LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First post here! and a question (rear engine mount/transmission mount)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 06:10 AM
Speedboat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post here! and a question (rear engine mount/transmission mount)

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here. I am the proud owner of a beautiful 2000 LS400 (79k miles). I've been lurking a bit here and I have already learned a ton.. what a great resource this forum is!

Now for the question (and I apologize if it is a silly one -- I've never done much beyond an oil change..)

Do I need to support the engine and/or transmission when replacing the rear engine mount (transmission mount)? I have a whining sound that moves up in pitch with the RPMs at low speed, but only occurs when the vehicle is actually moving. I have done a couple of "drain and fills" with Type T-IV, so replacing this mount is my next step to try to get rid of this noise.
Old 06-26-11, 06:20 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

first, learn how to do a search. you will find photos showing you how/where to support it, and YES to answer your question.
Old 06-26-11, 06:37 AM
Speedboat
Driver School Candidate

Wow.. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regarding your comment: I think I'm quite familiar with how to do a search on this thing called an Internet forum... especially since I have been creating websites since the 90s, and own a web/graphic design company with over 50 clients. I love how you imply that because I'm new to this forum, that I am new to using forums in general. Get a clue.

You're probably thinking that I should have searched and found this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html.

Yes, I did find it. It starts with the replacement of the engine mounts, which I am not doing at this time. Nowhere did it explicitly state that the trans/engine needed to be supported when only changing the trans mount, hence my question.

Anyway, it seems my question has been answered, although I will probably look elsewhere for further information. Thanks for being such a great guy, Billy!
Old 06-26-11, 08:27 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm with you, Speedboat. I have a Camry and visit Toyota nation forum often. The search ***** here are mere brown shirts compared to the full on SS over there. These people are doing a fair job of strangling the life out of what could some lively forums.

I'm going to be doing a trans mount on my '97 LS soon. Many people here do it to resolve a rumbling vibration in the drive line that is worse under power and often at road speeds. Your description of a "whining" noise implies a higher frequency sound than a drive line would likely make. AC compressors, power steering pumps and clogged trans filters can easily whine. If you haven't yet, try checking the ps fluid level. Also see if the whine is there with the ac turned off. Whatever you find, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-26-11, 09:44 AM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Me too speedboat. Welcome to the club. I personally don't have any problem with multiple threads asking the same question (not that yours did) - it often helps me because having several takes on the subject, and having it re-explained in different ways, always does. People aren't always on the same wavelength. What's the big deal anyway, it not that we will run out of hard drives one day.
Old 06-26-11, 10:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Everyone has thier own opinion. Personally, I like the search function better then just posting a question. It's more informative and ya get an answer quicker. If you just ask a question you might get 2 answers saying the same thing an hour later or even sometimes a day later. If ya search you can see what 15-20 different people say in 10 seconds. I don't think that billydpowe actually meant learn how to search, it's just that some new members don't see the search feature at the top of the page or the first thread posted which has alot of peoples normal first questions.
But anyway, this is copied from another thread;
How to replace the trans mount:
Get under the car
Put a jack under the rear of the trans
Remove the four nuts in the middle of the trans crossbracket
remove the trans crossbracket bolts - four of them at 14mm ea
Remove the four 12mm bolts holding the mount to the trans
Put the new mount on with the 12mm bolts
Put the trans cross-bracket under the mount
Put on the 4 12mm nuts and the 14mm bolts
done.
Old 06-26-11, 11:58 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

WOW, didnt realize I was offending anyone, just thought being a first time poster, you could use some guidance. Accept my apologies, and share your knowledge with us, my post was a quickie before I had to leave for church, thinking it might help you...

also, I think yours is like mine, and has a "shield" covering the above application.. that you would want to remove..
Old 06-26-11, 03:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedboat
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here. I am the proud owner of a beautiful 2000 LS400 (79k miles). I've been lurking a bit here and I have already learned a ton.. what a great resource this forum is!

Now for the question (and I apologize if it is a silly one -- I've never done much beyond an oil change..)

Do I need to support the engine and/or transmission when replacing the rear engine mount (transmission mount)? I have a whining sound that moves up in pitch with the RPMs at low speed, but only occurs when the vehicle is actually moving. I have done a couple of "drain and fills" with Type T-IV, so replacing this mount is my next step to try to get rid of this noise.
the answer to your question was actually posted in the thread you linked where it showed a nice big red jack holding up the engine and raising it ~0.5in.

also, if you had searched for the terms "trans mount support" you would have gotten a whopping 4 threads to look through, 2 of which contained the exact answer to your question.

so yes, you could have searched harder, no reason to have an attitude about it.
Old 07-09-11, 03:10 PM
Speedboat
Driver School Candidate

Apologies to Bill and everyone else, I did snap back pretty hard. Everyone has their good days and bad days.

Anyway, thanks for the info.. hopefully I'll get a chance to try this out soon.
Old 07-09-11, 03:55 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

you are among friends..... no grudges
Old 07-09-11, 04:04 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
Me too speedboat. Welcome to the club. I personally don't have any problem with multiple threads asking the same question (not that yours did) - it often helps me because having several takes on the subject, and having it re-explained in different ways, always does. People aren't always on the same wavelength. What's the big deal anyway, it not that we will run out of hard drives one day.
Agreed.

Even though I use the search feature, as a new owner and member here, I normally surf the most recent threads to learn more about the car. So for me, I like multiple threads instead of searching or resurrecting ancient threads.

Thanks for the info guys!

Mike
Old 07-09-11, 06:21 PM
Speedboat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
you are among friends..... no grudges
Thanks Bill.

There is one more thing I'd like to add: I did indeed read the DIY thread PureDrifter mentioned, but like I said before, nowhere did it explicitly say that anything needed to be supported when only changing the trans mount. On top of that, some things I read seem to say that the engine itself needs to be supported, not the trans... and it didn't quite make sense to me, since I thought the jack should go right under the trans pan. This is what confused me.

I came across the service manual online, and according to that you do indeed put the jack under the trans itself when changing the trans mount. Of course this is what makes sense, but I was confused by the conflicting information I was coming across.. I've never done anything like this before, so I just wanted to do it right. (my other thread about changing plugs was the first time I had ever done that.. I actually didn't break anything!)

Anyway, I hopefully this will clarify the situation to anyone who ever comes across this thread in the future. Here's a pic from the manual: