. (I would get used) The computor is up under the lower dash panel on the passenger side, 5 or 6 bolts, 10 minutes to change it. If it needs a water pump that would be the whole timing belt/water pump job. The dealer charges about $1500+ for that but you can get the parts online for about $300-400 and have an independant service station install it for about another $400-500. Or you can get your freinds to do it cheaper if you trust them to do it. This is how; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html The mileage isn't bad at all for an LS400 so the price of $500 isn't bad but the repair costs add up quick, unless you do your own work. Search this forum for the common issues and normal repair cost to see if it's worth it for you. The first thread at the top of the page has most the issues.
Old 08-17-11, 05:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

$500 isn't bad, plus it has low miles (for a Toyota).

For the computer your looking at about $300.
Old 08-17-11, 05:21 PM
LS4Lalonde
Driver School Candidate

I had the same prob @ 130K in my '94. I paid a little over $1,000 for labor & parts (everything) for new ECU and throttle position sensor. It litterally ressurected my car from the dead.
Old 08-17-11, 06:50 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my 1993 for $1300 had approx 247k on the odo with a bad ECU. ~$80 later I was in business (I bought 2 ecus from the local pick and pull type junkyard, just in case)

ok I lied. I also spent $80 on a new battery. That's all it took to get it back on the road. I've done a lot of the deferred maintenance too but to just get it running and driving, a battery and a junkyard ecu did the trick. I will say that 93 and 94 models are less common in the junkyards, at least in my area, but not completely needle in a haystack. I was able to find 2, I think my friend has picked up 2-3 himself, so a total of 4-5 found in the last 4 months.

So you're not mechanically inclined... a few weekends of junkyard trawling will get you up to speed and you get to practice on cars that are not yours. Win win. Especially since prices of the LS400s seem to have gone up $1000 more than they were when I bought mine.
Old 08-17-11, 09:44 PM
4everyoung
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for the help. While I can't say I'm in love with this car (yet) it sure seems like a lot more car than anything else I can afford right now. First thing is to get the car on the road and worry about the other issues later.

Time to go ECU shopping, then find some nice wheels and get out the buffer. HA! Better figure out how to get the car home and pay for it first. The wheels can wait until Spring.

Thanks again. Seems like a real nice place you have here.
Sue
Old 08-17-11, 11:16 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4everyoung
Thanks to all for the help. While I can't say I'm in love with this car (yet) it sure seems like a lot more car than anything else I can afford right now. First thing is to get the car on the road and worry about the other issues later.

you will be once its on the road. nothing else really compares.
Old 08-18-11, 12:52 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one that got total, I like it so much I brought another one with a problem Im trying to fix. I would keep it!
Old 08-18-11, 09:45 PM
genetic
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hells yess
Old 08-18-11, 10:18 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

either way you look at it, $500 for a ls4 is a heck of deal, especially if all it needs is a computer. at any price to replace the computer is far cheaper than buying most any fairly decent running car of the equivalance.

you can get an older, near perfect mercedes benz s600 for 5grand....mint.
this car back in the day was about a $130,000 car, and its still nothing like the ls 400. the s600 is an all time dream car of mine. my 91 ls4 when new....according to the title, was $38 grand.

so, if you got a ...hypothetically.....38 thousand dollar car for 500 bucks, spend 2000 bucks to get it into awesome shape and its still better than a $130,000 car at a paying price of $5,000....its all win.

for everything the ls400 is, in stock,perfect form....there is nothing to match it.
Old 08-19-11, 12:21 PM
4everyoung
Driver School Candidate

You guys talked me into it. I found an ECU for $150 and am keeping my fingers crossed it works. Should have the ECU next week. If I luck out and get this beast running for $150 I'll be a happy camper. I also have a timing belt and am lookng for a water pump. Mechanic friends sure come in handy when you don't have deep pockes.

I'm not too crazy about the color of this car but will learn to love it :-) Exterior looks like gray to me but am told it is sandalwood rose??? Interior is either beige or light brown. I am trying to get a picture but it will be at my friend's house until the ECU comes .
Old 08-19-11, 01:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Good price on the ECU, hope it all works out for ya. When changing the timing belt and water pump there are a few more parts that need to be changed at the same time. You can check rockauto.com for other parts. They have a "Gates" timing belt kit which includes the belt, tensioner, 2 idler pulleys, and water pump for $185. But while your in there doing all this work it is highly recommended to replace the crank and cam seals, it's only another 15 minutes labor. Replace them!! I didn't do mine and 14K miles later I was back in there again b/c they ended up leaking and causing more damage. (In December 20* and 4 feet of snow.) This is where it's good, for you, to have mechanic friends. Time for the T-belt job for a regular backyard mechanic is about 10-12 hours. Follow the steps in the link I posted up top and you'll be golden. But first, get the ECU in there and make sure everything is OK.
Old 08-20-11, 02:52 AM
ccorogers
Driver School Candidate

SAVE THAT LEXUS. i just put a new ECM (computer) in my 96 a month ago i got from a salvage yard in ST Louis for 100 bucks, it works perfectly fine. do your homework and you will find a computer cheap. that is a steal for 500 bucks, take your time and your friend will be wanting his car back. plus the miles for it are very good. also changing the computers are not hard at all. GOOD LUCK welcome to LS400.
Old 08-20-11, 10:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ccorogers
SAVE THAT LEXUS. i just put a new ECM (computer) in my 96 a month ago i got from a salvage yard in ST Louis for 100 bucks, it works perfectly fine. do your homework and you will find a computer cheap. that is a steal for 500 bucks, take your time and your friend will be wanting his car back. plus the miles for it are very good. also changing the computers are not hard at all. GOOD LUCK welcome to LS400.
No offense but, it makes me laugh when people don't read the whole story. If ya did you would have seen it's been saved and the ECU has already been bought and on it's way.

Quick Reply: Should I save this LS 400 from the salvage yard?