Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Check engine light & O/D off light --- Tried everything

Old 06-04-11, 04:50 PM   #1
rob328
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Angry Check engine light & O/D off light --- Tried everything

Hey everyone, I actually own a BMW e36 and e30, and I've done quite a bit of work on them (swapped/rebuilt engines, ect..)

One of my best friends has a 1994 LS400, and she called me saying the "Check engine light and O/D off light flash continuously" as she drives. So I google'd it, and found this page: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Looked easy enough to figure out what the problem was, until I tried it. I am following the steps exactly how they are written. With the car in neutral, A/C off, I connect pins E1 and TE1 in the diagnostic port located under the dash on the driver side. Then I turn the key to "ON" and the check engine light and O/D off light just continue to flash indefinitely, with no pausing or pattern.

Also, I read up on here that code 42 is commonly thrown which will make both lights flash like this, so I purchased and actually replaced the front vehicle speed sensor on the bellhousing of the transmission and the rear one by the rear of the transmission with no luck. I also pulled the fuse for the EFI after I replaced the sensors. The lights continue to flash and will not give me a code..

Anyway, I came here for some help! I just want to fix this thing so my friend doesn't have to take it to the dealer and pay tons!

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rob328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 05:09 PM   #2
Privateer
Rookie

Get it to a shop with a code reader, would be my first stop. I wasn't able to get those codes to work for me either, using those same directions. Without a reference point, there isn't any reason to spend money on parts. Good luck.
Privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 09:07 PM   #3
LEXTEK1
Rookie

E1 and TE1 will flash fast if there are no codes stored. If you have an overdrive light flashing while driving, there is a code issue. Connect E1 and TE2 to put it in test mode. Drive in test mode and see if codes appear. If no codes, suspect a leaky capacitor in the engine/trans ECU. Take cover off of ECU and look for blackness oozing out on the circuit boards.....
LEXTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 09:07 PM

Tags
325i, back, check, continuous, dd, drive, e30, engine, flashing, lexus, li, light, lights, od, overdrive, sign