LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

audio head unit modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 10:52 AM
jerryparks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio head unit modification

I picked up a good used Nacimichi head unit with all components working last week. I like it because of several reasons. However, Since it does not have a
CD player, I am wondering if I can get a CD player only modification and install it in the ash tray? I dont smoke and that would seem to be the best place for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ( I also have a lot of
cassette tapes that I want to use in the Nac unit- so I have another reason for using the original unit.) Thanks for you help!
Old 06-13-11, 09:14 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

if its a 90-93....it will not fit. I have a 91 and if I make a fist, thats how much room I have.

your best best is a cd changer in the glove box,the center console or the trunk.

maybe get an install kit, cut it way down to the size of the ashtray bezel and go fron there. in my opinion, it would look quite silly.

another option, a portable cd player and a $20 rf modulator and put the player in the glove box.

do it right,do it clean or walk away with your head down.

and this is a repost. it wont work with a clean look.
Old 06-14-11, 08:32 AM
jerryparks
Driver

I wonder if I could just buy a good 6 disk CD changer and install in the trunk using the existing connectors from the old CD changer? Are there any adapters out there that would enable me to do a simple plug-in and play using the trunk connections? The old
CD changer had problems and is not working. Also I dont the CD holder that goes into the changer for the CDs.
Old 06-14-11, 09:31 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryparks
I wonder if I could just buy a good 6 disk CD changer and install in the trunk using the existing connectors from the old CD changer? Are there any adapters out there that would enable me to do a simple plug-in and play using the trunk connections? The old
CD changer had problems and is not working. Also I dont the CD holder that goes into the changer for the CDs.
I've never heard of an adapter for that but if you're gonna keep it in the trunk ya might as well get a used stock CD changer from the junkyard. If that, too bad you aren't closer b/c I got 6 cartridges I don't need. (for a $$$) You might want to ask these questions in the audio section, I think you'd get more answers.
Old 06-14-11, 09:58 AM
jerryparks
Driver

I guess I could try and hook the old changer back up and see if it'll work with
a cartridge. Are these old OEM units reliable enough to make the effort?
Thanks for your help. BTW: How much do you want for a couple old
cartridges?
Old 06-14-11, 10:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Idk how reliable they are. I've had my car almost 2 yrs and I've never even tried my CD player. I don't use CDs, I'm a radio man. I could tell you they're great just so you'd take the cartridges off my hands , but I aint like that. I'll PM you later about those.