LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay $23.99 dash kit... X930BT?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 07:22 PM
rishi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay $23.99 dash kit... X930BT?)

Okay, so this is about the same 1998 LS that i have going on in another thread, well the mechanical work is looking good and almost done.. just gotta do a full polish and detail on the outside and now i'm off to work on the interior...

before starting i want to ask a few questions (i wish i did this prior to the engine work, would have saved me a lot of time, oh well you learn)

I want to do a Navigation install Double din... i hear that when you install it you lose the subwoofer... a lot of those posts were old and before a harness was made so i want to know what you guys thought of this one on ebay for $23.99,

Double Dash Kit WITH Harness.... is this goign to allow me to keep the Subwoofer???

Also to Mention I have the Premium Stereo.. Nakamachi, (which i hear isn't good??)

What are your experiences with the Head Unit install with this Harness.. is this Harness even good? is this Dash kit even good? will it look good once its installed? im sure some of you have this installed.. please post some pictures guys!

The stereo that i want to install is going to be the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT.. Do you guys have any opinions on that? its going to cost in the neighborhood of $550 and to me looks the best out there, and the most functions.. Your thoughts?

Thanks guys for you help, esp drifter and deanshark.. always love everyones feedback.

this LS Build is getting fun now, i love doing the interiors... keeps my hands clean.

Here are the ebay Links for the Dash Kit..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stere...item4cf51680f1
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay .99 dash kit... X930BT?)-2085950.jpg   Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay .99 dash kit... X930BT?)-avic-x930bt_reg.jpg  
Old 07-07-11, 07:32 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping tuned to this post. Want to know the same thing!

Losing the subwoofer wouldn't bother me because I intend on replacing the factory driver with a better one (JL Audio, etc..) and powering it with it's own amp connected to the head unit's sub output anyway. The only other concern from what I read about not using the beatsonic kit is the antenna. Not sure what to do about that.
Old 07-07-11, 07:36 PM
rishi
Rookie

yeah i understand what you mean... i really don't want to replace the subwoofer cause i think everything sounds just fine.. just would like to add navigation to the car, and also some ipod functions... however i wouldnt want to lose out on the subwoofer... i like that.

If i were to lose out on the sub though, i can just replace it with anything and wire it to the back of the head unit?

its my understanding that the Nakimachi radio ( the premium stereo) that i have the amp is underneath the seat? how does that effect with an aftermarket install??

all you guys out there that has done stereo installs with the Nakimachi radio... please reply! thanks everyone!

oh and anarchyx34 i'll let you know what my final result is... just so you have my 2 cents.

plus i'll be posting pictures here of the install while it goes on, just gotta figure out what im actually going to be doing and going to be buying first! lol

thanks!
Old 07-07-11, 07:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i highly doubt that the harness they're selling will work (mainly because it looks like the standard 89+ toyota audio harness that doesnt work on these cars) but it is slightly possible that it will work.

the dash kit will not match, on that front beatsonic is head and tails above the rest, though Scosche makes a kit that isnt total crap.
Old 07-07-11, 07:49 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I think you will find that the harness you are looking at works only with the standard 98-00 LS400 Pioneer audio system -- not in a car that came with the Nakamichi system.

The Nakamichi in my 2000 LS400 is excellent and is especially good at playing very low bass loud and with zero distortion. Since you are asking, my assumption is that your Nakamichi isn't working.
Old 07-07-11, 08:06 PM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i highly doubt that the harness they're selling will work (mainly because it looks like the standard 89+ toyota audio harness that doesnt work on these cars) but it is slightly possible that it will work.

the dash kit will not match, on that front beatsonic is head and tails above the rest, though Scosche makes a kit that isnt total crap.
Yeah.. i was thinking that.. what about the Metra Kit?? have you heard anything about that? the Beatsonic kit is just pricey.. $200 i think. How about the Harness from them?? will that work and keep everything intact?

Originally Posted by Kansas
I think you will find that the harness you are looking at works only with the standard 98-00 LS400 Pioneer audio system -- not in a car that came with the Nakamichi system.

