LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

water drip from water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 05:20 PM
wcoastls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water drip from water pump

ok so yesterday morning, before starting the car, i saw some drips under the car, checked it and it was water. and it seemed to have come from the middle hole in water pump. some white water marks around it etc.

water pump was replaced about 35k miles ago by dealer and warranty expired.

but this morning, no dripping at all. thermostat was replaced just recently.

could it be gasket? hope it's not water pump....
Old 07-12-11, 05:30 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by wcoastls
ok so yesterday morning, before starting the car, i saw some drips under the car, checked it and it was water. and it seemed to have come from the middle hole in water pump. some white water marks around it etc.

water pump was replaced about 35k miles ago by dealer and warranty expired.

but this morning, no dripping at all. thermostat was replaced just recently.

could it be gasket? hope it's not water pump....
I doubt its the t/stat. There is no gasket but rather an o-ring. If you did the water pump, did you also do the t/belt? If you did, no honest mechanic, especially a dealer wouldn't warranty that. The job should be good for at least 75-100K miles.
Old 07-12-11, 06:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

dye the coolant and check it in a couple days.
Old 07-12-11, 11:45 PM
wcoastls
Rookie

i meant gasket for water pump. but yeah, timing belt, tensioner, water pump all changed before i bought it. even did the pressure test at local shop today. it was fine. will try dye method soon. but it was strange to see water drip when car wasn't even started at all. although it was parked in driveway which is bit uphill.
Old 07-13-11, 07:32 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

On the ground, was it water or coolant? Some of those white water marks on the engine don't mean it's a leak. I got marks all over my engine, Idk if it could be from the humidity or something. Is the drips of water on ground from A/C, or did it rain recently, could have water in the body panels coming out seeing how it's on a hill. That's if it's water and not coolant. Taste it.
Old 07-13-11, 03:03 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But don't swallow it! Antifreeze tastes very sweet that's why some animals are attracted to it. The bad news is it is poisenous!
Old 07-13-11, 04:52 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wcoastls
i meant gasket for water pump. but yeah, timing belt, tensioner, water pump all changed before i bought it. even did the pressure test at local shop today. it was fine. will try dye method soon. but it was strange to see water drip when car wasn't even started at all. although it was parked in driveway which is bit uphill.
Did they use a metal gasket or RTV, or combination of both? Some of the gaskets I've seen are pretty flimsy. I don't think I'd use it just by itself. Dealer only warrantys parts/labor for up to 35K?
Old 07-13-11, 09:21 PM
wcoastls
Rookie

i did the white paper towel test, and not pink. it's def. just h2o. called the dealer, they warranty parts/labor for 1 year. so it's expired for mine. not ac, deanshark. it drips very little from right in middle/front of the car by water pump.

if too much water in system, will it leak from water pump like that? because i filled it to top over cold level line before.
Old 07-13-11, 10:07 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If its pure water, how could it be the water pump?

It must be condensation, or rain water trapped somewhere, or you ran the AC/defogger or something, or the door drain plugs are clogged, or leaky windows, or windscreen washers.
Old 07-13-11, 11:33 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

if its anything other than a water pump leaking from the the middle hole of the water pump......how can it be anything else?

cant be evaporator...thats behind the water pump.....its behind the whole entire motor !

if you have water leaking out of the weep hole of the water pump.....its the water pump.

regardless.
Old 07-14-11, 06:24 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can any hole in the water pump be seen without partial disassembly of covering parts of the engine??
Old 07-14-11, 07:47 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by etex
How can any hole in the water pump be seen without partial disassembly of covering parts of the engine??
woah....one thing at a time.

if he saw water from the weep hole of the water pump........

you and I are on the same page though.

maybe the timing covers are missing..?
Old 07-14-11, 08:07 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steve2006
But don't swallow it! Antifreeze tastes very sweet that's why some animals are attracted to it. The bad news is it is poisenous!
It was sarcastic, but even if ya just tasted it, it wouldn't poison you. Old timers, including myself a little when I was younger, used to taste dripping fluids to tell what they were. (that doesn't mean drink a gallon, just tiny taste)
Anyway, the OP never said he actually saw the water drip from the pump, just white marks. If it's straight water it's not from the cooling system.
Old 07-14-11, 09:41 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
It was sarcastic, but even if ya just tasted it, it wouldn't poison you. Old timers, including myself a little when I was younger, used to taste dripping fluids to tell what they were. (that doesn't mean drink a gallon, just tiny taste)
Anyway, the OP never said he actually saw the water drip from the pump, just white marks. If it's straight water it's not from the cooling system.

he did so imply he did.

originally he stated....seemed to have come from the middle hole in water pump.

and that whole tasting coolant thing, "they" are starting to implement the bitter guard. it makes it taste less yummy to prevent the animals from liking it.....guess it follows for people too.

and its too bad, cuz its going to taste like kool-aid without sugar.
Old 07-14-11, 10:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by emarknot
he did so imply he did.

originally he stated....seemed to have come from the middle hole in water pump.

and that whole tasting coolant thing, "they" are starting to implement the bitter guard. it makes it taste less yummy to prevent the animals from liking it.....guess it follows for people too.

and its too bad, cuz its going to taste like kool-aid without sugar.
NO he didn't say it was deffinately coming from the hole. He said saw drips under the car and it seemed to come from the hole. Just b/c there's white marks near the hole doesn't mean it is leaking. How can ya see the hole anyway, I doubt he's driving around without all the timing covers on. But either way it's not coolant, it's just water. So he must just have water marks toward the center of the engine. Or maybe there's nothing leaking and it's just water that was on the ground, maybe it's from the A/C that drained the night before and didn't evaporate. It's just water.
Just as an example, say you have oil on your oil pan, does that mean it's leaking? Maybe, but it can also be from the filter, valve covers, or maybe you spilled oil when pouring in a quart.
Moral of the story; investigate more, don't jump to conclusions.
Not the water pump, or gasket. You did a pressure test and it's fine, your car isn't overheating. It's just water.

Quick Reply: water drip from water pump