LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Iphone mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 05:16 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone mount

Looking for ideas for a mount for my Iphone 4, preferably something that will mount high, preferably above the radio around dashtop level. I already have a charger, just need some type of universal mount. I've been thinking about finding a universal mount on a long gooseneck and bolting it to the ashtray so it could be removed when not needed. What brought this on was a recent half day trip on the highway that started with my speedo & tach going dead 10 minutes into the trip. Never happened before, but I was able to download a free speedometer app so I could set my cruise speed. Of course, 10 minutes after this my speedo came back then later my tach restored. Gas & temp gauge never failed and the backlighting stayed on so it's gotta be a problem in the cluster. But if it happens again I'd like to be able to have my phone close to eye level when driving so I can use the speedo app without taking my eyes off the road for too long.
Old 06-01-11, 04:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Look at the mounts and iPhone 4 holders from Pro.Fit: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/universal.htm

Maybe the speedo/tach issue is a loose connection. A lot of these were replaced on the 98-00 LS400 under a TSIB when these cars were under warranty.
Old 06-01-11, 06:25 PM
Supralaju
Rookie

http://www.garminmount.com/garmin_gp..._solutions.htm

Sometimes it can be universal
Old 06-02-11, 04:54 AM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Mounts

I actually have a Garmin GPS, tried that mount but didn't fit, my Iphone has an Otterbox case which is bulkier than the sleeve type cases. I wound up ordering a Slipgrip case that's made just for the Iphone Otterbox with a suction cup mount and a Proclip mount for the LS400. I plan to remove the holster portion of the Slipgrip and bolt it to the Proclip mount. If you go to the Proclip site and pull up the LS400 mount you'll get a nice pick, it appears to actually attach above & below the fascia around the upper dash vents with about 2 or 3 inches of standoff, so it wouldn't block the airflow as much as the universal clip-on-vent mounts would. Looks like it will put it high enough without interfering with my view of the road, and within reach if I need to use the GPS maps app on my phone.
Old 06-02-11, 04:45 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one of those VIP tables that mount on the vents n put the iPhone inside the cig slot?
Old 06-06-11, 10:21 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Proclip was the ticket

The Proclip mount bolted to the SlipGrip holder was the solution, just took a hacksaw to the SlipGrip and bolted it to the Proclip mount. Wish I could take the credit for this but someone has an excellent website writeup for doing the same to their 2003 Subaru, mount is solid and doesn't move when using the touchscreen, mounts between the two vents and doesn't block much of the airflow, the controls between the vents are still accessible. Sorry no pic with phone mounted, that's my camera too:
Attached Thumbnails Iphone mount-iphonemount1.jpg   Iphone mount-iphonemount2.jpg  

Last edited by Wanderson; 06-07-11 at 07:48 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-07-11, 11:23 AM
fatcat2
Driver

wow i like how this is done, i had one where it either had to be stuck somewhere with glue or attached via the vents. it kind of broke the vent in my other car so i was not about to do that in my lex. i think im going to have to do this. write up or post the link if you could please.
Old 06-07-11, 12:57 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Solid mount

The Proclip mount is solid, it comes with a beveled tool to spread the gap at the bottom of the vent fascia, wasn't difficult but I almost thought I was gonna break something when I pried it open enough to slip the bottom of the Proclip mount in, then the top just popped right into place. The mount has some predrilled holes so if Proclip has a mount/holster that will work for your application then the two just screw together with no drilling. I think it's actually strong enough to hold a 16 oz drink, I was originally looking at this mount for that purpose, but my recent intermittant speedo failures make my phone mount a necessity.