LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 10:39 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...

I bought my 1990 LS400 in February because I needed a second car to drive while travelling on business. It was in good condition when I got it, and has very low miles for the year at 78K so I figured it has a ton of life left in it.

Even though this car was meant to be a cheap, reliable daily driver, as usual I couldn't leave well enough alone (I'm love cars too much) and I decided I am going to restore the car as time and money permit.

Mechanically, the car was in good condition but needed a few things. Since I purchased the car I replaced the HVAC LCD screen, replaced the sway bar and control arm bushings with Daizen Poly bushings, replaced O2 sensors, replaced the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, gave it a fresh oil and filter change with Mobil 1, and swapped out the brakes with new ceramic pads and new rotors on all four wheels.

Once the mechanicals were taken care of, I decided the stock stereo had to go. I had an Alpine in dash double din nav head unit installed, hd radio and bluetooth, Focal 5 1/4's components in the doors, Alpine 5 channel amp and JL W3 sub in the trunk. Good thing I replaced the stock system, the old speakers basically disintegrated into dust when I removed them.

Finally, the stock 15 inch rims HAD to go, so I replaced them with 19 x 8.5 rims and new Hankook tires. I know most of you are into the huge dish VIP rims, but I decided that I would rather put the money into the rest of the car so I made a compromise with these. I'm happy with the look. I had the car completely repainted in the factory Black Jade Metallic, and had the whole car painted that color (stock was green with gray two tone). I tinted the windows, and replaced the rear tail lights with Red/Clear/Red's. I put Sylvania Silver Star's in, put clear corners on and bought a new OEM Lexus Grill to replace the old worn out one. Final step was new OEM emblems, and stainless door pillar trim.

At this point, other than new exhaust tips, the entire exterior of the car is new or better than new condition, which was my goal. I love the car and will now turn my attention to restoring the interior. I'll have pics of that process as I go.

I know I have way more money into this car now than I would ever get back if I sold it, but I love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time and I enjoy seeing the car come back to life.

Here is the car when I purchased it, and the way it looks now.
Attached Thumbnails Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-g-wlvg-me-kgrhqmokjee0ijb6g80bnmgnmihrq-_4.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-angle.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-front-angle.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-back.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-and-bmw.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
9400Chief (04-15-22)
Old 06-20-11, 10:45 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

One more thing, I have the air suspension, and I think it is stuck on the "high" setting. The rear has about a 4 inch gap between the tire and the fender. I have Megan EZ Coilovers on the way (purchased from forum supporting vendor Circuit Motorsports) and will replace the air suspension and lower the car. That should be complete by next week.
Old 06-20-11, 10:53 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

Couple more pics...
Attached Thumbnails Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-rear-angle.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-rear-angle-2.jpg   Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...-lexus-side.jpg  
Old 06-20-11, 11:40 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done! I wasn't very lucky with my LS400 purchase.
Old 06-21-11, 12:24 AM
ls400love
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good bro! Post some pics after the megans are installed
Old 06-21-11, 12:52 AM
freshnikez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get those chrome pillars? Dope restoration!
Old 06-21-11, 12:59 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

great job!
Old 06-21-11, 01:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

looks good
Old 06-21-11, 04:59 AM
jltibbs
Driver School Candidate

I think it looks great man. The wheels give it a little bit of that Mercedes look, but super clean. I think if my LS had that low of miles, I might spend a little more on her. As it stands now, she only gets necessities.

As far as the factory air suspension is concerned, why didn't you just go with one of those controllers? Just a thought.
Old 06-21-11, 07:17 AM
feetsies
Rookie

Color looks great. Where did you get the tail lights?
Old 06-21-11, 07:27 AM
jdog0411
Rookie

Got the chrome pillars and the tails off of Ebay. The pillars are excellent quality and just adhere right over the existing pillars with 3M adhesive. The tails fit very well and went in with no problems. They included new bulbs and the clear front corners came with them as a package. The fit and finish is good, but not OEM quality. I'll see how they hold up over time.

I agree about the rims...does look a bit Euro but that's ok with me. I really like some of the wheel packages other forum members here have with the deep lips and rolled fenders but I wasn't going to put 4-5K into rims for this car. I also want to keep the car driving as close to stock as possible without getting too crazy. The current air setup is good, but the car is a little too "floaty" for me. I get a lot of body lean in the turns even with the new bushings, so I opted for the Megans to lower the car's CG and give me better handling. I will keep the air components in case I want to go back to it later. I'm used to a stiffer ride anyway, as I have been driving German cars primarily (the BMW in the pics is mine as well).

Thanks for the compliments, I'll post more pics when it get's lowered and as I re-do the interior.
Old 06-21-11, 09:39 AM
feetsies
Rookie

Great, thanks man!
Old 06-21-11, 01:27 PM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks really good. Nice to see that people thinks it wort to restore these vehicles.

But I do think that the first gen LS400 will be a future classic, or thats what I tell my self when I spend money on my car
Old 06-23-11, 09:24 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Great job on the resto
Old 06-23-11, 10:02 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job! Looks good without the 2 tone, wheels do make it look euro but that's not a bad thing at all.

Quick Reply: Just Finished Completely Restoring My 1990 LS400. Pics Inside...