The Nakamichi in my 2000 LS400 is excellent and is especially good at playing very low bass loud and with zero distortion. Since you are asking, my assumption is that your Nakamichi isn't working.
No, the nakamichi is working, and its nice.. its just that i want to have integrated navi.. and ipod features. i know its an 13 yr old car.. but want to modernize it a bit... i love the stock look and hating to replace the stereo... but really the confort and practiability would make me have to bite the bullet and replace the unit... i love the OEM look... so bummed i have to replace that antique stereo which sounds good.

I noticed that you have your stuff stuck on the dash and stuff, and your all for it while im not trying to bash or anything i just dont like stuff cluttered... im sure it works for you and many others, but i dunno i guess im just weird like that...

anyway, all you double din install guys... what kits did you use? drifter to you have a double din kit? if so pics? thanks?

you know where i can get a good price on beatsonic? or only directly from them?

Thanks guys for your feedback!
Old 07-07-11, 08:11 PM
rishi
Rookie

I'm thinking im just goign to buy the Beat Sonic kit for $280 now... the SLA-22 kit ? it says for Lexus Premium Sound and without Navigation... does Lexus Premium Sound mean Nakamichi??
Old 07-07-11, 08:25 PM
rishi
Rookie

Okay, so Premium Sound doesn't mean Nakamichi... however it doesn't say the Nakamichi is NOT compatible.

Is there any Harness out there for a NON Navi- Nakamichi Stereo 98 LS400?
Old 07-07-11, 08:47 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Is that true? That works out well for me then because I don't have nakamichi. What powers the speakers in that case? The head unit? Or does the stock amp get fed the high-level speaker outputs from the head unit?
Old 07-07-11, 11:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

if your headunit says "Lexus Premium Sound/Audio" you have the PIONEER/standard system.

if your headunit specifically says Nakamichi, only then do you have the Nak system.

which one does your car have rishi....you've used the terms interchangeably.
Old 07-08-11, 01:09 AM
rishi
Rookie

Default YO Drifter

if your headunit says "Lexus Premium Sound/Audio" you have the PIONEER/standard system.

if your headunit specifically says Nakamichi, only then do you have the Nak system.

which one does your car have rishi....you've used the terms interchangeably.
I have the Nakamichi... so looks like im pretty stuck with this Factory unit unless i want to wire new speakers, amp... I'm not really interested in that...

I've been doing some research, and looks like PD You got a set up to implement iPod into the car... modernizing this car i think by adding some sort of AUX would do the trick... i guess i could live without the navi and use my phone... but now comes to my questions...

Okay, i like apple.. but after all the headache with the iPhone4 i switched over to android.. and man i love their phones now.. i got the new 3D evo.. while gimicky at first, pretty dang cool.. anyway back to the point. i would like to do that relays and just wire the car but not with a iPod cable.. PREFERABLY if this is even available a "bluetooth" audio adaptor of some sort?? i dont know if this is possible.. if not, i guess just a 3.5 jack and i can plug up my droid to it and stream pandora... and mp3s from my phone instead of ipod...

So what are your opinions on it going with a 3.5 output?? i know it isn't amped so thats my main concern... what you think? will it be enough muffle the cd changer sound?

Also, if you can, can you give me a pin out on a 98-00 LS400 W/Naki??

is there also a place you think would be better to put the relays? glove box or behind the unit? i'm thinking behind the unit so i can wire the switch and audio input easier...

also any ideas of where the switch and audio wires can go? maybe from previous installs youve seen that were great? anything notable.

Thanks PD... appreciate your help...
Old 07-08-11, 01:17 AM
rishi
Rookie

posted to quick... i found a few bluetooth adaptors.. how can i wire these things to be hardwired so they are plugged in and powered at all times.. looks like it needs an USB Charge which is pretty low...
Old 07-08-11, 02:25 AM
Rey
Pole Position

I wouldnt recommend streaming bluetooth as the audio quality is degraded. Even the best head units with built in bluetooth cannot compare to a standard connection. If the post MC ucf20's have the same layout for nakamichi systems as the pre MC cars, I found it easier to tap behind the headunit and hid the relay under the center console. I hid a small toggle switch inside my ashtray behind my air ride controller so you would never know it was there. Im not sure how the preamp quality is of your specific phone, but with my 3GS I was unable to get the same preamp level as the oem cd changer. To get rid of that issue I installed a balanced line driver.

