LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 11:09 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)

So today I hit up the salvage yards with my buddy as I needed some parts for the various cars in my life. So I see this black UCF10 LS400, earlier years like 90-92 at the first yard, first row of cars I walk down, looks like any other LS400. Bone stock except the gold emblem on the grill and the sidemarkers had been painted black (poorly) proceeded to take a minor trim piece off the front end and looking down into the engine bay I spy something out of the ordinary. The sway bar is red

I think I'm onto something. After fighting for quite some time to get it out, unbolting both shocks from the towers, both semi boxed in mounts, the arms etc etc -someone had dropped the cross member and some mounts trying to get lord knows what and the engine was tilted forward and made removal of the damn thing way more difficult than it should have been. I mean I worked up a sweat to the point of heatstroke/dehydration status, working without a breaker bar (doh! the one time I didn't bring it) just to get this thing off. I swear I have the crappiest luck working on LS400s, either that or I'm becoming less and less competent of a mechanic as I approach 30.

While working in front I glanced toward the rear to see if the rear bar was red, but it was black. Anyway, decided to look closer just in case, and sure enough it was red covered in grime and painted black in some areas (rust prevention?) just enough to disguise itself from afar. Came off much easier and I was off to the cashier. Waiting for my buddy to pull up I looked at my hard won prize closer and noticed the rear bar actually had some markings...

Eibach 22/91 HA 82 25 320 rear

At least that's what I think it says. I wiped it down when I got home and rubbed it off some

Googlefu and Clublexus search as well as Eibach's own website show nada.

Then again I am severely lacking in rest, have been out in the hot SoCal sun from about 10am until 530pm and probably haven't replenished all the fluids I lost fighting that damn car. Could be that none of this really happened at all.
Attached Thumbnails Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)-eibach1.jpg   Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)-eibach2.jpg  
Old 07-24-11, 11:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hmm, look for similar markings on the front bar. i've dealt with eibach directly for their ERS so i'll give 'em a call and see if they got anything, it's probably some random car that just happened to be bent in a workable way.
Old 07-25-11, 08:33 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Sweet, thanks. Didn't see any markings at all on the front bar.

I know they made springs but even those aren't on their website anymore. Maybe another discontinued part that was installed at the dealer as an upsell or something, I'd be interested to hear what Eibach says.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 07-25-11 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 01:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice find!
I can barely recollect, I thought long ago they did have some bars available but very low run. Wonder if the one you were working on had springs too?
Old 07-25-11, 01:23 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Springs looked like stock to me.
Old 07-25-11, 03:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Cool

Originally Posted by RA40
Nice find!
I can barely recollect, I thought long ago they did have some bars available but very low run. Wonder if the one you were working on had springs too?
Bingo!

got in touch with Eibach USA, guy had to look way way back and managed to confirm that part no. 8225.320 is a Front and Rear Sway Bar Set for the '89-94 Lexus LS400. It was made in an EXTREMELY limited run for a VERY short period of time, by Eibach in Germany (hence the HA Stamp). List price when new was $345/set.

DonCorleone: i'd say you got BEYOND lucky and should size yourself up some new polyurethane energy sway bar bushings (Eibach's bushings are discontinued, this is what they recco'd too! lol) and run these bad boys...

and maybe maybe talk to ADDCO USA to see if they'll copy these sways, Eibach says they'd need at least 50 ORDERS to consider making them again...
Old 07-25-11, 04:01 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Damn hot diggity! I'd agree to the beyond lucky part.

Def appreciate you digging that up for me.
Old 07-25-11, 05:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

hahah no problem, make sure to get the bushings from energy that have zerk fittings so you can grease them.

also go back and double check the springs for lettering, eibach pro-kit springs are black with white lettering.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-25-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 06:26 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wtf..always cali.
Old 07-25-11, 06:53 PM
blkvip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all we need is 48 more ppl

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
wtf..always cali.
Old 07-31-11, 11:21 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Welp, today's trip wasn't a complete waste. Didn't get everything I needed but these were still there.
Attached Thumbnails Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)-img_0380.jpg  
Old 08-01-11, 10:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Hahahha....
I figure someone who installs sways is going to do the whole deal.

Wonder what struts they put in now. Koni's were available long ago, otherwise, performance offerings were slim going to Tokicko blues...
Old 08-01-11, 11:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

score
Old 08-01-11, 12:53 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Shocks were black bodied, markings read TOYOTA.

Saw another LS with some 18" rims, had JWL and VIA markings, missing 2 centercaps but the remaining ones read "UNITS" ? One piece, chrome, 5 star double spoke pattern. Prob woulda picked them up but I already have SC430s.

Going back next week my friend needs parts for his Camry.

Idk if I wanna throw these on, I just installed brand new California Customs 2" springs on KYB GR2 less than 100 miles ago. TradersTrucks claims those were made by Eibach too.
Old 08-01-11, 08:57 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much for the springs then if they are eibach?

Quick Reply: Heat induced hallucination?(found a sway bar - eibach?)