LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who wants more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 05:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Question

Who wants more power for their LS400? If you do how much? 20hp, 50hp, 100hp, more? The new Q45 has 335hp, the new Audi S8 has 360hp, AMG Mercedes and M Bimmers. Lexus has been the class leader, UNTIL NOW. As my sig states I am planning on super/turbocharging my car. This should net me apx 100hp. I will be dyno testing my car fairly soon and will have a baseline to compare to. Hopefully I can offer accurate advice to others wishing for small to large gains. My engine is rated at 260hp and I expect the tranny and IRS to eat up apx 50hp leaving apx 210rwhp. My goal is 300+hp. Gotta have a goal
Old 02-26-01, 09:37 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I am planning on the same build up

Jbrady,

As soon as I find a LS400 I am planning a build up on it.

I already have a TC donated by Mean Gean to be reworked by protorque.com.

Then I am going to ad a complete n20 setup,

Progressive controllers, Aux. fuel pump, the works!($1500) Around 100-150hp, if safe.

Other than that I want it totally stock with chrome 98+ wheels.. Total Sleeper.

I wholesale in Nashville and I should find one within a month or so.

C-ya,
Scott
Old 02-27-01, 12:43 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Scott, Great to have a performance minded LS owner aboard. What year car are you considering? I am jealous of MG donation of the TC. I had a used one lined up but it fell through. Guess I will just have to pony up the 9 bills for a new one.
Old 02-27-01, 01:39 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default Sleeper LS

Yeah, I can't wait to build one up.

The tc is just a stocker, I am going to get it reworked at www.protorque.com

I will let you know the quality and the performance of it after they are done. Much cheaper about 395 to rework it.

You could get yours done or try to buy someones stocker.

So what are you going with N20 or SUPER, I really can't see a turbo(actually I saw one turbo V8 here)

It(the turbo car) did not add that much HP to the car for some reason?

N20 sounds like the way to go, If It blows under warranty, just buy a new Plastic elbow and no one will know it was there!! I think you are certified. Right?
Really, I don't think We will have problems with blowing these bullet proof engines.
I guess we will see.

Warranty and REsale value are both saved.

Old 02-28-01, 10:47 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Dubz, where did you see a turbo LS400? If you have a link I would like to see it. All turbos ARE NOT created equal. BTW, that goes for superchargers and NOS also. To mount the supercharger I will have to relocate the ABS brake dist block for the centrifugal or the water inlet for a roots. I would mount the turbos very low and use a scaveng pump to return the oil to the engine. I am very much still in the planning stages and would love to see anyone elses work. Good luck with the reworked TC, keep us posted.
Old 03-01-01, 06:18 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Talking turbo V8

It was actually in a SC but it was the V8. It was posted on this board here.

The LS has even less room than the SC. THe SC is very easy to work on compared to a LS.(front of the engine)

Ask around in the SC board, I think Spirit home aka anthricite (new name) posted it.

I will let you know on the TC.

Scott
Old 03-01-01, 10:49 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I have looked at SRT's supercharger and a Eaton based system out of Japan. Generally it is easier to supercharge than turbo but I am not sure on this LS400. If I can get the turbos to fit in the low position it will be great. I also would consider a full on roller wave soft head buildup ala TOO www.theoldone.com Larry Widmer of Endyn is an engineering genius.
Old 03-16-01, 04:01 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Default where??

I've been looking into getting some extra horsepower, as well as just some better overall performance, but I'm having some trouble finding places to look. I'd like to find a cold air or forced air intake but nobody makes one anymore. I saw Rod Millen had on for my 93 LS400 but its discontinued. Any suggestions on where to find one??? Also, I'd like a Borla exhaust but haven't seen one on the web. I guess I was hoping I could find one web page with everything I want!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Keep the posts for the LS's coming!!
Old 03-17-01, 01:07 PM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default I can get U the adapter

I just found and adapter plate for the Mass air flow unit so you can put a conical k&N in it.

It makes the car sound mean at take off.

Does not really make you much faster.

The adapter (no filter) is $38.00, I just ordered 2, if you want one let me know.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-19-01, 08:33 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

No thanks on the adapter plate right now, I just got the K&N replacement filter...but I might want it later...let me know how you like it...

anybody know the cheapest place to get a Borla catback system??? Ive read (on this sight) that its not too loud...I want my LS to have a nice rumble but still sound like a luxury sedan, not a muscle car...

thanks for the quick reply..
Old 03-19-01, 08:55 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Borla exhaust are discontinued, sorry.
HKS is planning to come out with one.
I'm planning to purchase it.
I'll keep yall updated on the exhaust.
Old 03-19-01, 11:14 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Good to see some hp diehards. I am thinking about building a high flow air intake setup for our cars. I would definitely like to see the adapter you have found. Post if you have pics. The best way to do an intake is like Swift with a larger diameter than the throttle body. This creates a high pressure area in front of the TB that improves flow. This coupled with a proper feed to the MAF and you have a performing setup. The sound should improve as well. I will get going on this once I get my business priorities settled.
Old 03-21-01, 02:48 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Loule,

any kind of timeframe on the HKS exhaust???? I have to leave the country for about 6 months (military) so I can wait...that's when I'm getting my wheels, tires, springs and shocks...it sucks not being able to do the mod's now but Im not leaving the Lex in the wife's hands...any other suggestions for performance or appearance upgrades??? I dont think I want a full body kit...maybe just the small spoiler...I'd love clear cover lights all the way around...know where to find any???? thanks to everyone for help...
Old 03-21-01, 02:52 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I just saw in another post that Edogg has an HKS super flow intake, where did you get it, and is it for an LS or does it just happen to fit??? sorry for the dumb questions but I really dont know much about these things....
Old 03-21-01, 04:38 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clears all around and hks superflow intake!

hey zushwa, this is edogg. you can get clear corners and clear taillights at
http://www.autodynamic.com/euro_clear_lighting.htm

here is the information about my hks super flow air intake. the shop that i went too used a GReddy Gracer air intake adapter which was rectagular shaped and he put a 3inch rubber hosing to the adapter and on the other end the hks super mega flow. the holes match perfectly,but the adapter needs to be redrilled for bigger holes because the lexus's screws were bigger than the adapters.
i do not know what size it was because he did not tell me. the next time i go down there i will ask because sc400ondubz needs this information as well.

Last edited by LOTC; 03-21-01 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Who wants more POWER?