LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking about getting an LS400, got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 06:33 AM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an LS400, got questions.

Hey everyone. I'm looking to replace my daily driver (BMW 328i) with something a little more comfortable. Basically I'm looking for a barge; something to annihilate potholes in. I realized that having a sports sedan in NYC makes no sense since the roads just preclude you from having any type of fun.

From what I can tell the LS400 seems ideal. Great reputation for reliability, smoothness and comfort. Parts seem a little expensive compared to what I'm used to with my experiences with Volvo, VW and BMW, but nothing that will kill me. Overall it seems like a nice ride. I'm probably looking at getting a 1998-2000 model. I've got some questions I'm hoping some of you can answer for me.

-Availability of an aftermarket full-function scanner for ABS, SRS diagnostics? In the event I have an ABS/VSC light, airbag light, etc come on. I don't want to rely on the dealer to diagnose it for me. For VW's there's VAG-COM, BMW's have Carsoft, and I'm hoping something similar exists for Toyota. I know the older models do blink codes, not sure if they eliminated it for newer ones.

-Air suspension. Is a large percentage of these equipped with it? Because it's something I'd rather not have anything to do with on any car.

-Is the Nakamichi stereo only available with NAV? I don't want the outdated NAV system, but would like the better speakers. One of the first things I plan on doing is getting rid of the stock stereo for something more modern.

-I didn't see a buyer's guide thread here, so I'm wondering what I should look out for when purchasing one of these. What commonly breaks?

-I don't think these were equipped with a limited slip differential. Can one swap in? Like maybe from a Supra or something? Traction control is only partly helpful in the snow but nothing beats a true LSD.

-Is there a trip computer of any kind? Like the type that shows average MPG, fuel tank range, etc? I know there's a LCD display in the cluster but I'm not sure what it does other than tell you when your door is ajar and things like that.

-Where's everyone's favorite place to buy parts?

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-24-11, 09:34 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm a newbie still, but I did just buy a 99. As far as I can tell they only things that regularly break are things like the hood struts, and rubber bushings.

The LCD display does have current, tank avg, and average gas mileage, range, avg speed, and tank distance as well as a drive time counter. It will also tell you if you have a tail light out.

I believe you can get the Nak system w/o the Nav option. It will say Nak on the unit otherwise it's a pioneer (Which I like alot).

I suggest looking for a model with the HID headlights and heated seats too, but that's just because it's cool.
Old 06-24-11, 02:18 PM
anarchyx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson
I'm a newbie still, but I did just buy a 99. As far as I can tell they only things that regularly break are things like the hood struts, and rubber bushings.

The LCD display does have current, tank avg, and average gas mileage, range, avg speed, and tank distance as well as a drive time counter. It will also tell you if you have a tail light out.

I believe you can get the Nak system w/o the Nav option. It will say Nak on the unit otherwise it's a pioneer (Which I like alot).

I suggest looking for a model with the HID headlights and heated seats too, but that's just because it's cool.
Good to know it has trip functions, I like gadgets like that. HID's would be nice but heated seats are a MUST. Most cars in this area have them though since our winters are cold and miserable.

Seems the only things that go wrong with them are nonsense; LCD screens, bushings, etc... I've yet to come across a post about a transmission or engine blowing up. I asked on some of the other forums I frequent and the consensus is that these are pretty much bulletproof.