LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Where do I get a new Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 03:46 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do I get a new Power Steering Pump?

Anyone know where I should look for a power steering pump? I want to change the idle-up valve too. Should I stick with OEM or is NAPA good enough? It seems as though the front bearing is worn on mine. The pulley has woble in it and it's making a whirring noise. I considered rebuilding it. Anyone know where to get a rebuild kit that includes the bearings? I'm just not sure I want to spend that much time doing the job.

Give me some input. Let me know what you guys think and where I should look. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
LSnewb (06-02-22)
Old 09-18-02, 12:35 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post it depends....

FusionMan79,

I had mine rebuilt a few months ago using the Lexus kit and it has worked fine. These parts are built like a tank so if you are going to rebuild it yourself or have a shop do it that will guarantee it, I would go for the rebuild kit. That being said, if you want the quickest way with the longest guarantee, I would go for an aftermarket part with a lifetime warranty. If I remember correctly, the pump at a local chain here was about $160. The kit was about $30 and two hours of my mechanic's time ($130).

Good Luck,

GA400
Old 09-18-02, 02:14 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Is the kit put out by Lexus? Would I get that from the dealer? Do you happen to have a part number? Thanks.
Old 09-18-02, 04:01 AM
bigdon
Driver School Candidate

dude i got my from autozone for about 120 plus core which was 40 bucks, it was rebuilt and didn't come with resevior
Old 09-18-02, 10:41 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: it depends....

Originally posted by GA400
FusionMan79,

I had mine rebuilt a few months ago using the Lexus kit and it has worked fine. These parts are built like a tank so if you are going to rebuild it yourself or have a shop do it that will guarantee it, I would go for the rebuild kit. That being said, if you want the quickest way with the longest guarantee, I would go for an aftermarket part with a lifetime warranty. If I remember correctly, the pump at a local chain here was about $160. The kit was about $30 and two hours of my mechanic's time ($130).

Good Luck,

GA400
I Plan on moving to GA in about 6 months or so. Who is your mechanic and what part of GA is he in?
Old 09-18-02, 10:43 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by FusionMan79
Is the kit put out by Lexus? Would I get that from the dealer? Do you happen to have a part number? Thanks.
Sorry dude,

I don't have the part number. I would recommend giving Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota (SupraTRD here on club lexus) a pm message and asking him.

GA400
Old 09-18-02, 05:38 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power Steering Rebuild Kit 04446-30173. Book list from Lexus is $31.75
Old 09-18-02, 10:25 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: it depends....

Originally posted by Lexozz

I Plan on moving to GA in about 6 months or so. Who is your mechanic and what part of GA is he in?
Hi Lexozz,

My mechanic is John Minozzi. He was the top mechanic for Nalley Lexus here for a number of years and went independent 3 years ago. His shop is called Ozzi's and it is in Roswell off of hwy GA400. His website is still under construction www.ozzis.netfirms.com - it has his numbers and address. His shop stays busy and he always welcomes Club Lexus members. He loves Lexuses as much as we do.

Regards,

GA400
Old 09-19-02, 10:03 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: it depends....

Originally posted by GA400

Hi Lexozz,

My mechanic is John Minozzi. He was the top mechanic for Nalley Lexus here for a number of years and went independent 3 years ago. His shop is called Ozzi's and it is in Roswell off of hwy GA400. His website is still under construction www.ozzis.netfirms.com - it has his numbers and address. His shop stays busy and he always welcomes Club Lexus members. He loves Lexuses as much as we do.

Regards,

GA400

What's up GA400!

Thanks for the info. I'll be moving not too far from Roswell. I'll keep this info handy, Thanks again!
Old 10-15-02, 01:56 AM
toddatroos
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Don't bother with replacing the idel-up valve. This valve has no real use and an OEM part at about $260. If yours is bad, just plug the opening in the pump and plug the vacuum lines off. Also, if you are replacing the pump, make sure you clean out the filter screen down on rack. This screen is located on the speed sensitive steering solenoid that is screwed into the pressure valve on the rack. You actually might try this first before doing the work on the pump. Your pump may be fine (word to the wise after many, many headaches with LS power steering!)
Old 10-15-02, 09:16 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

The pump is definitely bad. The pulley is making a whining noise and fluid has been sprayed all over the engine bay. I'm not totally sure if it's leaking from the resevoir but if I can get the resevoir with the pump I'd really like to do that. I'm also not sure if the fluid is coming out of the idle up valve but I have every intention of replacing it. I've already noticed the car losing power on sharp turns. The idle up valve increases engine rpms to account for this loss of power to the steering pump. The way I drive, I need this to work. I want to find a used valve but I'm not sure which other toyota cars use this part. I know there are several.
Old 10-21-02, 07:06 PM
Pilot
Rookie

I simply bought a new OEM steering pump from Bell Lexus in Phoenix which has discount Internet sales. Phone 602-866-3300, and ask for Internet parts sales. If you don't say Internet sales, you may be changed more. I think I paid about 160.00 plus shipping.

Pilot

91 LS400
Old 10-21-02, 08:00 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Check with our vendors here on ClubLexus. Sewell Lexus, Keyes Lexus, Lexus of Manhattan, and TM Engineering.
Old 10-22-02, 10:51 AM
thedon67
Driver School Candidate

Please forgive me if I ask a stupid question, but I'm both new to the forum and to this subject.

My '90 LS is also leaking power steering fluid. I have to top it off every few weeks. I just called my local Lexus Svc dept asking about the Power Steering Rebuild Kit.

They told me they don't recommend it and want to sell me a new pump and lines for $1200. That seems very pricey. If I wanted to do the kit they are saying about $300 in total. Which also sounds pricey based on what I read above.

Should I just get the kit and ask my local mechanic (who I trust) to do the rebuild? Or is there something else I need to worry about. I don't appear to have any of the other problems that I have read in other threads (alternator issues, etc...). Just the whinning sound if it got too low (which I haven't let happen since I figured out what was going on).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I'm very glad I found this forum.

Don
vin 660 -- one the very first off the line!
LSnewb (06-02-22)
Old 10-22-02, 11:10 AM
Pilot
Rookie

I would recommend getting the new oem pump for 160.00, (see prev message post) but then again I am not familiar with the rebuild kit. The pump is not hard to replace. The new pumps are slightly different and have been upgraded in quality. The older pumps were known to leak.
If you let this go too long, it will take out your alternator which is located below the leaking pump.

Pilot

91 LS400
LSnewb (06-02-22)

Quick Reply: Where do I get a new Power Steering Pump?