On another note, I bought the scosche dash kit with the intention of running an avic f700bt from my other car but did the hardwired aux input instead for now. The kit is a very very close match to the factory plastic. Im pretty picky about things like that and it didnt bother me at all.

I am now running an Audiopipe ap18001d on 2 dual 4 ohm alpine type r 12s in about 4 cubes tuned to 34hz. Surprisingly its very balanced with the oem setup after tuning.
Old 07-08-11, 02:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you have it backwards, the 3.5 output of pretty much all phones is amplified.

a while back i switched my own system from ipod to 3.5mm input for the very reason you are considering it: pandora on my smartphone lol. you dont have to worry about "muffling" the CD changer, if you read the tutorial you'd know that the relays cut the CD signal to the system and repplace it with the one from your device.
Old 07-08-11, 10:06 AM
rishi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rey
I wouldnt recommend streaming bluetooth as the audio quality is degraded. Even the best head units with built in bluetooth cannot compare to a standard connection. If the post MC ucf20's have the same layout for nakamichi systems as the pre MC cars, I found it easier to tap behind the headunit and hid the relay under the center console. I hid a small toggle switch inside my ashtray behind my air ride controller so you would never know it was there. Im not sure how the preamp quality is of your specific phone, but with my 3GS I was unable to get the same preamp level as the oem cd changer. To get rid of that issue I installed a balanced line driver.

On another note, I bought the scosche dash kit with the intention of running an avic f700bt from my other car but did the hardwired aux input instead for now. The kit is a very very close match to the factory plastic. Im pretty picky about things like that and it didnt bother me at all.

I am now running an Audiopipe ap18001d on 2 dual 4 ohm alpine type r 12s in about 4 cubes tuned to 34hz. Surprisingly its very balanced with the oem setup after tuning.
Rey any pictures? I would like to get around to doing this probably this weekend, just want to arm my self with some research before, unlike when i did the R&R motor....

I want to see how you installed it... would love some pictures..

and as long as the bluetooth quality is better than FM and tape.. honestly i think im fine with that.. i like to have the wireless aspect to it... and i had Bluetooth audio in my loaner 2011 RX350 it sounded Great! so i think if it compares remotely to that im fine with it...
you have it backwards, the 3.5 output of pretty much all phones is amplified.

a while back i switched my own system from ipod to 3.5mm input for the very reason you are considering it: pandora on my smartphone lol. you dont have to worry about "muffling" the CD changer, if you read the tutorial you'd know that the relays cut the CD signal to the system and repplace it with the one from your device.
Yeah PD i read that with the relays is would silence everything out.. i still heard from others though that they still heard the cd.. i dunno... Just wanted to ask....

What is your opinion on the bluetooth audio transmitter??

i found a few by Belkin... what you think? here are some links...

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Belkin...ata/B0047T79VS

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...pd_sim_sbs_e_2

http://www.amazon.com/Xantech-BDXTT-.../dp/B0041GTNM0

The Logitech seems good... what are your thoughts on it.. Rey also... what you think? if the quality will be clear i think i'm game for it... im not looking for something that is cystal clear CD quality sound.. but at least gives me some mobility to change songs, access my phone, while driving, and even have passengers choose too.. plus i hate wires hanging out from places.. if it was a primary ipod for this.. i wouldnt mind cause it would be stored away all the time.. but since its a phone, taking it IN and OUT all the time may be tedious.. id rather to just sit right in, and just pari it up...

what you guys think?

Quick Reply: Installing a Double-Din Stereo in 1998 LS400... (ebay $23.99 dash kit... X930BT?)