LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trivial EGR Pipe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 07:36 AM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

No engine light yet - but it was only yesterday. I will wait a few days to let it decide. I would think you are more likely to get a code with it open to the elements, but we'll see.

You did this same fix? What did you do with the top section?
Old 07-18-11, 07:50 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the same fix a few weeks ago, even doing the same with cutting the lower half of the pipe to cover the gasket and the new metal sheet. The muffler shop charged me $12 for the job and I believe it is well worth of the cost.
My upper half pipe stays open for now. I am thinking to get an in-line airfilter or gas filter for it. Plug with a bolt will be the simple way to do it if there is no CEL on.
I also rebuilt my power steering pump after the timing belt work.

Last edited by dashan; 07-18-11 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 08:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

It's been a while since I've seen those FZ1s, they're really useful when you need them and nothing else will work, I love 'em. I've never used 2 of them together like that though, did it give you enough torque that way? I had a set until my X-wife threw all my stuff out. Blocking the pipe with the bolt shouldn't be a problem, some people take out the pipe and block it off with plates anyway. The only thing that would worry me about having the bolt in there would be it vibrating (b/c it's not connected on the other end) and the little weight of the bolt cracking the rest of the pipe. But that would be long term. I like how clear most of your pics are.
Old 07-18-11, 09:28 AM
Rudee023
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't there a 5th bolt to remove somewhere in the middle on the pipe or is that only on 90-94?
Old 07-18-11, 01:09 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Snap-on says you can use them with extensions as "infinitely long breaker bars!", though I didn't have to stress them that much to get the bolt off.

Rudee023 I could not see any clamp in the middle of the pipe, though I heard the same thing. Must be a different year as you say.
Old 07-18-11, 02:00 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Since you can get a nut into the lower end of the upper half EGR pipe, it is possible to fabricate a connector to connect a flex pipe to the upper half pipe, then connect the flex pipe to the plate of the lower half pipe you just cut off.
Old 07-18-11, 02:19 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, i would like to buy the new pipe you have. is it oem? But does anyone know if it fits my 91' or is it different?
Old 07-18-11, 07:26 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Dashan - that is a great idea and I never thought of it. The problem is in cutting off the last bit of the concertina section of the part up top. Would be quite a job getting a mini pipe cutter there.
Old 07-18-11, 08:17 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
Dashan - that is a great idea and I never thought of it. The problem is in cutting off the last bit of the concertina section of the part up top. Would be quite a job getting a mini pipe cutter there.
You can also put a bigger flex pipe on the outside of the upper half pipe, and then put a clamp on it.
This could be an effective fix for the infamous EGR problem in 95-97 LS, without removing the passenger side cat converter, and without getting out the upper two nuts (or bolts). Please let us know if you could do it.
Old 07-18-11, 08:42 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Wait a sec - I'm done with it!

But I think you definitely need to get that concertina section out. It would tear into anything you fit over it - it has a very sharp edge.

Is there a pipe cutter that can be used longitudinally? You can get a direct line to the bolt, so you can get the same line to a cutter if there is one.
Old 07-18-11, 08:54 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

I am also thinking of a hollow bolt. Screw the M16 hollow bolt into the pipe, then get the flex pipe to the hollow bolt.
http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Covert-Hid...1048748&sr=1-3

Last edited by dashan; 07-18-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 09:36 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Do you have a drill stand? You could drill out a bolt like my one in 10 minutes.
Old 07-23-11, 01:27 PM
fluxedup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something to consider. All carbon bearing fuels leave behind a soot which when comes into contact with moisture produces sulfuric acid. Do I want this crap in the intake and top end of my motor? Nope Another thing, I bet the egr is the reaSon the plenum and intake gets s full of crud, corrosive crud. Another point, when you are off idle vacuum drops way down, I'll bet every vacuum sensor and componant connected to the intake( all except o2 sensors) get exposed to corrosive crap from the egr. If the corrosive nature of these exhaust gases is doubted notice the exponentially increased amount of rust in your tail pipe, mufflers, cats , headers etc. Notice these rust from the inside out. Even salted roads dontkeep up with this rate of corrosion. So what is the egr system really, a good scam on an unsuspecting victim. The auto industry wins again, they have a nerve calling exhaust an inert gas.

Just my two cents worth, Well maybe four.
MLM

Last edited by fluxedup; 07-23-11 at 01:28 PM. Reason: twypos zuck
Old 07-23-11, 07:26 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Just wondering where the sulfur comes from when you burn a hydrocarbon in air?
Old 07-24-11, 01:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by fluxedup
something to consider. All carbon bearing fuels leave behind a soot which when comes into contact with moisture produces sulfuric acid. Do I want this crap in the intake and top end of my motor? Nope Another thing, I bet the egr is the reaSon the plenum and intake gets s full of crud, corrosive crud. Another point, when you are off idle vacuum drops way down, I'll bet every vacuum sensor and componant connected to the intake( all except o2 sensors) get exposed to corrosive crap from the egr. If the corrosive nature of these exhaust gases is doubted notice the exponentially increased amount of rust in your tail pipe, mufflers, cats , headers etc. Notice these rust from the inside out. Even salted roads dontkeep up with this rate of corrosion. So what is the egr system really, a good scam on an unsuspecting victim. The auto industry wins again, they have a nerve calling exhaust an inert gas.

Just my two cents worth, Well maybe four.
MLM
lol this isn't a diesel.

Quick Reply: Trivial EGR Pipe Removal