LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

opinions on exhaust

Old 07-14-11, 06:06 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on exhaust

Hi I'm getting some exhaust work done Saturday.

Right now my rear mufflers or off.
I like that sound but wish it was a little louder in the cab.

Should I just add some pipe and new tips with no mufflers??

or should I remove the resonators and mufflers??

or should I remove the resonators and add magnaflow rear mufflers with new tips.

thanks
Old 07-14-11, 06:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my old set up was straight pipe from header straight to a magnaflow muffler. that was a nice tone with a little raspiness. but i had leaks at the flanges so it was a little louder.

[youtube]GbWIATrPdco[/youtube]

now im running obx mufflers and still no drone but a very nice deep growl.

Old 07-14-11, 06:50 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

I like the obx better which ones do you have thanks
Old 07-14-11, 09:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qjDAVF37E
(2 years old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhLK_Uu435c
(3 years old)

bassier in real life.

2.25in x-pipe to mufflers
also, search for the exhaust thread.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-15-11 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 03:09 PM
vaughn37
Pole Position

thanks I have watched all the videos and searched still a tough decision .
But I am going to have the resonators removed and putt 2 magnaflow univeral mufflers with new tips..

I already had the magnaflows on there.but left the resonators.and it sounded stock to me.

the guy did not do such a good job.my tips where crooked and the hangers you could see from the rear and side.so I wasted 260 bucks..gonna go to another place tomorrow
Old 07-15-11, 03:33 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup. Sound quality is a little funky coz it was in the garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuevZyWgnWE
Old 07-15-11, 03:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

too loud vin...lol what u use to record?
Old 07-15-11, 04:12 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Right now I'm running the rear muffler delete mod. Definitely increases the sound a bit but, as posted, it is still pretty quiet.

When the time comes, I plan on doing twin 2.25 pipes from the OEM Cat. Converters to an X-pipe and then to two mufflers exiting at the rear bumper. A friend of mine has a similar setup on his '91 LS...sounds excellent!

Mike
Old 07-15-11, 04:20 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a d90 to record it
Old 07-15-11, 07:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wind buffeting, make sure the cam and mic are out of the exhaust flow. if you still have problems use an external mic with a wind jacket.
Old 08-07-11, 04:32 AM
vaughn37
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
my old set up was straight pipe from header straight to a magnaflow muffler. that was a nice tone with a little raspiness. but i had leaks at the flanges so it was a little louder.

[youtube]GbWIATrPdco[/youtube]

now im running obx mufflers and still no drone but a very nice deep growl.

what obx mufflers or those?
Old 08-07-11, 09:29 PM
alha
Driver School Candidate

Not to hijack your thread, but a quick related question. I have a 2000 LS400, and yesterday entered a parking lot with a bad dip as you crossed into it. The car bottomed out pretty hard, in about the midsection. I didn't notice anything right away, but while driving it today noticed the car had a little more exhaust 'tone' to it. Took me a couple minutes to put it together, and figured that I had most likely damaged the exhaust system. I didn't have access to a lift, so I am guessing at this point, but am pretty sure that's what's going on. I Googled 'LS400 stainless exhaust system', and couldn't find a thing, and would prefer to avoid the dealer and their 'value pricing', but don't really trust any of the local exhaust shops to work on my Lexus. Plus if I could pick up a little performance with nearly stock sound quality, it would be a bonus. Do you know if anyone makes a pre-made system, or will I have to roll my own? I know it's 11 years old, so that could make it more difficult. Any leads/direction/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

*edit* Seems I didn't look quite far enough, on 3rd page of results I found one: an Autocouture LS400 Exhaust System, Our Price $2160.00. Umm, as this is the 1st time looking for one, is this the going rate for a stainless exhaust for the LS400? If so, a repair may just be in my future as opposed to an upgrade/replacement.

Last edited by alha; 08-07-11 at 09:34 PM. Reason: found one $ystem..
Old 08-07-11, 10:43 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alha
Not to hijack your thread, but a quick related question. I have a 2000 LS400, and yesterday entered a parking lot with a bad dip as you crossed into it. The car bottomed out pretty hard, in about the midsection. I didn't notice anything right away, but while driving it today noticed the car had a little more exhaust 'tone' to it. Took me a couple minutes to put it together, and figured that I had most likely damaged the exhaust system. I didn't have access to a lift, so I am guessing at this point, but am pretty sure that's what's going on. I Googled 'LS400 stainless exhaust system', and couldn't find a thing, and would prefer to avoid the dealer and their 'value pricing', but don't really trust any of the local exhaust shops to work on my Lexus. Plus if I could pick up a little performance with nearly stock sound quality, it would be a bonus. Do you know if anyone makes a pre-made system, or will I have to roll my own? I know it's 11 years old, so that could make it more difficult. Any leads/direction/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

*edit* Seems I didn't look quite far enough, on 3rd page of results I found one: an Autocouture LS400 Exhaust System, Our Price $2160.00. Umm, as this is the 1st time looking for one, is this the going rate for a stainless exhaust for the LS400? If so, a repair may just be in my future as opposed to an upgrade/replacement.
Ya most pre-made exhausts that your going to find for an LS are going to range from 900-2000 dollars. I would just ask around for a reputable exhaust shop and have them seal the exhaust back up instead of going to a dealer or having something fabbed up.

As for picking up a little more performance, there is a pretty extensive thread on here about exhaust design for the LS.
Old 08-11-11, 08:01 PM
alha
Driver School Candidate

Well, I dropped it off at the dealer to have the exhaust looked over, to change the oil, and try to identify the noise from the front of the engine, which sounds like a idler pulley making noise. I expected a call back with an appraisal of the situation by the end of the day, along with an estimate, but haven't heard back yet. Either they're quite busy (I didn't have an appt), or they've found more issues than I was expecting. I'm sure I'll hear back tomorrow, here's hoping that it isn't terribly serious, other than what I had figured for the exhaust. Still trying to find a high quality exhaust shop, we'll see how that one goes.
Old 08-13-11, 03:08 PM
alha
Driver School Candidate

Picked it up today, wanted a little over a grand to fix it, so I stopped into the parts dept to get the price on the x pipe and gaskets. Came to about a little under $900. Wow. I'm still hunting for a high quality exhaust shop around here, I just need to stop working the 10-12 hour days so I have time to look. No way I am replacing it, I will fix it. Boy are they proud of their parts...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: opinions on exhaust